Sign in to follow this  
Widow_Maker_UK

mmmm...don\'t know about this!???..BIS??

Since we know that plenty of players enjoy not just playing games but also providing their own content for them, we wanted to enable this extensibility as much as possible. Therefore, the game included exactly the same mission editor that we had used to design our missions. In addition, much of the game's functionality is data-driven instead of being hard-coded. This includes not only the mission files and world maps but also the capabilities and properties of units. The units are stored in a very powerful hierarchical configuration tree with inheritance capability, yet they are relatively easy to edit. By using these configuration files, it is possible to add completely new units and worlds to the game or add modified versions of existing ones, which is what many players are doing to create their own content, thus lengthening the product's lifespan. We wanted to use configuration files to shorten coding time as well, because we figured that the fine-tuning of most values could be done by designers or testers instead of programmers. But this didn't work as we expected, mostly because only the programmers really knew meaning of the values.

Er...when did this happen?...

Maybe BIS would like to enlighten us on exactly how we go about adding new worlds, units, and unit capabilities to this game.

From what I've been reading in this forum it's much harder than BIS make it sound.

When do BIS holidays end?

You mean one that would enable us to import and export objects?

That would be excellent.

Too bad about the safedisc thing too. If they had it their way, then maybe we wouldn't be seeing so many "Wrong cd" bugs.

I know I suffer from it. It really sucks.

I think it was a mission editor, but you could change the terrain (a world editor if you want to put it that way). I've seen a picture of it once, but haven't heard from it since.

Heya damage. You wanna help us out.

I've been asked by rob to help you guys. You got somewhere for me to start?

I just wish for better multiplayer now with drop in support and some decent GSPs hosting proper OFP servers.

I'd love to be able to make my own island, so long as the tool was comprehensive.

I'd hapily spend weeks laying down roads and towns, fences and trees.

As for weapons, I'd like to have an editor that takes one of the existing weapons, lets you modify its stats (rate of fire, magazine size, recoil, whether silenced, etc...) then let you save it with a different name for use in the mission editor.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Espectro on 12:01 am on Dec. 24, 2001

Hmmmmm.

I wont get sick of them until I know every single tree on them smile.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

DITTO

I am still discovering places I have never been before, in new missions. Excellent.

Hidden

My new unofficial island Desert Malden is now available, check the Addons Forum here.

It's not that hard to do with the existing tools...once you know how.

SelectThis

(Edited by SelectThis at 2:06 pm on Dec. 24, 2001)

SelectThis your add-on is great i am the same goose from OfpEdCenter forums did you use my idea for the resistance sniper weapon

Making addons isn't that difficult.

It's just tedious.

I found out how addons trigger FADE, recently. It's pretty simple to understand. I'm working on giving the UH60MG the gun model from the Russian Boat.

So that the UH60 can have a M60 strapped to it.

BIS just doesn't want us importing models, that's all. They dont' care if we use existing models, and make a walking tank or anything.

The problem with all the new add-ons and stuff is that it would fragment multiplayer.Imagaine having to download a huge amount of stuff everytime you went to connect to a server so thats why i think there should be better multiplayer options like drop in support option for starters and a better lobby room if the server admin wanted everyone to wait the round out.

I can guarentee that if i was to loads up GAYmspy it would be at least ten minutes before i found a half decent host then i would be lucky if everything went smoothly and actually got a good game(time outs,host going afk,lots of ppl dropping out etc) of course i could always use the "all seeing eye" but usually the vast majority of servers are empty or ping too high.

The good games of OFP multiplayer have been very fun but those are few and far between and usually i think "f**k this", and go of and play Halflife after trying to find a game of OFP and not succeeding so thats why i think it would be better to concentrate on multiplayer.

Also theres another good reason not too let too much out about the game engine and its workings look at half-life,counter-strike in particular, CHEATs CHEATs CHEATs everywhere so maybe BIS are right on not letting too much out just yet.

Windows is extremely bad at hosting servers.

It just doesn't dedicate enough resources to support other nodes(computers).

I don't know if BIS released a Linux Server program, yet. But that's what we need, at least.

The average ping that BIS suggests is like 200ms for OPF. Sad!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Renagade on 12:26 am on Dec. 25, 2001

Also theres another good reason not too let too much out about the game engine and its workings look at half-life,counter-strike in particular, CHEATs CHEATs CHEATs everywhere so maybe BIS are right on not letting too much out just yet.

<span id='postcolor'>

The longer BIS waits to release information about OPF, the more technology that will be available to cheat.

I think BIS should give us a FADE crack now. While most OPF gamers haven't learned how to make addons, or edit HEX.