Street fighting

Tileable Urban dwellings PCStreet type1 created by Philcommando

23rd May 2003

Zip File contain:-

A.) PCStreets1.pbo

B.) PCStreets.txt

C.) Streetest9.intro

A.)Pbo pack contains:-

PCStreets1:- Bagdad city type double storey shophouses with climable ladder.

PCStreets2:- Palestinian brick type single storey slum

PCStreets3:- Plots of land to put your other building type addons.

Streetest9.intro

A ready layout of the pack on desert island. Open it in mission editor and preview.

(10-20% lag if your system is like mine - 700mghz, 256SDram)

(no interiors, ofp engine cannot handle too many polygons)

(AI can drive and move and avoid obstacles on streets)

Pics:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/Stpic3.jpg

www.geocities.com/philcommando/Stpic1.jpg

www.geocities.com/philcommando/Stpic2.jpg

Download:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/index.html

Here's a mirror for the addon dude on Base, but like Carlos said, you should get a better site, just one which can handle more traffic:

OFPBase- PCStreet v1 (420Kb)

Anyway, good work on these dude.  smile_o.gif

Will you be updating the Pickup's?

Yeah the demo mission requires a whole bunch of addons not included and worst not even documented in the read me file.

But back to the addon itself. Overall this is a GREAT addon as it actually does look like the streets of many Iraqi cities.

When you stick them together they tanks do go down the streets properly and you get some really cool urban combat.

However on the negative side, the textures are waaaay too sterile. They need to be dirtied up a bit with cracks and stuff in the walls and dirt and stains and stuff. Same with the roads. also a few more variations in buildings would be good as well.

Finally one thing that pisses me off to no end with addons like this is that the icons on the map editor are not scale size so it takes a LONG time to sit there and match them up together. This take a lot of trial and error. If the icons represented the scale size of these city blocks, then it would make it MUCH easier to line up the streets together.

This is a similar problem to AWOL's bridge addon pack and a few other similar addon packs.

But aside from this I was able to make a very nice looking city in the flat areas of the CAT Afghanistan map that didn't slow down my computer too much. smile_o.gif

I hope this addon will continue to be improved and I am glad that inside textures were not made (to keep the framerate good).

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Could somebody post a screenshot or two? That Geocities site hasn't worked properly since yesterday.

Thanks for the responses and chris for testing it out.

Additional addons for the preview mission.

I only used one additional addon - Streetlamp and the rest came from ofp, though i am not sure about pillbox.

The reason i created the preview mission is because i had already lined up the streets and you can actually copy and paste any number of it you want to any other island. Did not have any success with creating the icon to size, seems its either too wide or too short.

Sterile?....yeah, guess i could do something about that.

Much consideration went into creating as small a polygon size and textures of this addon as possible cos when the addons multiply to create a city scale, less processing power is required and it would reduce lag. As such you will find that

- the streetlamps are static:- no power hungry lagging memory points. thats why i use the streetlamp addons instead, placed at areas where it would be needed.

-single storey no ladders - again its a memory and texture thing. The maths are- 20XPCstreet2 addon = 80memory points,20 additional faces,80kb textures,etc,etc,and adding all other objects will cause your processor to scream bloody murder. Perhaps u can place objects on the ground so that your soldier can run up to the required roof.

I will rectify the faults within the next few days and perhaps come up with a smaller preview mission with just the street addons on desert island.

Thanks for the mirrors. Anyone who wanna mirror it is welcome cos i will be closing down my site in 3 days time. Time i moved on. Just a word before i go, there are thousands of other addons that waits and begs to be created, ofp is the most truly and dynamic game i have ever encountered. Have fun.:)

Cool!  Good reply Phil.  Sounds like you are on top of things. I can't wait to see your updated version as I've been waiting a long time for an addon simulating the streets of Baghdad.  The Afghan pack and the CAT Afghan map are nice, but their buildings don't look like anyhing in a large Iraqi city.  This pack however combined with the Industrial pack and some of the other building addons I think is wonderful!!!  

Thanks for the hard work.  I think once you've updated it, it will be perfect!    

I was just playing with the addons last night, and the urban combat was terrific.  I nearly pee'd in my pants when an Iraqi soldier came running around the corner and almost ran into me.  We both turned and sprayed gunfire at each other.  My bullets hit him first thankfully.   THis was after I thought my Marines (Suchey's USMC teaser) had secured most of the city.   Very exciting!!  smile_o.gif

Thanks again for a great addon!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Please god let someone make a fairly decent sized city in wrp with these. Since they are all scaled equally to allow easy placement a simple city with these shouldn't be too big of a project I would think.

i agree with Ebud, this could make for a fantastic map, maybe you could add in the MP studio barracks as well? rock.gif

I agree... we are still missing a good Iraq map. All the current desert maps don't have cities that look anything like the larger cities in Iraq and they all have too many mountains and and not enough flat areas. Most of Iraq is fairly flat desert except for a few areas such as in Northern Iraq. It would be nice to have big open areas of desert with small towns here and there, lots of rocks and debris, some rivers and canals, and then a few major cities simulating Baghdad and Basra for example. Obviously the cities will never be as big as the real cities due to CPU limitations but even simulations of just some of the neighborhoods in Iraq would be nice along with a few factories, oil refineries, and maybe some of the desert buildings and mosques used in the CAT Afghanistan map.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Just a thought.

