Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

I hate lawyers, too. nevertheless...........

Yeah well the lawyer should have kicked the gun out of his hand or tried it from behind that tree position.

He's 64, overweight, and a lawyer, last I heard unarmed combat isn't part of law school teaching.

He's 64, overweight

I think that was the gunman.

The lawyer was 50 something and overweight. tounge_o.gif

The lawyer was 50 something and overweight. tounge_o.gif

he doesnt look overweight

story.victim.jpgrock.gif

wtf did he just walk away that cool after shooting someone? Didnt even bother to check whether he was dead or not?

Jee what a pshyco... crazy_o.gif

wtf did he just walk away that cool after shooting someone?

Well, he had a court appointment. tounge_o.gif

Seriously if this wasnt a real situation , and was a TV sitcom i'd be laughing at the stupidness of people invloved here ... crazy_o.gif

I mean someone shoots someone in braod daylight , he ducks behind a tree and isnt shot properly .. the murderer then leaves as cool as humpty dumpty going to get an incecream and TV crews are busy filming the whole thing ....

Just becasue so many people on this forum liek guns kind of blinds them that it's not an issue.  wink_o.gif

or that some just need to blame something by bringing somewhat irrelevant argument.

Quote[/b] ]The way that man was shooting was totally learned from TV. It was a social shooting, not a combat/hit type of operation.

yup. even i would not shoot like that.

Yeah well the lawyer should have kicked the gun out of his hand or tried it from behind that tree position.

you 've been watching too many movies.

Just becasue so many people on this forum liek guns kind of blinds them that it's not an issue. wink_o.gif

or that some just need to blame something by bringing somewhat irrelevant argument.

Believe what you want Mr. Wiggum. biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]The way that man was shooting was totally learned from TV. It was a social shooting, not a combat/hit type of operation.

yup. even i would not shoot like that.

LOL, well no you actually enjoy shooting like others enjoy alcohol, you go to a shooting range. wink_o.gif This was a really silly kind of shooting... you probably saw it.

to make it more stupid....

If those camera people where smart the walked too the guy and asked an live report biggrin_o.gif

... when I heard about this I also though 'only in America' :P

I don't think it is necessarily a gun control (laws) issue.

Our gun laws have been getting stricter and stricter down here over recent years to the point where you can no longer legally own a hand gun with a caliber > .357. Auto and semi auto rifles/ shotguns (except in very limited circumstances) were banned a long time ago and we have never been allowed to own SMGs.

Yet over the last say 2 months all you have heard on the news is 'another drive by shooting today', 'another man shot', all supposedly with 'banned' or stolen (they steal them from security guards) weapons. Our guns control and enforcement laws are very strict now; the problem remains getting rid of the black-market trade. Once you get rid of that maybe out gun control laws will work better.

No ralph when your in a no-win situation , you have to try depserate measures instead of thinking ... oh no if i do that theres a chance of me getting hit or th bullet might hit me... crazy_o.gif ..damnit the bullet is gonna hit you either ways better die fighting to save yourself rather then standing and doing nothing ...get my drift no hollywood involved here wink_o.gif

Please folks, lets not turn this into yet another gun control debate...

If you want to debate the gun control issue, please use this thread (the thread still hasn't passed it's "use by" date yet):

Gun control thread

No ralph when your in a no-win situation , you have to try depserate measures instead of thinking ...

not just any acion, but one that will produce a good result. trying to kick the gun out of hand is one of the stupidest thing ot attempt. you are better off to grab his arm and point it away and drag him down.

I read it on the paper this morning while drinking coffee, aparently the shooter wasnt very pleased with his lawyer and shot him but didnt bother to check if the guy was dead or not, i think he was very lucky and im glad he didnt die smile_o.gif .

Wtf, the worlds a mess, couldnt he just punch him in the head or something, how can someone try to take anothers life just like that?

Stupid humans, urgh crazy_o.gif .

i think he was very lucky and im glad he didnt die smile_o.gif .

I suppose most of us would be, though for some lawyers, an exception could be made. smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Wtf, the worlds a mess

Mayby your world but not mine. It's interesting to note where all thus mess comes from, and then somehow, the mess slowly creeps into other nations. I know the word for it, but don't want to unnecessarily upset anyone for fear of an invasion! j/k tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]couldnt he just punch him in the head or something
Or.............just talk to him. rock.gif, then mayby fire him.
Quote[/b] ]how can someone try to take anothers life just like that?
Because their values on human life have been debased. It's kinda a reflection on so so many things at so many levels.
Quote[/b] ] Stupid humans, urgh crazy_o.gif .
Hey, not all of us are privilaged enough to still be a primate. tounge_o.gif

No ralph when your in a no-win situation , you have to try depserate measures instead of thinking ...

not just any acion, but one that will produce a good result. trying to kick the gun out of hand is one of the stupidest thing ot attempt. you are better off to grab his arm and point it away and drag him down.

