Sign in to follow this  
Andraz

Realistic rifle scopes

Operation Flashpoint desperately needs realistically modeled rifle scopes that can be set by windage and elevation.

ART I rifle scope on M21

In Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, ART I scope is inaccurately modeled.

In real life, the ART has a commercially procured 3- to 9-variable-power telescopic scopesight, modified for use with the M21 sniper rifle. This scope has a modified reticle with a ballistic earn mounted to the power adjustment ring on the ART I. ART I scopes have elevation and windage turrets with dials used for zeroing adjustments. These dials are graduated in .5 MOA increments. ART I scope has a basic cross hair design with two horizontal stadia lines that appear at target distances, 15 inches above and 15 inches below the horizontal line of the reticle. It also has two vertical stadia lines that appear at target distance, 30 inches to the left and 30 inches to the right of the vertical line of the reticle. A ballistic cam is attached to the power adjustment ring on the ART I scope. The power ring increases and decreases the magnification of the scope, while the ballistic cam raises and lowers the scope to compensate for elevation.

The ART I scope is designed to automatically adjust for the needed elevation at ranges of 300 to 900 meters. This is done by increasing or decreasing the magnification of the scope until a portion of the target’s image matches the represented measurement of the scope’s reticle.

For example, the power ring on the ART I scope can be adjusted until 30 inches of an object or a person’s image (beltline to top of head) fits exactly in between the horizontal stadia lines (top stadia line touching top of the head and bottom stadia line on the beltline).

When turning the power ring to adjust the target’s image to the reticle, the sniper is also turning the ballistic cam. This raises or lowers the scope itself to compensate for elevation. Therefore, once the scope’s magnification is properly adjusted in proportion to the target’s image, the ballistic cam has at the same time adjusted the scope for the proper elevation needed to engage the target at that range.

PSO-1 rifle scope on SVD Dragunov

In Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, PSO-1 scope is inaccurately modeled.

In real life, PSO-1 4-power optical sight with illuminated reticle permits to conduct firing under bad conditions of illumination and at infrared sources. When observing the infrared sources, the rays radiated by the source pass through the sight objective and effect the screen, located in the focal plane of the objective lens. In place of acting the infrared rays luminescence appears on the screen. It results in a visible source image in the form of a round greenish spot.

On the top of the scope is a knob with an elevation scale plotted on its cylindrical portion. The elevation scale is provided with ten divisions (from 0 to 10). The value of the scale division equals to 100 m. Beginning from division 3 it is possible to set elevation for every 50 m using the knob retainer. On the right side of the body there is a knob with the scale for windage corrections. The cylindrical portion of the knob is provided with 21 divisions (from 0 to 10 in both directions). The value of the scale division equals to 10cm at 100m. Windage corrections may be set every 5cm at 100m by means of the knob retainer.

The elevation scale represents a number of angle marks up to the range of 1300 m. When setting the elevation knob scale at division 10, the peak of the second from the top angle mark will correspond to the range of 1100 m, the peak of the third angle mark to 1200 m, the peak of the forth angle mark to 1300 m.

Plotted to the left and to the right from the angle marks is the scale of windage corrections. The value of each division is 10cm at 100m. The values of windage corrections of 50cm at 100m and of 1m at 100m are marked out by an elongated dash line. The value of windage correction of 1m at 100m is marked out by an elongated dash line and designated by a digit 10. Two horizontal dash lines are plotted from the right and from the left of the windage correction scale. The range-finding scale located from the left under the windage correction scale serves for detecting the range up to the target. The range-finding scale represents two lines. The upper (curve) line is calculated for a target 1.7 m in height and is marked with digits 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 (200m, 400m, 600m, 800m and 1000m).

Bit of a scope nut are we smile.gif

that meant nowt to me...... and if scopes in OFP2 are as complicated, I'll leave em well alone.

Considering that bullet ballistics is modeled in Operation Flashpoint, the adjustable scopes are a must. It's really odd that with fixed power duplex-style reticle scopes we must use an elevation holdoff technique in order to achieve desired point of impact.

For example, Sunstorm Interactive's hunting simulations Deer Hunter 3, 4 and 5 feature adjustable scopes. In my opinion, if Operation Flashpoint 2 is meant to be a "military simulator" with "accurately modeled weapons from period military data", as stated on http://www.flashpoint2.com, this feature should be present.

I agree, more realistic scopes. It would greatly improve the whole sniping experience...

Perhaps they could make it so that when playing in cadet mode it would go back to the old system.