Initially i wanted to create an island city state filled with 3rd world ( where realistically is the place of mortal conflict, a place of the disenchanted, the oppressed, simple minded folk easily stirred up for political brinksmanship.)urban and suburban dwellings where as the world developes, such kind of warfare would get more and more and would be good practice for users to experience on OFP.

However when i calculated the kb needed, its staggering, something i doubt most computers can handle. Thats why i used the tiles concept so that each user can tile it to his mission requirement or as much as his computer can handle.

If anyone has notice, recently more and more realistic buildings urban type are popping up. I would strongly encourage more of such buildings being distributed now than to put them on storage to wait for the creation of an island mod, as we all know, mods do take time to create and sometimes mod disappears.

I do believe there will be more buildings comming up and when there is a fair amount of diversity of buildings type realistically protraying actual environments, that would be the time to group them up onto a island if that is what the community prefers.

The urban OFP development so far:-

Models:-

Industrial types:- Agent Smith

Commerce/ office types:- Agent Smith

Govt buildings:- Col Klink's awaited consulate

Barracks, shophouses, slums,etc,.

There's still room for many other 3rd world architectural forms which i hope more would embark to create

Geometry.

Most are keeping to within 80m limit for geoLOD to work.

Walls must be at least half metre for collision detection to prevent clipping.

Roadway LOD is a must .

Config.

Configuring the building with fuel so that there is smoke when it is destroyed.

yes i love this addon.. very nice.. for those of you wondering ...

"LampYellow",

"antonovopen",

"editorupdate102",

"tpillbox",

are the addons (other then the PC street) that are reqired for the test map... now what gets me is.. i copy and pasted this WITHOUT the streetlights (so my freind could play) and it still detected the streetlights.. and the antonovopen. which isnt even in the demo mission. i dont see it anywhere.. yet it stil detects it

I apologise for including those addons inside. I have prepared another demo using only strictly the street addons which will be ready in 2 hours time from this post. This demo will spare u the tedious efforts to align them up. U can copy and paste any number u want and to paste it to any other island with a relatively flat area.

PS:- I had problems with the streetlamp addon from ofpec for some reason it will open up the antonov. I had to temporary place the antonov on a temp folder whenever i wanted to use streetlamp addon even before i created my street addon.

Okay, as mentioned, its 2 hours now. the cleaned demo ( only the street addon on desert island )is here:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/streetmission.html

download, unzip into a temp folder, see the readmetxt., then copy and paste the Streetest10.intro folder into your user missions in ofp. you can delete the Streetest9 folder if u want.

if u dont have the PCstreetaddon, download it here:-

www.geocities.com/philcommando/street1.html

Hmmm, I'd like to see update of this.  smile_o.gif  I think it's generaly good idea, but still needs some work (fix Geo LOD, maybe remake textures).

I can clearly see that you could also save some aditional (not neded) faces here and there.....

If I only had some free time, I'd surely help you. Unfortunatelly, I don't have it ...  sad_o.gif  

To remind you, actual geometry LOD size limit is 64 meters, not 80m!  wink_o.gif

no problem, agent smith...er.. you have already helped in the urban warfare project. smile_o.gif Its not a mod that i am talking about but rather, its individual own time contribution towards creating a realistic environment for gaming. Thanks for your pack, always had fun with it.

Thanks for the 64m info, i guess ofp engine is not an exact science but its possible to stretch it to 80m max ( the carrier experiment is 100m long but 80m is the max an object wont fall thru), but i do agree with u to keep it to 64m, room to spare wink_o.gif

I got get this addon to work in WRP Edit any ideas?

Luke

u could binarize it, but i would recommend against it as the upgrade pack with additional tweeks will be ready in day's or 2 time.

Does anyone else have the problem of the wretched flickering on the roads using these addons? I tried the test mission and while flying over the town, the polys for the road seemed transparent and fragmented in places.

Excellent addon, Phil! I think this is something that's been sorely needed for quite some time, and I'm glad that someone has finally provided the community with this. smile_o.gif

I have one request, if you don't mind. If you could make a "mirrored" type of each street piece, I would appreciate it immensly! I think this is necessary mostly because the current "empty" piece is too small for many of the larger buildings, especially those from Smith's pack, which could look great mixed in with the streets. By creating a mirrored piece, we can make larger areas that would be suitable for large buildings and perhaps groups of buildings. Also, this would help to spread out the streets a bit more so we wouldn't run into a highway every 30 steps. wink_o.gif

Sorry If that didn't come out very clearly. My explaination skills turn off before 11pm...

Just noticed one more thing. The ground and buildings seem to levitate about an inch above the streets, making a slight open space beneathe them. This isn't very noticeable, but, it's there. The roads themselves are exactly where they should be.

u could binarize it, but i would recommend against it as the upgrade pack with additional tweeks will be ready in day's or 2 time.

Whoo Hooo! Can't wait! Keep up the great work Phil! I hope you dirtied up the textures a bit. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>