Sign in to follow this  
jtec

New island

Hi all im just new to this modding world and have came across my first problem.  I have all the basic (tools visitor and buldozer working right along with 3dstudiomax 3 and paintshop pro 7) I have made a island using heightmap  post-2-1056212451.jpg and used a plane >>size 256x256 with both seg lenghts the same.  I then created a heightmap which i then loaded into 3dsm i then modified it with using the heightmap.bmp and dislacing it.  Which gave the above result.  Im happy with how it looks but im stuck there.  I have tried just making a heightmap in paintshop saving it as a tga file and when i try to import it into visitor after converting it into ase format (nice one kegety) i get this result post-2-1056217678.jpg any idea what is wrong plz?

Ive also tried the following in 3dsmax3

- Select the plane, and go to "file/export selected"

- Select the file type to "ASCII Scene Export (*.ASE)"

- Export to whatever filename you wish

But the land dont look like anything like it does in 3dsmx. Its just totally changed and has large pits.

I've just tested the tool form Kegetys to change TGA into 3dmax files in order to import em in visotr, and i've the same screen as you in the editor... (a little question, can u change TGA files into 32 bits? my progs only support 8 6 or 24...)

So you have followed the tutorial. Make sure that map size is set 256x256 in visitor. Strange. I have no problems importing ase which I have made with 3dsmax. Maybe your 3dsmax -> ase exporting settings were wierd (doubt it, I used defaults) And there shouldnt be problems with elevation values (I have made 2km mountain and with wrped I have made 8km  biggrin_o.gif ). Try importing the tutorial ase at first so you can check if the problem is in your Visitor (maybe zip file was dammaged). And when using Kegs great tga>ase tool tga has to be 32 bit.

Well if you can kill the problem I wanna know what caused it  wink_o.gif .

EDIT: Use photoshop it can save 32 bit targas.

nah i tried using the ASE that came with kegetys tutorial and it works fine. Could i send you the model in .max and see if you come across the same problem plz?

I've just tested the tool form Kegetys to change TGA into 3dmax files in order to import em in visotr, and i've the same screen as you in the editor... (a little question, can u change TGA files into 32 bits? my progs only support 8 6 or 24...)

Paint Shop Pro will save 32 bit TGAs if you first create an Alpha channel.

From Paint Shop Pro Help file

Quote[/b] ]A 24-bit file. If you save a file with an alpha channel in the 24-bit TGA format, Paint Shop Pro creates a 32-bit file containing a 24-bit colour channel and an 8-bit alpha channel.

Jasc Software, Inc.

This works as I have been experimenting with Visitor.

Other graphics programs may do the same.

Same for Gimp - you have to copy and paste your 8bit grayscale height map into a new rgb image, then add an alpha channel to get a 32 bit image (4 * 8 bit: 3* colors + 1* alpha channnel).

How do I add a alpha channel to the picture rock.gif

How do I add a alpha channel to the picture rock.gif

With Gimp you do it via layers/add alpha, I guess it's similar with Photoshop and other software.