Yes yes the same my point was to say that he should have tried to wrestle him to the ground or something in other words try and fight and not play hide and seek tounge_o.gif

with all circumstances counting, the lawyer's best chance was what he did. he was literally ambushed and he did a very smart thing by hiding behind the treee, thus presenting less of crucial organs

i saw some more of the news and some more tidbits.

the lady at the phone was calling her friends when the whole thing happened. and was dressed in Hooters costume for halloween. tounge_o.gif she did dial 911 after the shooter started walking away

the man who tackeled down the shooter works at the courthouse. he is also a reserve deputy. for those who are not familiar, reserve deputies are those who get paid $1 or some small amounts per month to do the LEO work as a volunteer. they have to go through police academy(not the movie) just like full timers, and work just like them, for certain hours on weekends.

he apprently went out, and passed the shooter. when the cameraman pointed out the shooter, he took his jacket off and tackled the shooter. the shooter actually heard the deputy gaining on him and turned around just as he was about to be tackeled.

the lawyer who was shot recovered and talked to reporters today. he has 5 bullets lodged in him and one almost hit his artery in neck.

Well, he's alive.

If he had have tried wrestling him instead of dodging around the tree, he may well have been dead.

Can't argue with success tounge_o.gif

Gee 5 bullets and he stood up ? Thats my point it might have been one if he had resisted though alls well that hes alive biggrin_o.gif

But 5 bullets and he bloody stood up i dont think i could crazy_o.gif

The whole scene was so unreal for me. If someone's being shot I expect somethink like a lot of blood spraying from his body and the bullets making big holes and tearing his clothes apart. That's how I am affected by TV and movie effects... crazy_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Because their values on human life have been debased. It's kinda a reflection on so so many things at so many levels.

Im sry but the primate didnt really understand, how can someone have so little respect for human life? Are people really that superficial and primitive? Is there an excuse to take a life? Sure we live surrounded by many other humans who we dont give a fuck about, but how can one come to the conclusion that a specific person doesnt deserve to live?

Animals have an excuse for being irrational but what about people? Perhaps modern society should be blamed for the lack of humanity in this so called modern world, human life is precious and society should be based on preserving it no?

Premature death saddens me, the death of a person i dont know makes me think sometimes... motivations, feelings, personality, friendship, its not just another animal is it?

Quote[/b] ]Hey, not all of us are privilaged enough to still be a primate.

My friend, i take that has a compliment, although im quite rational and wouldnt be able to live with someones death on my conscience even if i was protecting someone i love.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/11/03/lawyer.shot.ap/index.html

Quote[/b] ]LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A lawyer who survived a gunman's attack that was captured on videotape said he never met the suspect until the assault and is grateful he survived.

Gerry Curry, 53, was released Sunday from a hospital after being shot at close range by a man identified by police as William Strier, 64. Curry was shot in his arm and neck.

Dramatic television footage from crews covering Robert Blake's murder case Friday showed Curry, of Simi Valley, trying to hide behind a tree as Strier fired a revolver outside the Van Nuys courthouse.

"It's weird. It's the kind of thing that always happens to someone else," Curry said. "This is the thing you see on TV, but this time it happened to me. But the main thing is that I survived, so I'm very grateful."

Quote[/b] ]"A man walked up to me and said 'Are you Mr. Curry?' and I said, 'Yes, who are you?' and then he just shot me," Curry said. "I didn't even see the gun. I heard a pop and I knew I'd been shot because the blood spattered up in my face."

Quote[/b] ]Because their values on human life have been debased. It's kinda a reflection on so so many things at so many levels.

Im sry but the primate didnt really understand, how can someone have so little respect for human life? Are people really that superficial and primitive? Is there an excuse to take a life? Sure we live surrounded by many other humans who we dont give a fuck about, but how can one come to the conclusion that a specific person doesnt deserve to live?

Animals have an excuse for being irrational but what about people? Perhaps modern society should be blamed for the lack of humanity in this so called modern world, human life is precious and society should be based on preserving it no?

Premature death saddens me, the death of a person i dont know makes me think sometimes... motivations, feelings, personality, friendship, its not just another animal is it?

Quote[/b] ]Hey, not all of us are privilaged enough to still be a primate.

My friend, i take that has a compliment, although im quite rational and wouldnt be able to live with someones death on my conscience even if i was protecting someone i love.

I think you swapped my quotes around with your reply, no big deal. smile_o.gif

About the primate thing: You said: Stupid humans, urgh crazy_o.gif . My reply about primates is about how primates (monkeys, chimps, gorrilla's) e.t.c. are our like the human races ancestors.

The fact that the shooter had no qualms about trying to kill a fellow human makes, makes him inhuman, likening the shooter to an animal. Hence he's more of a primate (the humans close relative) than an actual human, since the shooter seems to have disregarded his humanity, thus he's missing a evolutionary link that sets humans aside from primates. wink_o.gif

You were on the right track and got my point, and none of my comments were directed at you, they were more or less a satirical analysis of the quote: Stupid humans, urgh crazy_o.gif.

About:

The fact someone can calmy and collectivelly just shoot someone for no apparent reason, reflects a little on the society in which it took place, as well as the values within that society.

Not to generalise it too much, but for example, if you were to wave at someone you don't know in a small village your passing through, chances are, you'd instantly get a wave back, because thats the freindly thing to do. wave at someone randomly in a large city. Wave or say hello to someone you don't know, and you'll be shrugged off, or at least that random person will be reluctant to wave back. Can you see what I'm saying?, because I know the arguments obscure. wink_o.gif

For some reason or another, the shooter didn't even have time to think about the feelings that came with trying to take anothers life. It reflects life in a city. People don't have time to be freindly, or in this case, the shooter didn't have time to feel anything.

Just a 'Are you this person?'

'yes?'

Bang.

End of Story.

No anger, saddness, provocation. Or anything. sad_o.gifrock.gif