gatordev

Multiple sub-configs in an Addon

Disclaimer:  this is probably a really dumb question, but it's beating me...

I've made two separate faction configs (and eventually .pbos) using Drongo's Faction Generator.  One faction is set to EAST and one is set to INDEP.  Each faction is identical except for the various class config names necessary to make them unique to their side.  Everything works great and all of the units show up correctly in the Eden entity list.  I can make, save, and load missions with no problem.

I'm trying to combine both factions into one .pbo.  Since I'm not super-savvy on this stuff, I asked over on Drongo's Discord and he pointed out I could just make two sub-config folders in the root folder and it will combine them.  Great, that makes sense, so I did that.  However now when that's loaded, I can only see INDEP units in the editor unit list, but EAST units don't show up in the list.  If I load a saved mission, everything loads fine and there's no missing units that have already been placed, so I know it's seeing the EAST config fine, it just won't display them in the list.

What am I missing?  Do I need a root config.cpp?  If so, how do I point to the sub-configs?  Since the editor is able to load EAST units, I'm not sure that's really the answer. 

On 5/29/2024 at 3:40 PM, gatordev said:

Disclaimer:  this is probably a really dumb question, but it's beating me...

No, not really, I had a similar situation when configuring Frith Factions, also using Drongo's tools., never did find a solution either so just stuck to having separate pbo's for each config and didn't look back.

Curious as to why the necessity to have them bundled into one pbo?

I usually have for my addons one main folder, and subfolders with config for each, and it's BLUFOR and OPFOR and so on. Never had an issue myself.

On 5/29/2024 at 4:40 PM, gatordev said:

What am I missing?  Do I need a root config.cpp?  If so, how do I point to the sub-configs?

Now, I don't know if that's your problem, however in some of the official pbos I saw a functional, but otherwise "empty" CfgPatches class (as in no entries in units/weapons array), and then in CfgPatches of the "branches" (such as your East/West configs) an entry addonRootClass (eg. addonRootClass = "MyFactionMod";).

But I never experimented with that stuff, so I'm not sure if that's the solution to your problem.

On 6/2/2024 at 4:56 AM, EO said:

No, not really, I had a similar situation when configuring Frith Factions, also using Drongo's tools., never did find a solution either so just stuck to having separate pbo's for each config and didn't look back.

Curious as to why the necessity to have them bundled into one pbo?

In hindsight, there is no real necessity other than my OCD and desire to make it work.  I'm certainly no coder, but I have enjoyed the challenge more recently in getting the game to do something I want it to do by learning from others.  So basically, I wanted to figure it out due to ego.  🙂

Thanks for the replies.  I'll just throw them all into one addon folder and call it a day.

• Like 1

I've just been looking at how BI do it in the main game's files and I noticed something you may or may not have already done - the main pbo root directory has a config.cpp as well. Though I can't see anything referencing the "sub configs" it does seem to be a running theme that any PBO that has configs within sub-folders also has a main config, even if its just a basic cfgPatches entry. Is this something you've tried or are you just putting the separate configs in the sub-folders and leaving it at that? I'm pondering if the "main" config acts as some sort of anchor or some such...I might also be chatting nonsense...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

I've just been looking at how BI do it in the main game's files and I noticed something you may or may not have already done - the main pbo root directory has a config.cpp as well. Though I can't see anything referencing the "sub configs" it does seem to be a running theme that any PBO that has configs within sub-folders also has a main config, even if its just a basic cfgPatches entry. Is this something you've tried or are you just putting the separate configs in the sub-folders and leaving it at that? I'm pondering if the "main" config acts as some sort of anchor or some such...I might also be chatting nonsense...

I didn't try that, but that's what I was mentioning in my first post and was wondering if that may fix it.  However, I wasn't sure how to construct the root config.  I have a feeling you're right, and that's what's needed.

23 minutes ago, gatordev said:

I didn't try that, but that's what I was mentioning in my first post and was wondering if that may fix it.  However, I wasn't sure how to construct the root config.  I have a feeling you're right, and that's what's needed.

Well, don't take the following as gospel, but at a guess in the main directory you'd have a config with the base cfgPatches, that adds each of the sub-cfgPatches entries as required addons that each of the sub-cfgPatches entries references as a requirement.

For example:

Main PBO

- config with MAIN CFGPATCHES ENTRY

-/sub-folder one

-- config with faction 1 cfgPatches entry (referencing MAIN as requirement)

-/ sub-folder two

-- config with faction 2 cfgPatches entry (referencing MAIN as requirement)

etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

each of the sub-cfgPatches entries references as a requirement

Indeed it's true, and the addonRootClass I mentioned earlier is supposedly used just to carry meta-data (although all examples I've seen the meta-data is different in the sub-config).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I somehow missed that Biki entry, and the concept makes sense, I would just need to play (read: learn) with the syntax.  I'm about to start another work hitch, so I'll have to put this on the back burner for now, but thanks gents!

• Like 1