Sign in to follow this  
Bluesman

Something for ja2 and xcom fans

Shit...I didn´t find anything with a Google or Fileplanet search...DLing now biggrin_o.gif

EDIT: All the servers are full. sad_o.gif

Jagged Alliance 2.5

Sounds to me like an uber mod being sold as a new game.

Quote[/b] ]Press Release:

"Moving forward with the Jagged Alliance series is one of our major focuses for the next few years," says Don McFatridge, President and CEO of Strategy First. "Teaming up with Serge 'Wildfire' Popov was an obvious move on our part as he is truly one of the best known modders in the JA community and we couldn't be happier with our partnership."

Background Story: Arulco's economy has completely collapsed and the country has now become a base for international drug cartels. Export of precious metals, which was the foundation of Arulco's economy, is now just a cover for the extensive export of drugs into North America.

The North American Drug Agency has been unable to affect the export of drugs through regular diplomatic channels due to the cartels' influence and has been forced to take more specific action to stop the drug trade. You are sent in as a leader of a small band of hired guns, your mission: the elimination of all key personnel of the Arulcan Government and, if possible, the complete extermination of the drug cartels. If successful, you will be hailed as heroes. If you fail, the Agency will deny all knowledge of the operation.

Wildfire includes modifications to all aspects of the original game. Changes were made to all weapons, landscapes, structures, missions, enemies and the AI. All elements within the game were altered to make it more realistic, bringing it closer to real-life.

Real World, Real Weapons, Real Enemies... REAL TROUBLE!

Features:

# Improvements to all structures within the game to closer match real-life facilities.

# Added tall grass, bushes, stones, and trees to sections of the map which were barren, which allows for better coverage for units and changes combat tactics.

# All military facilities have increased their defensive capabilities. They have added mine fields, fences, watchtowers, perimeter lighting and alarms.

# All weapons have been rebalanced to better reflect real-life weapon characteristics.

# New weapons have been added:

- USP Uzi UMP MP5A3 Mini-30

- HK33 G36 MP7 MSG90 AN-94

- RPK V-94 VAL VSS

# And all existing weapons' graphics and sounds have been replaced to make them more realistic.

# The importance of sub-quests has been increased and now plays a major role in the game's overall flow.

# The Mafia has taken on a new role and is now part of the Arulcan order.

# The number of enemies has increased and they are a lot smarter and more ruthless this time around.

Right...from what I understand, all the play areas are more or less the same as in JA2. rock.gif Still, could be fun.

Well, has anyone purchased the full version of Silent Storm yet? The Finnish magazine Pelit gave it 94/100 and a "recommended" stamp. Now, Pelit is a quality magazine and the reviewer is an old JA2 fan. wink_o.gif SS should get to my town about next week, I can´t wait to get my hands on it. smile_o.gif

Looks like I will have to sacrifice some Christmas gift money for this. Well chalk it up loved ones, I want to own this game tounge_o.gif

Well I will certainly have a look into this JA2.5 (however i already thought JA2.5 was out a while ago, Unfinished Business...)

Have not gotten Silent Storm, not enough time to enjoy it, and it really is no JA2 after looking through demo carefully. smile_o.gif

I only just came across this thread even though it's been around for ages. crazy_o.gif It's nice to see other JA fans out there. I remember the first time I played the game. I was bored one weekend and thought I'd install a few random demos off a magazine CD. One of them was for the original Jagged Alliance. And the rest is history! biggrin_o.gif JA2 is for me only a little less amazing than OFP. I love it.

Anyway, for some time now I've been keeping tabs on a JA2 mod called Urban Chaos that's literally been in development for years. It's being marketed as a total conversion (sort of Jagged Alliance 2.9) because it changes pretty much everything in the game except for the graphics engine. New campaign, completely new map, lots of new characters and new weapons. The team are currently in beta 5 and tentatively predicting a Christmas release (although they did that last Christmas too biggrin_o.gif), so all being well it should be available for download soon (estimated size is around 200 megs). The mod doesn't have a website but instead just releases monthly progress updates on the main JA fansite forum called JA Galaxy. Here is a link to the November update if you're interested: here.

smile_o.gif

Damn, I could not understand Olli's finnish in silent storm without reading the subtitles. biggrin_o.gif

Damn, I could not understand Olli's finnish in silent storm without reading the subtitles. biggrin_o.gif

Oh yeah, Olli, the only Finn...I´ve heard he´s one of the best soldiers in the game. smile_o.gif

Oh yeah, Olli, the only Finn...I´ve heard he´s one of the best soldiers in the game. smile_o.gif

Give him a shitload of potato smashers and a Suomi SMG and he is unstoppable. Locked doors? BOOM

I´ve been playing this game for over a week now, and I could go on for pages about different things, but the only thing that matters is: BUY IT.

Now I must go play it even more...a classic.

I will be getting it fairly soon. (That is Christmas) since I found good o'le JA2 again I felt that H&D2 was more worth my cash at the moment. What with all the christmas gifts to be bought. And besides I havent found the game at any online retailers here in Sweden yet. But it's selling for real cheap at play.com so maybe I'll order from there.

Oh, and what about the campaign(s) any approximate lenghts?

Also, the character creator. Any yummie features?

The campaigns are really long, I´m about 10 missions into both (allies and axis) campaigns. But be warned, about every fourth mission...or actually, *map* is used in both campaigns once. It doesn´t really matter, each time you fight in a completely different part of the map and have different objectives and conditions, and the maps are high quality, but still...they´re the same. rock.gif No matter.

The character editor is pretty nice, you can choose from 20+ uniforms for each gender (okay, so a few are civilian skins or just ridiculous), but the FACE editor is the really good one. You can adjust different things with sliders, like gender, age, race (caucasian-asian-african), chins, brows, nose, hair, facial hair, facial damage (or camo), glasses/goggles and some more that I don´t quite remember. smile_o.gif And there are more SMGs, rifles, pistols, MGs, bazookas, medical supplies, pistols, melee weapons, explosives etc. than you can ever have time to use! Same thing with the characters.

Sounds like I will have a nice christmas eve then. I never really liked meatballs and "tomtegröt" anyways tounge_o.gif

Damn, the game has still not showed up at any of the online retailers. Damn it, I wonder what's keeping the release of the game here in Sweden.