Sign in to follow this  
Koolkid101

Chechen guerilla units

Horizon finished and sent us his nice Chechen Guerilla Units! You need Laser's Russian SF Pack because Chechen units are equipped with weapons included in this pack.

I did some research on the net to get the composition of Chechen units, so don't get surprised if you found in one squad 2 Snipers and 2 Machine Gunners, I did my best, as for the uniforms I have decided to modify it to be "more" identifiable, since Chechens use almost Russian uniforms; but if you have any infos or are willing to help you'll be welcome.

You have different options in the Groups menu via the mission editor:

HRZ Chechen Guerrilla

Chechen Guerrilla Squad

Chechen Guerrilla Heavy Squad

Boyevaya Troika or Combat Trio little group to fight in urban combat 1 Sniper,1RPG,1PK

Boyevaya Troika and Support same as above plus 2 AK74m soldiers supporting.

Sabotage Team (silenced weapons and satchels).

chechens.jpg

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/

One big thing is missing.... Chechens rebels with beards. Alot of them are Chechnyans but rather Arab mercenaries who believe they are fighting Jihad against the Russians. I hope that the maker of this addon makes a special Arab unit that has soldiers with big bushy beards. smile_o.gif Until then I guess I can always use the setface command if I can find the appropriate face... (the ones with the beards). Hmm... maybe I'll try that Arab face pack.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Rebel fighters often wear bright green bandanas as well (chechen flag colours), in the same style as Russian spetsnaz. Many often have knit sweaters too. Beards are also very common.

I'll have to look it up, but there's two names for the different factions - I think the first is "Boyviki", residents who are fighting more against the Russian military occupation of their home, and the other group are part of the Shamil Basayev school, fighting a holy war against infidels. It's not mujahadeen, it's a different word. I have it in a book at home.

They should have soldier wearing ushanka and more rebel like clothing like ammo belts and civilian clothing.

They should have soldier wearing ushanka

I think not... rock.gif

Maybe not ushanka but some kind of a "hairy" hat.

If you go to google and search for word "chechen rebel" you will find many pics where chechens wear hats similar to ushanka.

Maybe not ushanka but some kind of a "hairy" hat.

If you go to google and search for word "chechen rebel" you will find many pics where chechens wear hats similar to ushanka.

Those are probably the Persian style wool caps.  I have one of those.  They are very warm but the last time I wore it here in the US in public (in Texas), people were very ugly towards me cuz they thought I was some Muslim fundamentalist or something.... kinda like a Shia Islamic Imam wearing his turban and robes here in the US.  They tend to get their ass beat if they go out alone dressed like that.  Very sad.  

But anyways I'm assuming that this is the style hat you're refering to.  

persian-lamb.jpg

However the one I have is a little bit different.  It's made of wool and is white with a brown strip along the middle section of the part that folds up.  It's very nice though and they last a life time.  My hat is older then me.  smile_o.gif  I wish I could find someplace online that sold them.   There are also other similar hats used in the old Soviet Union that are slightly different such as the "Cossack" hats.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I think the units are really good. I'll be sure to have a big engagement between the Russians and these guys as soon as I get my OFP cd back from my brother.

<mumbles something about murder>

Great addons! And i actually appreciate the research done in the compositon of the different teams. That "combat trio" is the perfect Chechen urban hunter-killer team for armoured convoys. Real life equivalents of these teams were used with great succes ambushing Russian armoured convoys throughout the Chechen conflict(s).

Quote[/b] ]That "combat trio" is the perfect Chechen urban hunter-killer team for armoured convoys.

I think you slightly misunderstood term "combat trio" . Chechen use this team’s primary for sniper and 2 men for support and cover him. I can hardly imagine how sniper can ambushed armor convoy (well, maybe in Hollywood only).

The purpose of all Chechen small groups (as their Afghanis predecessors) to ambush supply convoy, lightly defended or not defended at all. Like food/water track, oil supply and so on.

I agree.... attacking an armored column is suicide as Iraqi guerillas have found out which is why they primarily concentrate on unarmored US supply columns and target mostly unarmored trucks. They quickly learned that Bradleys are RPG proof on their front and sides and that their 25mm cannon tends to put very effective suppressive fire on ambush positions. Ditto for M1 tanks.

While in Chechnya, the Russian tanks and APC's are a bit more vulnerable to RPG's, they still pack an enormous amount of fire power so I don't imagine it's good for one's health to try ambushing an armored column with just 3 men unless it's done with roadside, command-detonated explosives or with stacked land mines.

But yeah I can see a 3 man sniper team or a team just conducting a quick hit and run on unprotected supply trucks.

They might also perhaps snipe at a stationary armored vehicle crew if they're in a "unbottoned" position with their bodies stickup out of the vehicles.... but that's still very risky.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

mmkay lemme clarify. snipers/mg gunner teams in support of 2(?) men rpg teams, about 8 of those. Have armored column drive in narrow street, preferably with high buildings. RPG teams open up fire on first and last vehicle. crew and mounted infantry disperse while snipers and mg gunners do their job. Guess I've should have been more clear on that.  smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Real life equivalents of these teams were used with great succes ambushing Russian armoured convoys throughout the Chechen conflict(s).

