Sign in to follow this  
Impavido

Carry the wounded!

We need the ability to carry a wounded comrade on your back and shoulders. Granted you'd be slower and aiming a gun is harder but you can't resist that chance to be the HERO! biggrin.gif

I know some mod-makers and scripters have been working on this for OFP, but I think it should be included in the full version of OFP-2. This feature would add some realism, boost the rewards of teamwork, reduce the need to grenade yourself to death, and just generally KICK A$$!! smile.gif

Well, I guess so... never played it cuz I'm too damn busy playing OFP: Resistance.

And then they could add an option for making the medics more real, so that they cant heal as they do now in OFP, but they can stop you from dying, and that you die after a while if you lye for too long with a wound, so if you are going to survive a medic have to come to you and "stop the bleeding" and stuff like that, but you will probibly not be able to walk back, so one of your friends will have to carry you if you are going to survive for the next mission, that would be a great feature to add to a COOP campain... smile.gif

But only as a option, there should be a "easy" way to play with the medics, just as they are in OFP right now... it's all up to the misson makers or the server admin (or your self if you are playing SP) wink.gif

Yeah if this was the real US Army then they should go by the motto of "no one will be left behind"

Right boys! Thats what I want to see in OFP2! Carrying a wounded comrade to a medivac! Leave no man behind!

Also a new system for medics! That would be great!

Yea new system for medics would be cool!

Like specific damage and priorities:

A medic selects what part of a wounded person to work on first, like legs so they can keep up or arms so they can use weapons. Hell, there should be some sort of system or mini-game-type setup that requires skills and experience so people actually WANT to be a medic.

You know all those times in the team selection screen when the last person to connect gets the medic and gripes about it confused.gif

Yes healing in the middle of a fire fight is not my idea of realistic as the medic do now.

Oh that would be cool, carry them to the medic, chopper, boat, or vechicle smile.gif

Things like that would really provide big incentive for organized teamwork. In a big fight you could even establish a triage (sp?) or field hostpital guarded by your medic.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Impavido: "I'm messed up doc....uhhh....what can you do?"

Doc: "We'll if this was Cold War crisis, I'd be able to patch you up in no time. But since BIS decied to make OFP 2 based on the American Civil War...I have no choice but to amputate your leg."

Impavido: "DO'H!" crazy.gif

I think it could be a good option. And if OFP2 is going to be in Vietnam, it has to have Medvacs. Think of it: carrying your comrade who is missing a good part of one of his legs to a hot LZ while a Huey comes down with tracers trying to get it.

I suggested this option over a year ago plus the idea of assigning 2 soldier to carry a wounded soldier on a stretcher. They would not be able to run as fast when stretcher carrying, slowing down the squad.

Sounds cool, but that depends on 2 people to take care of 1 wounded character. Sounds like too much of a hassle, and 2 people controlling a single stretcher online? Woo, talk about risky. Sounds more like a drunken backyard game. A Stretcher ride that dangerous can cause more injuries than it can help fix wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Impavido @ 08 May 2003,09:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds cool, but that depends on 2 people to take care of 1 wounded character. Sounds like too much of a hassle, and 2 people controlling a single stretcher online? Woo, talk about risky. Sounds more like a drunken backyard game. A Stretcher ride that dangerous can cause more injuries than it can help fix   wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It would have to work that the leading stretcher bearer sets the pace and direction. If he drops the stretcher, the 2nd carrier would put it down as well and assume independence.

Obviously it's not perfect but it can be done both for AIs and for real players in MP.

If you can carrie your lazy friends i think you should be able to knock down your enemy and carrie him to say a brige and then threaten him or something.

I've just recently started playing first person shooters and without a doubt OFP is the BEST at simulating combat. However, the MEDIC nd WOUND engine could stand a dramatic improvement. some of the previous suggestions mirror my own. Items that are key to this are:

1. Weapons fired in combat just aren't that accurate. Less hits and less accuracy.

2. WOUNDS are about 5 times more likely to happen than deaths.

3. Wounds vary in severity. Some wounds may not do much any harm at all while others may incapicitate you. What I'd like to see is much more debilitating wounds and less "hit and die" effects.

4. As mentioned, medics should have the ability to dramatically improve your chances of survival. Even if you are left with nothing but the ability to crawl on one arm and leg, a medic should not "heal" you.

5. Many more wound types. i.e. lose vision, lose hearing, lose limbs.

6. As mentioned buddies have to have the ability to carry or drag you. Weather or not the will is combat dependant. If shot, will your buddies risk getting hit to drag you to safety?

7. Uncontrolled screams and groaning. It happens. It might be nice to know that the recon by fire you laid down actually hit someone. Guys hiding might tend to be a bit quite, but when hit, they might just scream their bloody guts out. (litterally) ;)

8. Blood trails.

No doubt there will be lots of good ideas for AI improvements and even better handling of picking up items, but overall the whole combat/wound/medic engine rework would make OFP2 stand out above the rest....again.

Quote[/b] ]

I've just recently started playing first person shooters and without a doubt OFP is the BEST at simulating combat. However, the MEDIC nd WOUND engine could stand a dramatic improvement. some of the previous suggestions mirror my own. Items that are key to this are:

1. Weapons fired in combat just aren't that accurate. Less hits and less accuracy.

2. WOUNDS are about 5 times more likely to happen than deaths.

3. Wounds vary in severity. Some wounds may not do much any harm at all while others may incapicitate you. What I'd like to see is much more debilitating wounds and less "hit and die" effects.

