Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Isabel - overrated?

The Isabel thread was my alternative version but I thought maybe (as usual) media is hyping this to extreme proportions.

Has there been any effects whatsover?

Btw, Metreologists are weird types. Why do they give something horrible like this such beautiful names? Couldn't they have called it Saddam or Adolf or something?

BM

they come up with names A-Z before hurricane season starts, and the first hurricane has a name starting with A, the seconde with B and so on.

they come up with names A-Z before hurricane season starts, and the first hurricane has a name starting with A, the seconde with B and so on.

Ok but how about...Ivan The Terrible, that would fit better smile_o.gif

BM

Maybe if you´re trying really hard to make people panic! biggrin_o.gif

Or it tells us something about the Metreologists social life. It's probably the closest they get to the opposite sex. smile_o.gif

BM

The Isabel thread was my alternative version but I thought maybe (as usual) media is hyping this to extreme proportions.

Overrated? I don't know. This looks pretty convincing:

isabel_hake463.jpg

I would not want one of these heading for my neighbourhood. wow_o.gif

I would not want one of these heading for my neighbourhood.  wow_o.gif

Yes BUT; Those things allways look bad on images but when they clash with the inland climate they usually drop most of their power. At least AFAIK.

From what I've read it's more like a heavy storm so far.

BM

Yeah, Isabella the first of Spain was.. um.. well.. when her husband Ferdinand died she kept his rotting corps in her chambers for over three years crazy_o.gif

Btw, Metreologists are weird types. Why do they give something horrible like this such beautiful names? Couldn't they have called it Saddam or Adolf or something?

Not so beautiful #1.

Not so beautiful #2.

smile_o.gif

"A woman who is regarded as evil and scheming."

That sounds like the typical woman to me blues.gif

:evil grin:

BM

Yes BUT; Those things allways look bad on images but when they clash with the inland climate they usually drop most of their power. At least AFAIK.

BM

Well, I know nothing about meteorology, but the effects so far have been fairly noticable. You have 500,000 people without power and over 100,000 have been evacuated. Washington DC has been shut down. I think that goes beyond a heavy storm.

Here's by the way a more recent satellite picture (about three hours old)

tropsat_720x486.jpg

I heard that it's a category 2 (out of 5) hurricane, that can cause moderate dammage and hopefully no casualties, other than some of those holding hurricane parties in the area. crazy_o.gif

It looks quite nasty indeed.

Looking at this picture one wonders what sort of life living on the Azores would be. There seems to be plenty of nasty storms over the Atlantic.

Well; We Swedes should be bracing ourselves too, this hot summer is likelly to give us some brutal storms later.

BM

BM

Well, I know nothing about meteorology, but the effects so far have been fairly noticable. You have 500,000 people without power and over 100,000 have been evacuated. Washington DC has been shut down. I think that goes beyond a heavy storm.

Here's by the way a more recent satellite picture (about three hours old)

[ig]http://maps.weather.com/images/sat/tropsat_720x486.jpg[/img]

where do you find that info? ( images/map's etc etc )

what category did the one back in 1999 have? I noticed that it was extra windy today here in sweden. But i guess it has nothing to do with this.  smile_o.gif

edit: waffen, maybe here

smile_o.gif

I took it from here.

A more general question: Does anybody know any page with real-time satellite data. And I mean real-time. Just about every page that claims to have it features images at least a couple of hours old.

One would think that of the hundreds satellites in orbit at least one's data is streamed to the internet. rock.gif

what category did the one back in 1999 have? I noticed that it was extra windy today here in sweden. But i guess it has nothing to do with this.  smile_o.gif

edit: waffen, maybe here

smile_o.gif

Tnxs Sppeddy donkey and Avondlady.

I took it from here.

A more general question: Does anybody know any page with real-time satellite data. And I mean real-time. Just about every page that claims to have it features images at least a couple of hours old.

One would think that of the hundreds satellites in orbit at least one's data is streamed to the internet.  rock.gif

Cash is king you know smile_o.gif. Live data can be aquired at the right price. SMHI.se for instance.

This is something, updated every 6 hours but for more details you need to pay.

http://www.smhi.se/weather/satelitbilder/satellitbilder.htm

BM

Found these pretty good links;

About Isabel in general (where else);

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/Isabels_Engine.html

National(US) Hurricane center has pretty much hourly updates.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Btw, I recommend clicking the sat movie on the NASA site, it's very well done and VERY FRESH

BM

Overrated? I don't know. This looks pretty convincing:

http://www.dn.se/content/1/c6/18/32/34/isabel_hake463.jpg

i do. tounge_o.gif  wink_o.gif

it's particular interest since unlike most hurricanes, it is directly heading to inland, instead of ususal curbing of eastern shores.

most residents of east coast who would be effected already evacuated and got prepared in advance(like a week ago)

I took it from here.

One would think that of the hundreds satellites in orbit at least one's data is streamed to the internet.  rock.gif

Good luck man, I couldn't even get realtime sat shots while serving in the Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command as a an assistant forecast duty officer!

Here's a great source for the regularly scheduled weather charts and analyses:

National Weather Service Fax Charts

Sat Shots:

NWS GOES-East images.