Sign in to follow this  
Warin

The Iraq Thread 2

hehehe , i could have really well shown you the law article and picture exemples smile_o.gif

http://www.cnn.com/2003....ex.html

Quote[/b] ]WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Iraq will need tens of billions of dollars in contributions from overseas in the next year to fund the reconstruction effort, the top U.S. civil administrator in Iraq, L Paul Bremer, said in an interview published Wednesday.

Bremer told The Washington Post that Iraqi revenue would not be enough to cover the bill for economic needs that he described as "almost impossible to exaggerate."

Explaining the huge cost of the project, Bremer said it would cost $2 billion just to meet current electrical demand and an estimated $16 billion over four years to deliver clean water to all Iraqis.

The figures, which must be added to the $4 billion the Pentagon spends each month on military operations in Iraq, offer the latest evidence that the price of the Iraqi occupation is growing substantially, The Post reported.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/08/27/sprj.irq.main/index.html

Quote[/b] ]BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Two U.S. soldiers were killed Wednesday within minutes of each other in separate attacks in Baghdad and Fallujah, U.S. Central Command reported.

In the first incident, an improvised explosive device detonated around 7:10 a.m. (11:10 p.m. EDT), killing a soldier with the U.S. Army's 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment and wounding three in Fallujah, about 25 miles west of the Iraqi capital, Central Command said.

About 35 minutes later, an attack on a military convoy in Baghdad killed a 205th Military Intelligence Brigade soldier, according to Central Command.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/08/27/lynch.discharge.ap/index.html

Quote[/b] ]CHARLESTON, West Virginia (AP) -- Jessica Lynch, the former prisoner of war who became a national hero when special forces rescued her from an Iraqi hospital, has been honorably discharged from the U.S. Army, her lawyer said Wednesday.

"As of the now, she is not a member of the military anymore," Stephen Goodwin of Charleston said.

The medical discharge clears the way for Lynch to pursue possible book or movie deals about her ordeal, Goodwin said. Though she has not spoken publicly about her time in Iraq, Lynch has said through a spokesman that she plans to tell her story in a book to be published

Talking about an "American nation" back then is like talking about an "Oklahoman nation" tody.

lol, why did you use oklahoma as an example?

her ordeal

*tries not to laugh*

Now come one...OK, I agree she wasn't exactly being tortured in a Gulag...but being held captive by your enemy still qualifies as an ordeal! wow_o.gif

And it qualifies as a multi-million dollar book and movie deal. Yeah, what a horrible thing to have happen. crazy_o.gifwink_o.gif

The only thing that elevates the Lynch situation beyond humor is the fact that the media, and by proxy America, has latched onto her and turned her into something she isn't. All the while, the people who did (and continue to do) the actual fighting in Iraq continue to be anonymous and expendable. A supply clerk gets into a car wreck and gets hero status, soldiers and marines did the real work and got sand fleas.

I agree with you Tex, but is it any different than the music industry?

No-talent hacks get multi-million record deals and sell hundered of thousands of records just because they are "cute" and "film clip friendly" (just look at the rubbish passing for R&B these days), while artists with talent and integrity will be lucky to ever get a major label deal.

Big business and the media have brainwashed the masses so that they prefer style to substance.

I agree with you Tex, but is it any different than the music industry?

No-talent hacks get multi-million record deals and sell hundered of thousands of records just because they are "cute" and "film clip friendly" (just look at the rubbish passing for R&B these days), while artists with talent and integrity will be lucky to ever get a major label deal.

Big business and the media have brainwashed the masses so that they prefer style to substance.

Who said life was fair? I suggest a helmet and a good sense of humor if you want to make it through. That doesn't mean you can't bitch about it once in a while, though smile_o.gif

Yeah,sorry if I wasn't clear about what I meant.

Just that she got captured because they took the wrong turn,and that she was 'rescued' from an empty hospital.

Very interesting....

I'm not saying it was a walk in the park,but I think other pow's had it a lot harder. (vietnam,indeed a long time ago,but still)

I agree on the music part,it's what this equates to.

Talking about an "American nation" back then is like talking about an "Oklahoman nation" today.

lol, why did you use oklahoma as an example?

Because I have trouble spelling "Nebraska" rock.gifwink_o.gif

From the Bronze Star Medal award ceremony:

"For exemplary courage under fire during combat operations [from Mar 23-Apr 2, 2003 (11 days)] … Private First Class Lynch's bravery and heart persevered while surviving in the ambush and captivity .… [Her] belief in [her] Battalion's motto "One Team, One Fight" is in keeping with the finest traditions of military service. Her honor, courage and dedication reflect great credit upon herself, 507th Maintenance Company, 3d Infantry Division, Victory Corps, and The United States Army."

biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif YEAH RIGHT, KEEP IT COMING ...WHAT A HERO

And as Defense Watch puts it:

Regardless of how and when the decision to award the Bronze Star to Pfc. Lynch was made, it proves to me that the Army today has a blatant, systemic disregard for maintaining the highest standards for its highest combat awards.

All for getting injured in a collision during an ambush. Wtf. What about all the 11Bs that died in seizing the airport and in the battles for the major Iraqi cities? If she gets a Bronze Star then ever soldier in the 3rd Infantry Division should get one.

