Sign in to follow this  
Powerslide

Usmc lav 25

I'm not going to make it into a tank class.

'unhappy customers' are just one of the many tradeoffs we were forced to make to finally release this addon. The only way it is going to perform more like a Tank classed vehicle is if BIS releases a patch.

I like it as it is too. Im glad you dont plan to do the "tank class" thing. It performs well as-is. Im curious though as to what your plans are for version 1 seeing as this is labeled as v.9r.

My rig is:

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (800 MHz buss)

1 GB PC 3200 DDR-2 Ram

Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb running Catalyst 3.8

so it's not the system "power" but possibly the new 3.8 drivers...

I'll do some more testing after my field excercise this weekend to see if I can nail down where my problem lays. smile_o.gif

You might be interested in this thread Jotte:

Catalyst 3.8 Drivers Warning!

Since I have an Nvidia card I cannot confirm or deny, but might be worth testing. smile_o.gif

For those lagging in optics view drop your terrain LOD, or adjust your Anti-aliasing to lower settings.

My rig is:

Pentium 4 2.8 GHz (800 MHz buss)

1 GB PC 3200 DDR-2 Ram

Radeon 9800 Pro 128 Mb running Catalyst 3.8

so it's not the system "power" but possibly the new 3.8 drivers...

I'll do some more testing after my field excercise this weekend to see if I can nail down where my problem lays. smile_o.gif

You might be interested in this thread Jotte:

Catalyst 3.8 Drivers Warning!

Since I have an Nvidia card I cannot confirm or deny, but might be worth testing.  smile_o.gif

I can however confirm it. I have an Radeon and Runned the 3.8's my pc crashed after an few minutes of playing an game because of the heat........back to 3.7 and im all fine now

I like it as it is too.  Im glad you dont plan to do the "tank class" thing.  It performs well as-is.  Im curious though as to what your plans are for version 1 seeing as this is labeled as v.9r.

The only way it's going to make 1.0 is if we figure out how to fake the turn-out animations. It's currently in the works, but the chances are slim, though the plan is pretty clever (and a bit goofy).

Anyone else ever get a fault of when loking through the gunner optics, you suddenly see a guy (presumably your driver) sitting in front of you, blocking your view? I am thinking maybe it's some kind of addon conflict, becuase I have a ton of stuff installed at the moment...I will post a screenie later if it helps...

I like everything except all the hatch animation options. Sometimes the all-important "get out" command gets bumped down by

"open commander hatch"

"close left door" etc.

I know there's always those begging for eyecandy, but IMO gameplay should come first. But I can accept being one of those 'unhappy customers' if the need for those features outweighs my complaint biggrin_o.gif

Also, I don't know much about configs for vehicles, but I noticed that I can't switch weapons with spacebar when I'm a gunner. Is this needed to give the wheeled vehicle class coaxial weapons? Again this goes back to the action menu things, it sucks to go through 'useless' animation options when I just want to get a bigger gun.

Aside from that, thanks very much for thinking about the poor USMC soldiers over at Digital Grenade who hardly have any vehicles to cart around in. Those boots were getting worn out, and the Russians didn't really like sharing their BTRs anyway.

Thx Leone, the culprit seems to have been the 3.8 drivers. Reverted to 3.7 and the lagg disapeared. smile_o.gif

Anyone else ever get a fault of when loking through the gunner optics, you suddenly see a guy (presumably your driver) sitting in front of you, blocking your view? I am thinking maybe it's some kind of addon conflict, becuase I have a ton of stuff installed at the moment...I will post a screenie later if it helps...

Yes Fubar, that's unavoidable due to the wheeled class. It's a pain but it's a sacrifice.

I agree with Earl, having extra stuff in the actions menu is sometimes a hassle, but I think the intention is to set those up as an eventhandler for the turn out animation that is planned, Sigma can clue you in more. We talked about using the action menu to cycle weapons, he had some lame excuse, I forget now tounge_o.gif .....Sig??

Np...I'll make a new topic troubleshootin' smile_o.gif

Yes Fubar, that's unavoidable due to the wheeled class. It's a pain but it's a sacrifice.

Wow, thats quite a big bug though...I mean, you can't see to fire at someone right in front of you, because there is a seated body in the way.

The BTR addons don't seem to suffer from this though...maybe because they don't zoom the optics? If it came to a choice, I think more people would be happy with an unzoomed optics view than some geezer hovering in your face while your'e trying to aim a shot...

Anyway, enough complaints. The model itself, textures, and sounds are A+  smile_o.gif

Well Fubar, I guess it would be a trade of sorts if the optics were fixed to not zoom. I agree, it's an irritating thing. Many moons ago when this was being discussed Suma posted they would fix the wheeled armor class then at a later time he said it was buried too deep in the code to fix. I bet they have it working good in OFP2 though. IMO this has come a long way since Sigma first started the project, it was in his back pocket for a very long time as we had hoped for a fix to the class. It came to a point where he could at the very least release a pretty decent representation, so it was decided to go ahead. AI doesn't seem to mind it anyway biggrin_o.gif and it makes some great eye candy. I prefer the drivers seat myself.

The BTR addons do zoom the optics.

I don't know what causes it. . . (the hovering driver) I've been posting to see if anyone knows what might cause this, but nobody seems to have seen it before.

As for the weapon selection, Earl, it's like that because I had to configure the weapon to load realistically. . . The LAV-25 has a dual-feed 25mm chain gun, and once you fire off all your ammo in both feeds, it takes six minutes to reload. . . I wanted to reproduce this, and that is the way it comes out ingame. . . I don't have too much trougle with it, given that it's exactly what happens when you switch from AP to HEAT in a normal Tank anyway. . .

------I can't get over the fact that if the car class weren't disabled (IE, if there were a patch), all we'd have to do would be to config this normally and none of these bugs would occur. . . I don't much like the idea that it reflects on my addon-making ability.

The BTR addons do zoom the optics.

I don't know what causes it. . . (the hovering driver) I've been posting to see if anyone knows what might cause this, but nobody seems to have seen it before.

As for the weapon selection, Earl, it's like that because I had to configure the weapon to load realistically. . . The LAV-25 has a dual-feed 25mm chain gun, and once you fire off all your ammo in both feeds, it takes six minutes to reload. . . I wanted to reproduce this, and that is the way it comes out ingame. . . I don't have too much trougle with it, given that it's exactly what happens when you switch from AP to HEAT in a normal Tank anyway. . .

------I can't get over the fact that if the car class weren't disabled (IE, if there were a patch), all we'd have to do would be to config this normally and none of these bugs would occur. . . I don't much like the idea that it reflects on my addon-making ability.

I was pretty sure there was a good reason. Thanks for the explanation. Overall, its well done given the problems you have to work around. Better than not having one just because the wheeled apc class can't be done perfectly.