Matej Hawlik

My OFP problem with campaign

I downloded ECP mod and my campaign is from start and sometimes the error that my memory is low how to fix that campaign error?

What campaign is that? "1985 Cold War Crisis"? I've never had such errors before.

8 hours ago, Matej Hawlik said:

Yes

Does it work properly without any mods? If not, try verifying your game files through Steam.

On 5/8/2024 at 8:19 AM, Matej Hawlik said:

sometimes the error that my memory is low

What are your computer specs?

Ram, hard drive or SSD, and video memory how much of each do you have?

11 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

What are your computer specs?

Ram, hard drive or SSD, and video memory how much of each do you have?

That doesn't matter, OFP engine is limited to some crazy small amount of virtual memory (IIRC 2GB). When playing with big mods (and ECP is one of them - especially with all the bells and whistles turned on) it's easy to hit that barrier in just one mission - the more scripts run (ECP is heavy on scripts), the more units spawn, the more memory is used. Solution is simply "don't play campaign with ECP" (or at least limit your sessions to one mission - yep, even ending the mission will not free up all the memory used by it).

Having 666th gen Intel i69 with 77 cores and 88 jiggawatts of RAM doesn't change a thing - in fact sometimes game might not even properly detect the parameters of your PC, such as wrong CPU clock rate (oh, remember game sees single core anyway) or wrong RAM (for me it shows just 1GB of RAM out of 16 installed - doesn't matter when it comes to that virtual memory limit of 2GB though, since afterall it's a virtual memory, not physical memory limit).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Think i knew that, though back when i played the campaign it wasn't with any mods and i never had an issue,

though i did play with ECP but not with the campaign or any official scenarios, just scenarios i built in the editor.

Ya makes sense though, so basically as you said dont play the campaign with mods really, most especially ECP.

Amazing how far the series has gone!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gunter Severloh said:

though i did play with ECP but not with the campaign or any official scenarios, just scenarios i built in the editor.

I never really played official stuff with ECP either, but only thanks to veteran players who told me simply "don't"! 😀 I did mess with in multiplayer along @mcslavko here, and despite attempts to cut on ECP resource-heavy features, we always hit the "out of memory" problem sooner (CTI modes) or later (regular co-ops).

I guess technically one could turn off most of ECP features (there's a fancy config file in that mod), but question then arises: why one would want to play ECP with ECP features turned off? Another solution might be using one of the unofficial patches that increase available memory of the game (like community patch 2.01 - although this one won't work with ECP out of the box due to missing config entries).

2 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Amazing how far the series has gone!

Yep! There's an interesting blog post on Bohemia page, that describes the woes of memory handling in OFP and early versions of Arma 1 (thanks @prototype1479 for the link!). I just love the mention of how Arma will play better than OFP on the same system - I can tell from personal experience that's true, and even A3 runs better on a hardware that barely supports it, than OFP.

• Like 3