Sign in to follow this  
jakerod

1985 equipment

I was in service in 1985 and I don't recall getting issued a bedroll or even seeing anyone with one

So which stuff did you get which doesn't come with BIS US soldiers? What about body armor and helmets?

I've read that G.I.'s were issued PASGT armor and fritz helmets in 1983, but some still have worn the M1 helmet.

Were soldiers in Grenada still wearing the old Vietnam jungle uniform or did they already have BDUs?

I think the soldiers in Grenada had BDUs. Im not positive tho.

Does anyone know when the RPG-29 was first used?

And would it make a good AT weapon for Resistance soldiers in 1985?

If the answer to the 2nd one is no what would make a good AT weapon (Edit: Other than the RPG-7)?

$33ker @ Oct. 10 2003,08:38)]
I was in service in 1985 and I don't recall getting issued a bedroll or even seeing anyone with one

So which stuff did you get which doesn't come with BIS US soldiers? What about body armor and helmets?

I've read that G.I.'s were issued PASGT armor and fritz helmets in 1983, but some still have worn the M1 helmet.

Were soldiers in Grenada still wearing the old Vietnam jungle uniform or did they already have BDUs?

I think the 82nd Airborne was just starting to get the Kevlar helmet in 1983 so it was probably early to middle 1986 before regular units started to get them. I also doubt some garrison on Malden would be high priority. The PASGT had been around since 1978 I believe.

I think M1 Helmets and M16A1s would be more accurate for the troops on Malden but the difference it would make in the campaign is purely asthetic.

If the answer to the 2nd one is no what would make a good AT weapon (Edit: Other than the RPG-7)?

Road side explosives seem to be quite effective.

1) RPG-29 was first deployed in the late eighties, according to: http://microbalrog.fuzioncentral.net/arsenal/FuzionArsenalvI.pdf

2) Therefore, no, it wouldn't mak for a good weapon for anyone to use in 1985. A good AT weapon for resistance depends on whose backing them, CIA or KGB? If Russian, mayby the RPG-16, basically an improved RPG-7. Besides, the RPG-7 is one of the most deadly AT weapons out there. Taking choppers out it Somalia and Tanks out in Chechnya.

Ya i know the RPG-7 is quite a deadly weapon. But ive been asking all this for a MOD and the RPG-7 has been done a lot and I wanted to get something different.

Still not sure what pistols the russians or americans would use tho.

Ya i know the RPG-7 is quite a deadly weapon. But ive been asking all this for a MOD and the RPG-7 has been done a lot and I wanted to get something different.

Still not sure what pistols the russians or americans would use tho.

OK, then try the RPG-16

rpg-16.jpg

The US Army started replacingg the colt 1911 in 1985 and replacing it with the M9 that year, the M11 didn't come around until 1992.

1911.jpg

M9.jpg

So what you use depends on how well supplied the unit is.

The Russians, Makarov SA/DA , Tokarev T-33, whats already in game is a pretty good representation.

makarov.gif

pist_TT33.jpg

The Russians might have had AT-4 SPIGOT for AT back in 1985, not 100% sure though:

at4.jpg

Yet another guess regarding CAS:

su17_03.jpg

The Su-17 FITTERs were built around 1970-1990 and was used for ground attack purposes.

Who can forget the Sgt York  tounge_o.gif

M247.jpg

I thought the M247 was canned. Or at least canned only after a few units were made. There was so many things wrong with it, they just gave up on it. Something like the turret was too slow to track fast targets, the radar got confused when the guns fired, and other stuff like that it could'nt keep up with M1's and stuff.

I thought the M247 was canned. Or at least canned only after a few units were made. There was so many things wrong with it, they just gave up on it. Something like the turret was too slow to track fast targets, the radar got confused when the guns fired, and other stuff like that it could'nt keep up with M1's and stuff.

Spot on. The M247 was a perfect example of how not to develop a weapon

It seemed nobody considered that the intergration of systems from such a wide variety of  sources might be difficult, plus with the thing mounted on the M48 chassis it simply couldnt keep up with the M1's and M2's coming into service.

The program was cancelled in 1895 after people realised it wouldnt work.

Apparently at one test it demolished a portable toilet after  its fire control radar mistook the extractor fan for the rotor blades of a chopper  wow_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Few More Questions:

What kind of MG, Rockets, Assault Rifle did the British Royal Marines use in 1985?

What kind of boats would they have used?

What kind of boats would the United States Army invade an island in if Marines weren't avaliable?

Few More Questions:

What kind of MG, Rockets, Assault Rifle did the British Royal Marines use in 1985?

What kind of boats would they have used?

What kind of boats would the United States Army invade an island in if Marines weren't avaliable?

Google around for images of a little something called the 'Falklands War'. Thats where you'll find decent pics for 1985 UK gear. smile_o.gifwink_o.gif

Hmmm, US, invasion. Mid-eighties. Small island. I'm thinking Grenada. But why wouldn't marines be used? Invasion from the sea is like the specialty that would make the marines most suited for such an invasion. If marines weren't used, maybe a sea invasion would be out of the question all togeather.

I'm thinking Special Ops insertion taking a small airstrip, then any invasion force come in by air, and going from that.

okay thanks guys.

Ill tell you a little about the plan.

Its not grenada its fictional. Its on a huge scale and will be quite realistic assuming i get some more modelers, scripters and animators.

First: SEALs HALO jump in and take out SAM sites

2nd: US Airborne jump in onto the island

3rd: US Infantry secure a beachhead and begin to bring in tanks

Hey guys I have some more questions...

Does anyone know where I can find pictures of these units in 1985...

US Army Airborne (82nd or 101st)

US Army Infantry

US Special Forces

Russian Infantry

Russian Airborne

Russian Special Forces

Hey guys I have some more questions...

Does anyone know where I can find pictures of these units in 1985...

US Army Airborne (82nd or 101st)

US Army Infantry

US Special Forces

Russian Infantry

Russian Airborne

Russian Special Forces

These aren't exactly what you're looking for, but they might help.

They're photos from an Army Ranger taken at various times during the 80s.

Link

thank you that helps out a little bit, anyone have anymore?

Nobody else huh? *BUMP*

Okay unless someone else posts I will not post here again unless I have a new question.

Thanks im taking a look at it right now.