Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Iraq Thread 2

You can hardly say that the official US sources are the most impartial. wink_o.gif

You can hardly say that the official US sources are the most impartial. wink_o.gif

At the same time I don't think it's fair to automatically attach sinister intent to every single press release.

Or was the ~40 enemy 'soldiers' killed claim denied also?

Yes...but not by the US forces:

Iraq disputes US casualty figures

Quote[/b] ]The American military has said 54 Iraqis died, and another 16 were wounded in what it described as the bloodiest fire-fight since the end of the war.

No-one is disputing the fact that there was a fierce fire-fight in northern city on Sunday.

It began when attackers ambushed an American armoured convoy on a mission to change old Iraqi dinars bearing Saddam Hussein's portrait with newly-designed currency.

Organised attack

An American military spokesman said the battle that followed was the best organised and co-ordinated assault on their forces that they have encountered since Baghdad fell.

But Samarra is known to be at the heart of the resistance movement, and attackers had tried to ambush similar convoys in the past, so their troops were well prepared.

The spokesman described a battle that sounded like a blood-bath, as US troops turned their weapons on anybody shooting at them.

The reports that we have are from visual battlefield reports... that's why we have said that all of these are simply estimated killed and wounded

US Brigadier General, Mark Kimmitt

The cost to the Americans: five wounded, soldiers, none in a life-threatening condition; and one wounded civilian.

But now local officials say the American accounts of dead and wounded are wildly exaggerated.

The Samarra's hospital director, Abd Tawfiq, said his staff treated 80 casualties and received just eight dead.

Even so, Brigadier General Mark Kimmitt has admitted that the US figures are only estimates.

"The reports that we have are from visual battlefield reports," he said. "These are reports that we got from the soldiers who were involved in the engagement and that is why we have said that all of these are simply estimated killed and wounded."

But a battle seen through a tank's periscope is a very narrow view indeed and it is likely that in the heat of the conflict, soldiers may well have assumed that they killed someone who was, in fact, only wounded.

The Samarra battle followed a wave of ambushes on "soft targets"

Sergeant Nicholas Mullen, a gunner in an Abrams battle tank, offered another explanation: "We don't stick around to collect the bodies," he said.

In fact, the American and Iraqi tallies of combined dead and wounded are not that far off one another.

The military counted 70 to the Samarra hospital's 88. It is a discrepancy that is not unrealistic given the type of engagement.

The Americans were using enormously powerful weapons, including 50 mm cannons mounted on Bradley Fighting Vehicles, and 120 mm tank rounds from the Abrams.

Used in a densely populated urban area, built with flimsy mud-bricks, it is almost inconceivable that people well out of sight of the gunners were not also injured in the battle.

I read today that a pretty popular french magazine has published pictures of resistance fighters firing AA missiles at a german cargo plane in Iraq which was heavily damaged in that incident. Now the case is the following. The german press is accusing the french journalists of misbehaviour. Not because they didnt try to prevent this from happening (the pilots could have been killed) but because it is clear that the presence of the foreign press had motivated the fighters to proof themselves and demonstrate their power. The journalists knew about this ambitions of the Iraqis. Wouldnt they have followed them with their cameras they probably wouldnt have fired.

Now when does a journalist get involved? We all know they shouldnt, but only the presence of cameras can change how people behave, even in war. Strange isnt it. In this case you could even say that it was a camera that shot a missile after a civillian plane.

I read today that a pretty popular french magazine has published pictures of resistance fighters firing AA missiles at a german cargo plane in Iraq which was heavily damaged in that incident. Now the case is the following. The german press is accusing the french journalists of misbehaviour. Not because they didnt try to prevent this from happening (the pilots could have been killed) but because it is clear that the presence of the foreign press had motivated the fighters to proof themselves and demonstrate their power. The journalists knew about this ambitions of the Iraqis. Wouldnt they have followed them with their cameras they probably wouldnt have fired.

Now when does a journalist get involved? We all know they shouldnt, but only the presence of cameras can change how people behave, even in war. Strange isnt it. In this case you could even say that it was a camera that shot a missile after a civillian plane.

Full story here

Part of the video was shown on BBC news last week, if i recall correctly.

So that's how you achieve peace in times of war! Tell the press to go home smile_o.gif. If no one's filming, the combatants won't get their "Hey, look at me shooting a gun on TV!" satisfaction and soon enough will get bored of it, and they will all go home and play OFP smile_o.gif.

Full story here

Part of the video was shown on BBC news last week, if i recall correctly.

Whooooa....let me get this straight...the militants filmed this, delivered it to the press, and the press gets blamed for encouraging it? riiiight..... rock.gif

I just want to say i am A Marine so dont talk shit about marines

And also another thing I am in Iraq Seving My country U.S.

You're saying you're a Marine in Iraq, who somehow has managed to get recreational WWW access and post in this forum? You're 12 years old, aren't you?

Thanks I typed it in wrong its 21 unclesam.gif

You're saying you're a Marine in Iraq, who somehow has managed to get recreational WWW access and post in this forum? You're 12 years old, aren't you?

If Mr and Mr Shit Head "Toad Shiter and EiZei" don;t shut the fuck up i'm going to have to kick some ass.

