Sign in to follow this  
nycgamer

Which shooting games have set the standard?

Yeah, that's a good point ~ was Half-Life's A.I. really any good or just heavily scripted? One thing is for certain; either way, they only had about 3 bot models throughout the whole game! I'm sure HL2 won't be like that. Apparently the A.I. in Kill Switch is going to be quite sophisticated. The enemy will use all of the same tactics available to you, including cover and blindfire, but also communicate and work as teams to take you down.

Easy way to tell if something is scripted or AI: Do the same thing again and see if the enemy reacts the same way. And again and again. Hence you can see that the AI in HL isn't scripted, but the special sequences are: eg the exposions at the start, the sound-tentacle grabbing the scientist.

The actual fire-fights with the grunts are not scripted. They had revolutionarily good AI.

MOHAA, on the other hand, had terrible AI and loads of scripting.

Yeah but SEAL team was very buggy and had some real problems at start.

Maybe they fixed the problems later.

Nice concept though smile_o.gif.

BM

What sort of bugs/problems  rock.gif I never had any problems with it, it ran straight out of the box and I never needed any kind of patch for it rock.gif

I meant EA:s game a decade or so back not the PS2 game.

Maybe it got patched later but the reviews were pretty tough on it.

BM

I can't believe nobody's mentioned Counterstrike......

Yes, I know it's a Halflife Mod. But I reckon it influenced FPS quite a bit.

My personal favourite before OFP was the R6-series, due to the ability to take controll of the other squads an issue orders etc....

But they hardly raised the bar or set any standards. Especially since they more or less got their ideas from Rogue Spear (and the INF mod for UT).

BM

I seem to remember Counterstrike coming out before Rouge Spear. It could be old age starting to set in and messing up my memory though tounge_o.gif

I seem to remember Counterstrike coming out before Rouge Spear. It could be old age starting to set in and messing up my memory though tounge_o.gif

Would be hard since not even Halflife was out by then smile_o.gif. Though not many months separated them.

BM

PAH !  

Airborne Ranger was the Daddy and the C64 pwned all !!

( R.I.P. Micropose... and their manuals... and their keyboard overlays...  sad_o.gif  )

Airborne Ranger was on my amstrad dusty CPC464 too ;)

I had fun being prone in those trenches trying to infiltrate an enemy base .

One of the first, if not the first tactical action game that involved stealth

I spent many hours playing this on my A500. The vehicles ranged from surfboards and tanks, to helicopters and bicycles.

Please tell me at least one of you has played this classic.

Hunter is one of my all time favorites I've played on A500. smile_o.gif

Time to install Amiga emulator on my new computer. biggrin_o.gif

Isn't that illegal?

I spent many hours playing this on my A500. The vehicles ranged from surfboards and tanks, to helicopters and bicycles.

Please tell me at least one of you has played this classic.

Hunter is one of my all time favorites I've played on A500. smile_o.gif

Time to install Amiga emulator on my new computer. biggrin_o.gif

Isn't that illegal?

No since you need to buy Kickstart for Amiga(sold legally). In order to play games you also need to own the original UNLESS they have given the green light (many developers have)

Btw whatever happened to that "new" Amiga they were supposed to release?

BM

Yeah but SEAL team was very buggy and had some real problems at start.

Maybe they fixed the problems later.

Nice concept though smile_o.gif.

BM

What sort of bugs/problems  rock.gif I never had any problems with it, it ran straight out of the box and I never needed any kind of patch for it rock.gif

I meant EA:s game a decade or so back not the PS2 game.

Maybe it got patched later but the reviews were pretty tough on it.

BM

PS2rock.gif?

Mate, I am talking about the PC game, released in 92 or 93, it came on three 3.5" disks. I never read any reviews on it, saw it in the shop and thought "That looks cool". Bought it and was very happy with it.

Easy way to tell if something is scripted or AI: Do the same thing again and see if the enemy reacts the same way.  And again and again.  Hence you can see that the AI in HL isn't scripted, but the special sequences are: eg the exposions at the start, the sound-tentacle grabbing the scientist.

The actual fire-fights with the grunts are not scripted.  They had revolutionarily good AI.

MOHAA, on the other hand, had terrible AI and loads of scripting.

I see what you mean.  Thanks for explaining that ~ so simple, and yet I don't think I really put my finger on it before.  Now I'm going to look for that more often.  Halo, is definitely not prescripted.  Battlefield 1942 isn't scripted.  MOHAA is definitely heavy in scripting, like you said.  I still have a lot of fun playing that game though.  Kill Switch definitely won't be scripted.  In fact, I'm excited to see what the enemies are like in that game.  From reading the description of the A.I. capabilities, it should be pretty challenging.

1996: Age of Empires: I loved that game until Empire Earth came out. tounge_o.gif

I also like playing Blitzkrieg and since then I no longer play WW2 FPS games. But I am eagerly waiting for a full OFP WW2 MOD to be released.

I think you can have the best out of combined arms engagements when the game is an RTS.