This is an article worth reading (short and straight)

Gender, Lies, and Valor: Part 1 - Lynch Deserved Praise, but Not the Medal

Some extracts:

...I admit that I am biased in my assessment of POW Lynch as a mislabeled war hero. I am biased by the heroic citations of our former POWs who earned the Medal of Honor. Two examples in particular:

Air Force Maj. George E. ("Bud") Day suffered a broken arm in three places and a badly injured knee when he was shot down in North Vietnam. He was captured, and interrogated and tortured in a prison camp. He escaped and was eventually ambushed, wounded again, re-captured, and returned to his captors. His citation noted his continuous maximum resistance as "significant in saving the lives of fellow aviators who were still flying against the enemy."

Navy Capt. James B. Stockdale ejected from his crippled plane and parachuted into North Vietnam where he was beaten in the streets by an angry mob, bound and captured, and refused favors in exchange for medical treatment on his severely broken leg. Recognized as the senior ranking U.S. prisoner responsible for organizing widespread resistance to their enemy captors, he was singled out for interrogation and attendant torture. Using self-disfiguration and inflicting a near fatal wound to himself as symbols of his willingness to die rather than capitulate, his actions led to his captors easing up on the harassment and torture of all prisoners, and "earned the everlasting gratitude of his fellow prisoners and of his country."

Let's put these three citations in perspective. We have two men who were badly injured prior to their capture, brutally tortured over a period of many years, continuously resisted their captors' efforts, and through their self-sacrificing leadership examples inspired their fellow prisoners and helped save their fellow prisoners' lives. They both earned our nation's highest combat honor.

Then we have Pfc. Lynch, who was given the Bronze Star, our nation's fourth-highest combat honor, for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, suffering horrendous vehicle accident injuries that prevented her from resisting capture, receiving life-saving medical attention from her captors, and being rescued in a daring raid about two weeks after she was first captured. ...

an e-mail response he got:

...One former Marine's e-mail to me said it best and inspired me to write this article:

"So let's use Lynch as the foundation for future medals. Since she never fired her weapon, then anyone who does fire it (at the enemy) receives a Silver Star. To shoot at the enemy and be fired at and even hit back, you receive the Distinguished Service Cross …. To shoot the enemy and get hit back and actually kill the enemy, wow, you get a Purple Heart, campaign ribbon, combat action ribbon, and Medal of Honor. At the rate this is going, I am going to find out what company is authorized to sell these medals and buy stock in that company." ...

Yes, indeed it's absurd. Sure, she should get the same treatement as any former POW. She was captured and although she was apparently well treated I can imagine that it was not all a pleasent experience.

But to get a medal? And all this attention? It's equal to urinating on the graves of soldiers that have died for their country without being recognized for it.

This especially considering what happened during her capture:

1) Despite GPS recieves, her group manages to get lost and runs into an Iraqi patrol.

2) The Iraqis open fire but the Americans do not return it. Why? Because they have neglected to maintain their rifles and they have been jammed by sand.

3) Lynch gets injured when another truck form her group rams her truck.

4) The Iraqis capture her and take her to a hospital.

5) As soon as the Iraqi troops leave the hospital an Iraqi doctor contacts the US forces.

6) Deltas are called in to secure the hospital and rescue Lynch from the medical care of the Iraqi medical staff.

Then comes the reporting of her getting shot and stabbed and that she had faught off hordes of enemies. Also the civilian hospital suddenly became a heavily fortified terrorist entrenchment where the poor POWs were tortured.

Of course, nobody from the military bothered to deny it - why should they - it was good PR.

The most amazing part is that now when we at least know the truth a little bit better, they still don't quit. If I was an American soldier, I'd be gravely insulted by the fact that she was given medals.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>The Jessica Lynch Story</span>

When the Truth doesnt matter any more

She should get her Purple Heart, like any other soldier who is injured in a combat zone does. But a Bronze Star? Fah!

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>The Jessica Lynch Story</span>

When the Truthâ„¢ doesnt matter any more

She should get her Purple Heart, like any other soldier who is injured in a combat zone does.  But a Bronze Star?  Fah!

So...all the soldier that died in combat get nothing, actually dying for their country no matter what they beleive in, and their graves are pissed on by a 'poor tortured soul' who collides with a truck, is turned into a propaganda stand, and then returned in one of the most stupid uses of power and receives a bronze star for it?

Must be easy to get a medal in the states.

The only way I think she could DESERVE the medal is to REFUSE it, saying that if she accepted it, every U.S soldier that has seen combat in Iraq should get one.

(which is true, I mean come on, just give her a purple heart)

unclesam.gif

A purple heart is what would be appropriate, but this is coming from an Army that gave everyone black berets so that everyone could feel elite.

A purple heart is what would be appropriate, but this is coming from an Army that gave everyone black berets so that everyone could feel elite.

"Men," he began his address to the officers, measuring his pauses carefully. "You're American officers. The officers of no other army in the world can make that statement. Think about it."

- Catch-22, Joseph Heller

ralph.gif

Flanders: Ralph, your going to be on special teams.

Ralph: I'm special

Edit: eh.... I wasnt making fun of you Cloney, honest! smile_o.gif