Sign in to follow this  
der bastler

Ofp linux version

Release of OFP2 is close...hm, ok, next year(s) wink.gif

But, while we discuss about the when and where of the story and possible features of the engine, I've another question towards BIS:

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Do you plan to create a Linux (client) version of OFP2?</span>

I'm asking now because the programm is in an early stage of development, therefore such things could be planned without much trouble. If you think it's not possible/worth or too difficult, how can we --the community-- help?

(Hey, people are creating addons for free today, programming ports of the code is the next step... wink.gif)

i doubt it it relys on direct X so in order to get it in linux they would have to make open gl support, tho a linux client would be great but some one reported latest winex cvs or its 3.0 verson runs ofp very well pretty much native speed no sound tho. I cant test this as i updated by distro to a new one and havnt been able to get winex going.

if they realease the source code of ither of the ofps im sure uld see a linux port, duke nukem 3d was ported in about 4 days by one guy, freespace 2 was ported, but it seems linux gamers have to stick with ut2003 and id games for the time being, Doom3 will be linux not that i have the ahrdware tounge.gif

Well, no answer at all from BIS...

crazy.gif

No Linux-Version? Well, sorry guys...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (der bastler @ 26 April 2003,12:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well, no answer at all from BIS...

crazy.gif

No Linux-Version? Well, sorry guys...<span id='postcolor'>

I would have liked an answer, too.

And the best choice for Linux would be SDL, which is available for Windoze, too.

Hey, NVIDIA released recently most uptodate drivers, which support nearly all functions of their video cards. So, why shouldn't be the best game ever ported to Linux? smile.gif

I will probably discard my Windows altogether by late 2004.

And if Flashpoint 2 would not work on Linux, I'm not gonna buy it.

Wine could help, but the performance is doubtful, and certainly it will never work 100% with Wine.

Sorry guys ...

Regardless of what linux fans may think, windows isn't likely to be replaced as the desktop OS of choice for most users any time soon - and thus it's a simple question of economics. Why bother making a port for such a tiny minority?

Especially when that minority could just dual boot.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (//relic// @ 01 May 2003,15:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why bother making a port for such a tiny minority?<span id='postcolor'>

More paying customers and "marketing value"?

Of course maintaining versions for two different platforms is some extra work, but with good project management it shouldnt be that hard as majority of the code can be used directly on both windows and linux. Problem with ofp could be, that as OFP2 will propably be based on the current OFP engine which is originally coded for windows only I guess...

That's why I wrote

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

I'm asking now because the programm is in an early stage of development, therefore such things could be planned without much trouble. If you think it's not possible/worth or too difficult, how can we --the community-- help?

<span id='postcolor'>

givin' a broad hint... wink.gif

I'm not an expert of OFP1's architecture. But of one thing I'm sure: at least a part of OFP engine (AI+world engine+netcode, no rendering) has actually been ported to linux to make the dedicated server.

I don't know if an OFP2 linux dedicated server will come to life soon, but surely I won't sleep well having my server on the net all the time running on a buggy OS mad_o.gif (I've heard of ppl running OFP1 ded server even on BSD for ultra-security!!!)

So why don't make a little effort to build/use a compatibility layer for the graphics engine to work on both OSes ?

Regardless of what linux fans may think, windows isn't likely to be replaced as the desktop OS of choice for most users any time soon - and thus it's a simple question of economics.  Why bother making a port for such a tiny minority?

Maybe because if more games and hardware would support Linux, more people would use it. Hell, my Win2k would be flying at light speed outta the window.

Regardless of what linux fans may think, windows isn't likely to be replaced as the desktop OS of choice for most users any time soon - and thus it's a simple question of economics. Why bother making a port for such a tiny minority?

Maybe because if more games and hardware would support Linux, more people would use it. Hell, my Win2k would be flying at light speed outta the window

I'd see my Winblows SexP do the same :P

ya games with native linux ports do really run much nicer, it uses far less ram, xp uses 54% of my ram with nothing running, linux even running the heavy KDE window manageris on about 30-40%.

xp uses 54% of my ram with nothing running

windows takes just as much RAM as you give. doubling from 256 to 512 had no effect in performance. neither did splitting 256 to 128