4. As mentioned, medics should have the ability to dramatically improve your chances of survival. Even if you are left with nothing but the ability to crawl on one arm and leg, a medic should not "heal" you.

5. Many more wound types. i.e. lose vision, lose hearing, lose limbs.

6. As mentioned buddies have to have the ability to carry or drag you. Weather or not the will is combat dependant. If shot, will your buddies risk getting hit to drag you to safety?

7. Uncontrolled screams and groaning. It happens. It might be nice to know that the recon by fire you laid down actually hit someone. Guys hiding might tend to be a bit quite, but when hit, they might just scream their bloody guts out. (litterally) ;)

8. Blood trails.

No doubt there will be lots of good ideas for AI improvements and even better handling of picking up items, but overall the whole combat/wound/medic engine rework would make OFP2 stand out above the rest....again.

I was trying to tell about health concerns in the topic "Get killed in many nasty ways" but which obviously no one has read (please do smile_o.gif  Medics in OFP1 are magicians, not medics and the damaging system could be improved much better. Wounded soldiers should have been carried off the battlefield it's normal, but it is easier for the programmer just to kill the fella in order to avoid some more job on the carrying peole and affecting the whole gameplay.

It would be very good to be like Forrest Gump in Nam  biggrin_o.gif

I dont think the 'carrying' is a good idea, dragging is though, putting someone up onto your back and having to stand straight up would create a much bigger outline compared to dragging, there is also the point that not all soldiers are muscle men, i cant see a twig-armed just-out-of-basic soldier being able to throw a man nearly twice his weight over his shoulders and run him out of combat while bullets impact all around him, i think we can save that for hollywood films...

I think it would be a cool idea... wouldn't hurt to have the ability to do this!

Might as well...with the "mini-game" idea someone said in a player being a medic to help out....might as well place some devil-docs in there too... or a mash unit...can do the patching up yourself wink_o.gif

it would give a whooole new meaning to multiplayer...and clan specializations

now that would be a game at a level no one has gone before...ofcourse you could always say screw it and grab your gun...run out of the tent to find the enemy.... j/k

i think it might be a pretty cool idea for pulling/carrying your wounded

I dont think the 'carrying' is a good idea, dragging is though, putting someone up onto your back and having to stand straight up would create a much bigger outline compared to dragging, there is also the point that not all soldiers are muscle men, i cant see a twig-armed just-out-of-basic soldier being able to throw a man nearly twice his weight over his shoulders and run him out of combat while bullets impact all around him, i think we can save that for hollywood films...

True. But wounded must get carried off the field somehow (usually after the area is safe enough?). To be done by two men is more likely to happen, but it takes a lot more things to programm that in a game.

Maybe we should take a look at some realistic movie like Platoon or video clips from documentaries, read stories from the real soldiers...

I'm not sure how things work in your countries military but over here we have both a basic fitness test and a combat fitness test, which all soldiers must complete every year. Part of it is running with someone on your shoulders.

The rest checks that the soldier is fit enough to serve. We don't ride around in hummvees everywhere so we have to be fit.

I'm not sure how things work in your countries military but over here we have both a basic fitness test and a combat fitness test, which all soldiers must complete every year.  Part of it is running with someone on your shoulders.

The rest checks that the soldier is fit enough to serve.  We don't ride around in hummvees everywhere so we have to be fit.

But in Nam we'll be probably playing the conscripts, some spoiled rookies, who were kicked out of the cradle. Still, if a guy had to be carried away anyone would do it with adrenaline which floods the body during stressful situations like combat. People are capable to do incredible things when they're pumped with adrenaline.

i agree wiv ..ummm.. oh yeh, time wiv da adrenaline thing

i actually agree wiv all da things ppl hav sed

sept u shud be able to LIFT and DRAG

dragging wud be slower yet less vulnerable but lifting means faster and climb over things too

also the ablility to roll.. iv seen it dun on one game

where maybe like a peek and strafe wud mean u roll that way..

maybe

i also like the 'not heal but stop the bleeding'

healing only happens in american war hero films

hey, being as this is nam will u be able to walk while in a huey?

rather than ' get in' u 'get on' rock.gif

then u can shoot off it

and there;s a barrier to stop u falling off and u hav to 'action move' fall out

sumfing along those words

i got the idea of BF1942 wiv being able to walk on the deck of the carrier

excellent idea! Nothing worse than having to crawl off the objective with a BMP trailing your a$$.

Yes! I want to be the hero!

------------------------------

Sergeant:"Move it lets go!"

Tamme: "What about Fluffy Bunny?!"

Sergeant: "Forget it he's done for, now get your ass in that huey!"

Tamme: "No we can't leave him there!"

*Tamme runs to Fluffy Bunny defying fierce enemy fire and heroically rescues him.*

Later in the White House

The President: "Well Tamme that was quite a thing to do. Hereby I present you the Medal of Honor and a million dollar check."

*APPLAUSE*

Tamme: Why do they call it a check? Why don't they call it Yugoslavia?"

*Everybody laughes at Tammes funny joke*