Sign in to follow this  
Blake

Divideable teams/squads

With current OFP system you can assign teams like Red, Yellow etc but it's rather useless as you cant assign leaders to these subgroups when you divide them. I think it would be good idea to split something like 12-man large squad into 4 fire teams each with commander. Then when needed, the team could be put under squad leaders command again.

Yes, and instead of colors:

Recon

Fire

Cover

Reserve/supply

yes this is something I always thought about. could make the game even more intresting and controlling the group lot easier.

Would be useful for MP too. Especially cooperative missions. You could divide you're squad into fire teams, and one player could take a couple of AI and assault from the front, whilst the other could take the rest of the squad and attack from a flank. A great idea if well implimented.

Good idea and very very usable, let´s hope this get´s bis´s attention.

After some thinking it should be something like this.

Step 1

Selecting the group action like in good old days.

step1.jpg

Step 2

Let´s select the assign option to make a group.

step2.jpg

Step 3

Choose the soldiers to group. Also it might be useful to give letters to soldiers in this point if theres going to be bigger groups in ofp 2. Like C: Jim Self and H: Chris Marie. It should disable all the movement controls and reserve letters for selecting the soldiers.

step3.jpg

Step 4

Select the leader from the soldier list which are assigned to that certain group. Now the platoon leader should not see or be able to give orders to other soldiers assigned to this group, only for the group leader.

step4.jpg

Step 5

Assign color for the group

step5.jpg

Step 6

Assign name for the group. There should be somekind of a typing tool at this point.

step6.jpg

Voila the group is ready and good to go. Now the platoon leader doesn´t see Chris Marie who is assigned to Jim Self´s group. Also it might be useful to reserve number 0 for approving the actions. If you want to unassign group just select unassign in step 2 and you get list of all groups under your command, select the desired group and all soldiers come back to your command.

I don't like having to stop to issue orders. I like the way it is now, so that we dont have to stop. I like the basic idea, but I'd want to be able to use generic names and just numbers so I can e.g. defend myself if an enemy suddenly appears. Or do the orders while sneaking round behind something.

Yes but the numbers are very limited in the keyboard. And if you are commanding bigger group you should have time to do the trick, it takes just couple of seconds. But if you are rushing in the front with your g36 blazing well there´s no use to the group system anyways.

Good method, and easy.

When you have human players, with MP mission.

With your method I want AI assign Fire, or supply it's for specialization of AI, a fire AI is not like a recon/scout AI for SP mission.

A recon team it's for recon, it report new target, not instantly fire at, but fire team fire and don't report (or report during fire), support fire, fire when support fire team has a lot of lost.

When you assign, you give to AI a particular AI during fighting.

We will have "duringgamejoin" with OFP2 and we need some rules with our "religious" coop game (I say that becoz OFP is the must of coop game)

Imagine during a very hard mission, you leave cause connect shut down, come back and you can see the AI not desrtoy the plan of the team.

Sweet AI good relace of myself, let me take your body, and fight again!

That's a great idea and coupled with a even better AI just what I often missed.

For example, the mission in OFP Resistance where you have to destroy all helicopters at an airport I wished to split up my team in two or three, tell their leaders to move to different locations of the airport, hide themselves, watch and wait for my signal to attack. The signal I have to tell him - it could be a radio call if all leaders have an radio, or a flare or if the distance isn't to great, a handsign or something ...

And when everyone is in place I would assign them targets or - better - a target area and then all hell would break loose when I give the command: "Go! Go! Go!" :-)

It would even be a nice idea to set priorities for the AI: Destroy the helicopters in your area, no matter what happens!

The AI-Commander would now assign single targets to his men like they do it already in OFP ...

The biggest problem is IMHO to code the AI and to make the handling as intuitive as possible while you have to be able to give all important commands.

The AI must be very good because they have to find themselves a way from A to B without being discovered (if I tell them so), they have to hide while they have to keep an eye on the target ... and so on.

Bye,

-Vic-