This tactics work perfectly well in first days of 1995 assault on Groznyy. In second assault, 1999, Russian didn’t lose even single armored vehicle. I guess Russians find very effective way to avoid/fight it.

From 2001 Chechen completely switch to command-detonated explosives tactics. Witch can’t really change anything in current situation, but still, time to time they reminds Russians of their presents around countryside

for some reason... I think I'll wait for Caucausis Crisis to let their Chechen and Russian fighters out and not download this one... tounge_o.gif

dammit I've been spoiled!!!

There is an interesting story I found by a Russian author which is about combat in grozny...

heres the link

That was the hat I was talking about.

Am I wrong if I say that they should have RPG29?

Would work for russians also.

Finally someone for all the Russian Federation addons to fight. smile_o.gif They´re very basic, but they´ll do until something better comes along.

Hi all and first thanks to try my addon, and your interest, I should continue to improve my work,

but I'd like to work with a mod team, as beeing alone takes time to finalize things, and I miss

the skills to redo units' model with Oxygen Light.

To Miles Teg: I agree than having Chechen with beards could be implemented as a pbo, and used

in the mission editor for the mission makers, with the setFace command.I don't know if anyone

has succeeded in giving specific faces to soldiers without player action.

As for the "ushanka" you have displayed in the topic, I think older people use it only, Chechen

as far I know use caps, berets, baclava or nothing; vaster subject.

To TopCover: You pointed it, I got the information about Combat Trio, from a Russian analysis of

the first war in Grozny.

To Gollum1: Yes they're very basic for the moment, as I said I'd like to work with a mod team.

I don't know if anyone

has succeeded in giving specific faces to soldiers without player action.

What about the Sebnam pack?

Quote[/b] ]Real life equivalents of these teams were used with great succes ambushing Russian armoured convoys throughout the Chechen conflict(s).

This tactics work perfectly well in first days of 1995 assault on Groznyy. In second assault, 1999, Russian didn’t lose even single armored vehicle. I guess Russians find very effective way to avoid/fight it.  

From 2001 Chechen completely switch to command-detonated explosives tactics.  Witch can’t really change anything in current situation, but still, time to time they reminds Russians of their presents around countryside

Hmm... If I remember correctly during the initial assault on Grozny during the 1999 assault, the Russians lost a huge column of armored vehicles that tried to probe deep into Grozny and that only afterwards did the Russian Army surround the city and create a seige during which they successfully retook the city. But perhaps my memory is mistaken. I'll have to see if I can find some info on the early part of the 1999 campaign.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Quote[/b] ]Hmm... If I remember correctly during the initial assault on Grozny during the 1999 assault, the Russians lost a huge column of armored vehicles that tried to probe deep into Grozny and that only afterwards did the Russian Army surround the city and create a seige during which they successfully retook the city.

Yes, I remember this joke.

http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1289/MR1289.ch3.pdf

read from page 11 if you want.

In the first campaign the Russians expected to take Grozny on the march... that is why we made mistake of sending in armored troops first.

heres an interesting read...

Russias Chechen Wars

By the way anyone interesed in making a buratino!?!

wow_o.gif

Hi all and first thanks to try my addon, and your interest, I should continue to improve my work,

but I'd like to work with a mod team, as beeing alone takes time to finalize things, and I miss

the skills to redo units' model with Oxygen Light.

You seem to be very talented, just keep up the good work! smile_o.gif

Hi. There are some interesting stories of Russian troops who fought in Chechnya. Unfortunately, they are all in Russian language sad_o.gif Anyway here is the link: http://www.army.lv/4e4nja/Rasskazi/rasskazi.htm

There is also an english version of the site, there are lots of photos of Russian armor and weaponory and so on.

Quote[/b] ]Hmm... If I remember correctly during the initial assault on Grozny during the 1999 assault, the Russians lost a huge column of armored vehicles that tried to probe deep into Grozny and that only afterwards did the Russian Army surround the city and create a seige during which they successfully retook the city.

Yes, I remember this joke.

http://www.rand.org/publications/MR/MR1289/MR1289.ch3.pdf

read from page 11 if you want.

Hmm.... yeah I don't remember the media showing any pictures of the armored column that reportedly got massacred in Grozny so you may be correct that the Russian Army didn't lose any armored vehicles. However I wouldn't be surprised if one or two were destroyed. I know for certain that outside of Grozny BMP's were destroyed as I remember seeing video of some of the destroyed BMP's being taken away on flat-bed trucks.

At any rate, that site you posted is VERY good I think. It gives me many ideas for good Chechnya missions for Operation Flashpoint using the Chechnya map, the new Russian SF addon, and these Chechnyan guerilla units.

Thanks again for the info.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>