I entirelly agree with Andraz, BIS should make sniper weapons has realistic and acurate to real models has his M24 (outstanding work m8), and not only sniper but all other rifles and weapons, distance, acuracy, fire rate, sound... smile.gif .

And don't make the point of impact change when the shooter is on a slope. Really annoying, especially since the sights appear level.

Hey Dan! Long time no see - remember me - m0~ - from Stoner's? Nice to see you around again smile.gif

Seems alot of vets have come back after the OFP2 announcements and that's a great thing to see... thought we had lost most of them forever smile.gif

Now, back on topic... - I agree with Andrez.

ps: fine, more of a post to say hi I guess smile.gif

That's a good idea, but it should be optional, for example in easyer settings the scope should adjust automatically to the distans of the target...

That would help for the people who buys the game, plays the campain, and just buys a new game when they are finished, in other words use it as a normal FPS... wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DanAK47 @ 18 May 2003,05:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And don't make the point of impact change when the shooter is on a slope. Really annoying, especially since the sights appear level.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree... It's often easier to hit your target down on your knee than in prone position. The aim is a bit more unsteady but at least you hit where you planned to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Heatseeker @ 17 May 2003,23:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I entirelly agree with Andraz, BIS should make sniper weapons has realistic and acurate to real models has his M24 (outstanding work m8), and not only sniper but all other rifles and weapons, distance, acuracy, fire rate, sound... smile.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks. I'm glad you like the rifle.

A decent leaf sight for a grenade launcher would be nice. Maybe make the zoom in/ out keys twist the gun up and down so that the front sight aligns properly with what range you want. Same with iron sights. The AK and the M16 sights are easy to adjust. The AK as far as I know has no windage adjust but easy to use elevation. The M16A2 needs a tool for the front sight, but you dont really need to change it as its all in the rear sights now unlike the A1. The dial on the right side is for widage and the one undernieth is for elevation. Maybe even make a nice animation for turning the dials smile_o.gif .

PSO-1 rifle scope on SVD Dragunov

In Operation Flashpoint: Resistance, PSO-1 scope is inaccurately modeled.

In real life, PSO-1 4-power optical sight with illuminated reticle permits to conduct firing under bad conditions of illumination and at infrared sources. When observing the infrared sources, the rays radiated by the source pass through the sight objective and effect the screen, located in the focal plane of the objective lens. In place of acting the infrared rays luminescence appears on the screen. It results in a visible source image in the form of a round greenish spot.

On the top of the scope is a knob with an elevation scale plotted on its cylindrical portion. The elevation scale is provided with ten divisions (from 0 to 10). The value of the scale division equals to 100 m. Beginning from division 3 it is possible to set elevation for every 50 m using the knob retainer. On the right side of the body there is a knob with the scale for windage corrections. The cylindrical portion of the knob is provided with 21 divisions (from 0 to 10 in both directions). The value of the scale division equals to 10cm at 100m. Windage corrections may be set every 5cm at 100m by means of the knob retainer.

The elevation scale represents a number of angle marks up to the range of 1300 m. When setting the elevation knob scale at division 10, the peak of the second from the top angle mark will correspond to the range of 1100 m, the peak of the third angle mark to 1200 m, the peak of the forth angle mark to 1300 m.

Plotted to the left and to the right from the angle marks is the scale of windage corrections. The value of each division is 10cm at 100m. The values of windage corrections of 50cm at 100m and of 1m at 100m are marked out by an elongated dash line. The value of windage correction of 1m at 100m is marked out by an elongated dash line and designated by a digit 10. Two horizontal dash lines are plotted from the right and from the left of the windage correction scale. The range-finding scale located from the left under the windage correction scale serves for detecting the range up to the target. The range-finding scale represents two lines. The upper (curve) line is calculated for a target 1.7 m in height and is marked with digits 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 (200m, 400m, 600m, 800m and 1000m).

Also the PSO 1 4 in Flashpoint has the same zoom level as the M21 in highest zoom. Its only a 4 power not a 9.

wow_o.gif Wow, that would be something if they added these suggestions. I won't hold my breath though...

wow_o.gifI won't hold my breath though...

Good thing you didnt, you would be dead by now :D

What a witty comeback. It would have been even wittier if you had came up with it 6 years ago...

Thank god for ACE2 - this will be present there.

Hopefully BIS will get it in OpA as well.

Good thing you didnt, you would be dead by now :D

And for that you dig out a 6 year old thread???