Sign in to follow this  
JJonth Cheeky Monkey

Larger ai engagement range pack

If you are still thinking about wether or not to give RES G3's do so. But not replacing the AK47 since i guess most guerilla movements use mixed weapons. And the G3 is pretty easy to come by.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maraudeur @ 16 May 2003,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif7--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ 16 May 2003,00wow.gif7)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah the AK47 is quite bad, but not as bad as the G3 or the M14. The AK74 is probably the most controllable in full auto apart from the MP5s. The M14 the worst for recoil yet I find it very pleasing to use, fills the gap between a sniper rifle and an assault rifle smile.gif . Although I quite like the AK74SU because of the 40 rnd mag, just look at the length of it in the screenshot. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Any drum mag available for the RPKs ?<span id='postcolor'>

No just the 40 rnd bannana mag. They only take up one space in your inventory still so you can still carry 400 rounds on you, not as much as the PK or M60 were you can carry 500, but you can still carry an Anti Tank weapon.

I like how this is developing, the best things always take longer!

Also i commend you on great work on the AK's they look incredible smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ 16 May 2003,15:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maraudeur @ 16 May 2003,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ 16 May 2003,00wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah the AK47 is quite bad, but not as bad as the G3 or the M14. The AK74 is probably the most controllable in full auto apart from the MP5s. The M14 the worst for recoil yet I find it very pleasing to use, fills the gap between a sniper rifle and an assault rifle <!--emo&smile.gif . Although I quite like the AK74SU because of the 40 rnd mag, just look at the length of it in the screenshot. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No just the 40 rnd bannana mag. They only take up one space in your inventory still so you can still carry 400 rounds on you, not as much as the PK or M60 were you can carry 500, but you can still carry an Anti Tank weapon.<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you for the reply SpeedyDonkey.

I know it would need some more work to do a drum mag but :

As this will be part called " longer engagement ", big mag is ok in short bursts for suppresive fire or continuous aimed fire in support rôle as actual AI machinegunners already do against snipers for example.

And a -light, ok-machinegun is still wanted to be a machinegun with the appropriate volume of fire wink.gifsmile.gif or it would bring nothing more than an AK or PK could do, see my point ?

Even if the config gaves a little less recoil and de-pointing effect to simulate heaviest weapon and longer cannon than AK, the gain would be so little, it wouldn't be interesting to put those sort of machinegunners in a squad.

A machinnegunner with so little ammo at each magazine is a dramatic lose of tactical abilitys, this becomes more evident if the AI will be able to engage and engaged itself at longer ranges.

The possibility to give them a rocket launcher is ppointless as this would reduce dramatically the number of rounds available for a machinnegunner ( 40 rounds versus 30 is not a huge difference ) and more important, machinegunners works already well at long ranges while antitank soldiers needs to come sooooo close....

Giving those two different weapons and tasks at once is, eh... very surprising.

BTW, depending on how you achieve that result for the longer AI range engagement, is it possible to reproduce this for the AI to use at longer ranges and more often grenades and rifle grenades, rocket launchers ?

Is it in your plan to make most of the weapons that really can to use rifle grenades ( and to make grenades, and rifles grenades to use just one plot ? wink.gifsmile.gif ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maraudeur @ 16 May 2003,19:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thank you for the reply SpeedyDonkey.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm...Freudian slip me thinks... confused.gifbiggrin.giftounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shashman @ 16 May 2003,21:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maraudeur @ 16 May 2003,19:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thank you for the reply SpeedyDonkey.<span id='postcolor'>

Hmmm...Freudian slip me thinks... confused.gif  biggrin.gif  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

eh ?

Don't understand confused.gif

English is not my native language, what did I do wrong or what do I miss ?

Sigmund Freud is a disgraced physcologist from ~100 years ago. A Freudian slip is an idea he came up with. It means to say something you actually believe or think but you don't want or intend to say. Basically, you acidentally let out some supressed truth or something.