Sgt. Wulf, eh? You don´t even seem American or over elementary school age judging by your grammar skills. rock.gif

Well it's hard to type with sand in the key board bitch

Sgt. Wulf, eh? You don´t even seem American or over elementary school age judging by your grammar skills. rock.gif

Well it's hard to type with sand in the key board bitch

biggrin_o.gif

If you GAY Butt Fucker Gamers don't think I'm a marine just look at my picture beach3.gif

I am the guy with the FN MAG

(The FN MAG is very heavy but its wurth it's load "if you know what I mean"

Now I am with the 2nd MARINE EXPEDITIONARY UNIT

Any Questions?

dude, the mods are going to eat you alive.  Just thought you should know  biggrin_o.gif

*edit does FSPilot still come around? I haven't been here in a few months. He's always entertaining.

Probably the best troll we have had for ages id say. wink_o.gif

If you GAY Butt Fucker Gamers don't think I'm a marine just look at my picture beach3.gif

I the guy with the FN MAG

Well I'm a Marine as well with 1MAW,MAG24 out of Hawaii and even though I don't agree with what is said about Marines here I still protect their rights to free speech.

I'm not doubting the fact that you are a Marine, but I am ashamed at the way you are representing the Marine Corps with the way you are acting. I've been in the Marine Corps since the begining of 1998 and I've heard and read a lot of things, about the Marine Corps and individual Marines, that I disagree with, but when a United States Marine act's in the manner you are acting it just prooves those statements against us. You need to learn some tact and judgment before you act as if you were 12 years old. Remember you are still a US Marine, act like it.

Semper Fi,

Sgt Christopher Micheal Bunnell

HMH-463, MAG 24, 1MAW, MCBH

Well I'm a Marine as well with 1MAW,MAG24 out of Hawaii and even though I don't agree with what is said about Marines here I still protect their rights to free speech.

I'm not doubting the fact that you are a Marine, but I am ashamed at the way you are representing the Marine Corps with the way you are acting. I've been in the Marine corps since the begining of 1998 and I've heard and read a lot of things, about the Marine Corps and individual Marines, that I disagree with, but when a Unisted States Marine act's in the manner you are acting it just prooves thoughs statements against us. You need to learn some tact and judgment before you act as if you were 12 years old. Remember you are still a US Marine, act like it.

Semper Fi,

HMH-462, MAG 24, 1MAW, MCBH

Amen!

EDIT: besides the photo was taken in the year 2000 from RIMPAC 2000 exersizes,i find it hard to believe that you were in the army back then...

mods dont enjoy namecalling, and they also distaste of going offtopic.

So... I haven't been here long enough to get the flow of things, but in response to the thing about the journalists, I doubt the camera egged them on to do something destructive with that SAM instead of making it into a flowerpot or something.

Any Questions?

Very nice claim, perhaps you can tell us how you got the permission to post on these forums. wink_o.gif You know being 21, you are barely legal drinking age. wow_o.gif

Anyway, perhaps you have some information on that claim of ~40 dead Iraqi soldiers just a few days ago. wink_o.gif

EDIT: You know you are not the only one who has been or is in some kind of armed forces on these forums, why don't you act a little less freaked out.

If you GAY Butt Fucker Gamers don't think I'm a marine just look at my picture http://www.cpf.navy.mil/rimpac2000/images/beach3.gif

Any Questions?

Very nice claim, perhaps you can tell us how you got the permission to post on these forums.  wink_o.gif  You know being 21, you are barely legal drinking age.  wow_o.gif

Anyway, perhaps you have some information on that claim of ~40 dead Iraqi soldiers just a few days ago.  wink_o.gif

Well I can clear something up for this Devil Dog before he looses his mind. It is very possible for him to have access to the internet while being deployed. Most military bases abroad try to give access where ever there are troops so that they can keep in contact with their family. He probibly is at a rear location where this access is granted.

Yeah, it is possible, his IP must have been spoofed somehow through New Jersey though.

However, acting this way, is not something he will be able to keep up here, I am all for tolerating some of it if he really is in Iraq, but upto a point, and I'm sure the moderators will strike him down hard if he doesn't shape up.

Where is the discipline?? I mean shit... that is an attitude of invicibility and domination of others.

Yeah, it is possible, his IP must have been spoofed somehow through New Jersey though.

However, acting this way, is not something he will be able to keep up here, I am all for tolerating some of it if he really is in Iraq, but upto a point, and I'm sure the moderators will strike him down hard if he doesn't shape up.

Where is the discipline??  I mean shit... that is an attitude of invicibility and domination of others.

I agree, where is his discipline. The ground side of the Marine Corps is usually the most disciplined part of the Marine Corps.

I'm just an airwinger, but I know if I had a Marine act like that I'd jerk a knot in his a$$ quick fast and in a hurry.

Any Questions?

Yes, on the FN MAG, what four part does the gas regulator consist of and in what order do you disassemble it?

When you replace the barrel, why do you need to replace the regulator as well?

Edit: To other posters: I'm asking him, so don't answer should you be familiar with the mag 58.

I'm not doubting the fact that you are a Marine, but I am ashamed at the way you are representing the Marine Corps with the way you are acting. I've been in the Marine Corps since the begining of 1998 and I've heard and read a lot of things, about the Marine Corps and individual Marines, that I disagree with, but when a United States Marine act's in the manner you are acting it just prooves those statements against us. You need to learn some tact and judgment before you act as if you were 12 years old. Remember you are still a US Marine, act like it.

Semper Fi,

HMH-463, MAG 24, 1MAW, MCBH

Sure you are a marine from Hawwii what time did we have this exercise?

And who was your commanding Officer?