Sign in to follow this  
Walt

Damage effects

I think it's not realistic when i shoot a one bullet to the soldiers right leg, but the both legs are in blood, and full of holes. Should be better, if a one shot will make a hole right there where you shoot, and another to another place. It will not be bad, only realistic, if a satchel charge will broke the man in pieces. And, a shot with a Colt .45 will not make that big hole than Barret or something else. And if you shoot the man with a Barret to the heart, there should come really much blood, pieces of meat and heart, and other things out from the other side. And, if you lie next to the dead body, your uniform will be bloody in few seconds.

And, this would make combat more realistic: the bullets go trough the humans. If you shoot a man and there's another man behind him, the another man will be dead too. Post your comment about blood and violence in OFP2 to here.

i'm for having more realistic models, but at the point that we see is heart coming out into pieces? no thanks, theyre a point of realism I would prefer not to touch to much, let's keep a side "arcade"

I wouldnt mind seeing more realism on the gore side of things.It would show you how bad war really is.Allso like some really desterving screams and moans when the soldiers get shot and hurt.Just to make it more desterbing and realistic.

I am a destrebed child biggrin_o.gif

Maybe have a violence setting?

and medics whit real treating commands would be nice.

"Oh no, two broke his leg" "Medic go to soldier something something" And yours (medics) command menu have an option:

put soldiers leg in a split  smile_o.gif

I think on medics side the current damage model is quite good,if u get a Sof damage model you lose a sense of fun to help your mates,loss of arms&leg losers growing new limbs with medic no thanks.

What about bloodloss?In some games u need to bandage yourself to survive,if u wouldn't patch yourself u could die just bleeding out...

some of this gore i a bit too much this isnt some kind of 18 rated gorefest where you watch peoples brains scatter over walls when you shoot them. though that would be quite cool. I actually thing the blood effects are ok already its just the vehicle damage that needs work. when i drop a hellfire on a tank i wanna see the turret blow off and fly into the air on a pillar of fire then watch the ammo cooking off

Personally I believe OPF strikes a good balance between the kind of bloodlessness of 'The A-Team' and the realism of 'Saving Private Ryan'. No matter how well OPF2 is made it will still a game, an entertainment, not a documentary or a work of art, and furthermore the player would quickly 'blank' ultra-realistic gore. After the novelty of seeing somebody without a jaw wears off, the player would give scattered pulpy flesh and bloodstains nary a second thought, and they would just slow the game down.

However I believe the wounds suffered when the player is blown up, or shot with a large-calibre shell, should be more severe; a sufficiently large explosion would simply make the player vanish in a cloud of blood. Furthermore, the weapons and equipment of a soldier who is blown up should be unusable; it seems unlikely that the rifle of a soldier ran over by a tank would still be in working order.

As for vehicle damage models, I believe that is another thread, although most obviously tanks are more vulnerable from the back and top than from the front.

Well, I'd hate to see something as OTT as SOF2, but since OFP is all about realism, I think more realistic gore than in OFP1 would be good. Shooting people and people getting hit with grenades or 100mm HEAT shells is a messy, messy business...

I'd like something like in the original Hitman, where anywhere you shoot a small bullet hole texture is applied, but to add to that, make the area around it bloody. With explosions, I would'nt want gibs (where the body blows up into chunks of meat), maybe dismemberment. This kind of stuff would be very realistic, maybe a bit over the top (not like SOF2 though), and really convey the message of war being terrible.

I want to see realistic gore nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed with that. But it means that many OFP players who enjoy the game ambiance without searching for ultimate realism will be annoyed by some points:

- the medic can not restore a unit... save it from Death at most.

- most of war wounds will induce a bleeding, that usually ends in a way the wounded wouldn't like to "live".

(I'm not one of them but I play with some)

I suggest to improve the [damage localisation/unit control] interaction but if it's too much of a CPU calculation, instead of making bleedings... think about NBC feature.

"War only feeds war"

I think the best way for BIS to figure out how to make their damage effects realistic, is to test it on real live people.

Any volunteers? biggrin_o.gif

I voted more but not for gore - I think there's a sufficient amount in the game. This may be a problem for people who like to stop and stare at dead AI in the midst of a mission. crazy_o.gif

What I want is better dammage models of buildings, vehicles and objects.

people who like to stop and stare at dead AI

Who do you play with?  wow_o.gif

Saying [damage localisation/unit control] interaction meant exactly what you're also asking for on vehicles. In fact, to allow more realistic damage management, there could be interesting improvements:

- localisation improvement: tell right extremities from left ones, and for vehicles, the natural possibility to deform/change visual aspect of the destroyed parts: tires could be ripped off for exemple (we currently only have a strange dynamic behaviour or some texture changes on choppers/humans). Yeah... I stared at dead AIs to notice that tounge_o.gif

- interaction improvement: A both leg wounded man shouldn't be able to drive a car while he still can try to move a plane (limit the Gs). And above all (that would be great for realistic extractions) the ability for a unit to carry/drag another (that would also suppress the "hide body option" since we should put the bodies in bushes or behind rocks far from patrol paths). Carrying a legs wounded man would allow it to move with its carrier quite as fast as a healthy one, but they're both to be covered since it's harder for them to hide and fire back on agressors

Yet, I didn't thought about buildings since they should first be collision improved. I assume it would be "easy" for BI to implement visual and geometry damageLODs system to add impacts and model different walls. Thus, the collisions would correspond with what be see and a destroyed building wouldn't be just a pile of stretched faces impossible to infiltrate and to use as a hiding/camping place (think about those poor sniper lost in the middle of these battlefields full of GI berserkers). wink_o.gif

Back to the man carrying man... it seems to be already feasible if you know someone good enough in animations and action creation, since a human is already a vehicle. biggrin_o.gif

"A vessel for my soul..."

i want:

more realistic gore

AND

( i don't know it's name sorry)

but on mohaa, shoot tyem in the leg and they fall over, shoot them in the head and it's lights out

shoot them in the knee and they trip

shoot them in the arm and they're not so good at aiming

shoot them in the torso a thousand times with a bar and they seem to like it!

i say like because they start dancing and howling!!!

other than that, plz, no gore

we don't need SOF3 on our hands...

and if ofp2 IS an 18 i don't think many of my friends'll be able to get it...

i would, cuz my dad loves ofp too!!!

I think this thread is about damage realism more than gore/not gore.

Beside, gore is a simple switch in most games, so, just turn it off.

PS:Killing someone without bleeding him is still killing.