Will the RPK have more than one mag choice? See the HK pack HK21.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maraudeur @ 16 May 2003,19:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ 16 May 2003,15:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Maraudeur @ 16 May 2003,14:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ 16 May 2003,00wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah the AK47 is quite bad, but not as bad as the G3 or the M14. The AK74 is probably the most controllable in full auto apart from the MP5s. The M14 the worst for recoil yet I find it very pleasing to use, fills the gap between a sniper rifle and an assault rifle <!--emo&smile.gif . Although I quite like the AK74SU because of the 40 rnd mag, just look at the length of it in the screenshot. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No just the 40 rnd bannana mag. They only take up one space in your inventory still so you can still carry 400 rounds on you, not as much as the PK or M60 were you can carry 500, but you can still carry an Anti Tank weapon.<span id='postcolor'>

Thank you for the reply SpeedyDonkey.

I know it would need some more work to do a drum mag but :

As this will be part called " longer engagement ", big mag is ok in short bursts for suppresive fire or continuous aimed fire in support rôle as actual AI machinegunners already do against snipers for example.

And a -light, ok-machinegun is still wanted to be a machinegun with the appropriate volume of fire wink.gifsmile.gif or it would bring nothing more than an AK or PK could do, see my point ?

Even if the config gaves a little less recoil and de-pointing effect to simulate heaviest weapon and longer cannon than AK, the gain would be so little, it wouldn't be interesting to put those sort of machinegunners in a squad.

A machinnegunner with so little ammo at each magazine is a dramatic lose of tactical abilitys, this becomes more evident if the AI will be able to engage and engaged itself at longer ranges.

The possibility to give them a rocket launcher is ppointless as this would reduce dramatically the number of rounds available for a machinnegunner ( 40 rounds versus 30 is not a huge difference ) and more important, machinegunners works already well at long ranges while antitank soldiers needs to come sooooo close....

Giving those two different weapons and tasks at once is, eh... very surprising.

BTW, depending on how you achieve that result for the longer AI range engagement, is it possible to reproduce this for the AI to use at longer ranges and more often grenades and rifle grenades, rocket launchers ?

Is it in your plan to make most of the weapons that really can to use rifle grenades ( and to make grenades, and rifles grenades to use just one plot ? wink.gifsmile.gif ?<span id='postcolor'>

Think the RPK as a more presise AK47 not a replacement PK. If you want suppressive fire then just use the PK, the RPK wasn't really designed to replace GPMGs, but to give the squad some longer range firepower. Anyway Ive redone all the coaxial MGs which all have new sounds. M1A1 has the M240 which is a beast, M60 has the M73, T72 and the T80 have the PKT. Also the new M2HB is great fun biggrin.gif . Ive done everything now, Choppers, Planes, Tanks, men just a few little tweaks and it should be ready for release. I think Ive missed a few vehicles out though. confused.gif cant think which ones right now.

To aswer your question about grenades, I havent done any rifle grenades, but the AI use the launchers very well, they use them out to 400-450m, you can carry more now too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PFC_Mike @ 16 May 2003,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sigmund Freud is a disgraced physcologist from ~100 years ago. A Freudian slip is an idea he came up with. It means to say something you actually believe or think but you don't want or intend to say. Basically, you acidentally let out some supressed truth or something.

Will the RPK have more than one mag choice? See the HK pack HK21.<span id='postcolor'>

Eh thanks PFC !

Ok ok, I know who is Freud, I even read some of his books as i did with some of Jung and some others smile.gif

What I didn't understood was the association with " lip " that I translate for " mistake ".

Freud is disgraced ? wow.gif

* sorry for the offtopic *

But you're mistaken !  

I didn't said anything I didn't wanted to say ! tounge.gif

I clearly and voluntary said thank you to Speedy Monkey because :

1 - For the developper of a mod, replying, answering to ->some<- questions and requests ( or not so formal it's equal )may become tiring or even irritating, just like we were considering by our questions that the developper didn't already deeply thought about the " how " and " why "  of the features of the mod.

2 - Related to 1, because it means simply I thanks for that communication about theyr job, wich means also by association thanks for theyr job.

3 - related to 1 and 2, best way with my poor english to prepare him to read what I said above that thanks without looking like I was just and only criticizing that choice smile.gif

Try give the correct feeling I am open minded and not that I'd just want to argue as a troll to call for a feature I would like to see in that pack. smile.gif

Maybe it's unclear I'm really sorry my bad english is really a strong barreer for me on those boards.

And of course maybe the effect I reached is not the one I wanted because I do not know enough the meanings behind the words of a foreign language.

