Sign in to follow this  
Donnervogel

Reloading from a death body bug

I was tracking down the Bug that causes SEB Nam Pack 2 to freeze and I found a Bug in OFP itself. I hope this can be confirmed by other people and then fixed in Patch 1.92 smile_o.gif

Ok here we go:

The problem has to to with handguns.

We have this situation:

1 soldier that has a handgun with at least 2 magazines for it and is out of ammo on it's primary gun.

1 death body that contains at least 2 handgun magazines for the handgun of the soldier

But on the body and the soldier together have to contain at least 6 handgun magazines for the wepon of the soldier.

(Example: Body has 2 magazines, soldier must have at least 4 magazines or body has 3 magazines, soldier must have at least 3 magazines and so on)

Now the soldier runs to the death body to reload. When he bends down and picks up the weapon OFP freezes on my computer.

But all this only happens when the soldier picking up the ammo is an AI soldier, not a player soldier.

I tested it out for many hours with all SEB Nam Guns and later with some BIS guns. It always happened so it seems to be a general OFP problem.

I made a mission that has exactly that situation and will crash my OFP for sure. I hope you can try this little mission and tell me if you get a freeze.

You can download it here: handgunfreeze.Intro.zip

If that is a general problem I hope BIS can fix it.

Maybe to clear up why it happens so often with SEB Nam Pack 2 (NP2). This situation is pretty rare in OFP. It has to be a long combat so that a soldier gets out of ammo on his primary gun. Also the soldier has to carry a handgun and reload from a body of a soldier that carried the same handgun. Since NP2 uses high dispersion magazines the units get out of ammo faster. Especialy the m79 grenadier who carries a handgun doesn't need long to fire all his primary ammo. Also the officer in NP2 carries the same gun and tends to get killed very fast ;) Then the m79 often wants to rearm from the officer's body and that is exactly the "crash situation".

Don't be afraid to try the mission people. I really need to know if it's a general problem. And it shouldn't damage anything.

When it freezes do the following. Hit Alt+Tab and then Alt+Crtl+Delete and then open the Task Manager. (On my Windows 2000 OS my mouse doesn't work then so I have to use the keyboard for the following steps.) Hit the down arrow key and then the "F"-Key untill you get to a process called "FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.exe". Then hit a key that does the same thing as the right mouse button. Usually located between the the right Ctrl key and the Windows key. Then select end process (don't know the correct english term) and everything should be normal again.

Oh and BTW: Due to the handguns this is a OFP Resistance problem. I can't tell when it was introduced. I tested it with Version 1.91 on a Windows 2000 OS.

crazy_o.gif I tried, and yes it freeze exactlly as you describe

I can't believe we didn't noticed that bug earlier. I'm not sure it's the cause of NP2's freeze, it could be, whatever it's definitively a nasty bug and I hope BIS could fix it in 1.92

Edit: Tested on Windows XP, OFP:R 1.91

Only a French has the courage to test my mission? Who are the real weasels here?

And somebody get a BIS guy here smile_o.gif

I tried it and it crashed here too.

xp with 1.91

hoz

cool 100 views and 2 answers smile_o.gif

Thanks you for your help hoz and Aeon. I hope BIS shows more interest about it's game than the community.

Have you tried to confirm this with just the "Official Addons" installed,An not with any "Unofficial Addons" installed?

Yes I did and that's also why I thought people should try if it crashes on their computer too. If not it's maybe not a general Bug and then i'll do further investigation. So far it crashes on EVERY SINGLE COMPUTER that it was tried on (that's three so far wow_o.gif )

Believe me or not. It's actually time consuming to track such things down. I spend 8 hours on it already - I mean 8 hours pure OFP crashing and documenting the steps. Due to the nature of the bug it looks like general handgun handling bug to me.

I also E-Mailed BIS Support but got no response so far.

Does that example mission you made use any "unofficial Addons"?Is so could you make me one that doesnt,So I can chck it out.

I think this was one of the fixes in 1.92. I tested it now with 1.94 and I experienced no freezing.