But anyway I said thanks just because I wanted to say it smile.gif

best regards

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Think the RPK as a more presise AK47 not a replacement PK. If you want suppressive fire then just use the PK, the RPK wasn't really designed to replace GPMGs, but to give the squad some longer range firepower<span id='postcolor'>

Yes yes it's ok about not confusing GPMG and LMG purposes and that RPKs are made also to give longer legs to the squad as the Ak's effective range is somewhat short.

But LMG anyway are made as every MG, RPK beeing a support fire weapon as others, to give bigger volume of fire wink.gif ( with easiest full auto control for/with a lesser weight etc.. as we all know )

And precisely why the russians created it and its drum magazine wink.gif far before westerners thought about making any LMG biggrin.gif ( that's innovative and tactically fed by realism )Please, please do not cut off that feature from the original real life weapon in your so promising mod ! smile.gif

-- while M249 and others will have theyr belt fed features eh ! --

That's why they are light machinegungs and not marksmans rifles with prolongated auto fire ability or something else, even if in that case the RPK is more accurate than the AK wink.gifsmile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> To aswer your question about grenades, I havent done any rifle grenades, but the AI use the launchers very well, they use them out to 400-450m, you can carry more now too<span id='postcolor'>

They use grenades at 400 meters !?

Yeehah !!!

Thank you and...please,

Keep up the good work ! smile.gifwink.gif

wow.gif8--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ 18 May 2003,11wow.gif8)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">OK then I might do the drum mag wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

lol smile.gif

Sorry wink.gifsmile.gif

Tracers ? Well, it's just because you asm me ! wow.giftounge.gif

My preference is just for Mgs, even not in LMGs but some people use them in rifles, every X rounds or at the end of the mag...but as OFP let to know how many rounds still are in the mag at any time.

I believe it is more realist and funny to find where the fire come from by spoting the flashes etc ; tracers breaks the stealthy spirit for human players, and OFP tracers do not really allow to aim using them, and more, engagement ranges will be higher so...GPMG with tracers is fine, AR and LMGs not ( except belt fed maybe question of taste )

My two cents

Alright Ive done a drum mag (took me 2 minutes), how many rounds do they hold? 75, 100 what? I think I am making it so the ARs don't have tracers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (cheeky monkey @ 18 May 2003,12:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Alright Ive done a drum mag (took me 2 minutes), how many rounds do they hold? 75, 100 what? I think I am making it so the ARs don't have tracers.<span id='postcolor'>

2 minutes ? :o

Wow.

75 rounds for both RPK 47 and 74.

Thank you Cheeky Monkey.

I feel growing the sentiment I could become a lobbyist lol !

ahem, let's try with rifle grenades ? lol

Seriously. Longer engagement range, complete range of weapons for both sides, longer engagement range for grenades, more grenades carried, seriously this sounds very interesting and could be the greatest improvement related to small weaponry for OFP ever made.

Then the next step to finish and complete a full realistic game upgrade would be : add the ability to use rifle grenade for weapons that realy can, more often use of those and grenades by the AI, longer engagement range for the rocket launchers and recoil less guns including HE/ barimetric rounds on softer targets.

I mean I'm not calling for you to do those last things, but what you've done sounds like more than half that way is done.

best regards

About the tracers, I will agree with Maraudeur. Personally, I always hated the tracer effects in Operation Flashpoint, so please limit them only to the machine guns.

A question, not sure if you answered this previously, will you be implementing an "aiming lag" system like the one Keg used on the RPK in his Russian weapon pack? I personally liked the balance this addition gave to the weapons. It made the RPK less useful in closer engangements where you have to swing your rifle around quickly. It also gave an interesting effect to the AI when they fired it; they start firing before the gun is fully aimed, so the line of fire slowly swings towards its target.

I dont know about the aiming lag. I have airsoft M4/M203 and all togther with everything on it (scopes metal bodies etc it weighs around 6 kg and I find it just as easy to swing around and aim as when it had nothing on and weighed 3 kg, I know Im not the same as everyone else, but Im not exeptionally strong. If you had an RPK which weighs what, 6kg? you would still be able to point it around just like an AK47, its only downfall is that its length gets in the way in Close Quarters, but that would not slow you from swinging it around, it may carry on swinging around after you intend on stopping as most of the weight is in that heavy barrel and bipod. The only weapons I could see "lagging" are heavy sniper rifles - Barrett, McMillan etc, but as my pack doesn't include these....

Maybe the M60, PK and HK21 as they weigh over 9 kg and are over 1m long, but still they would not lag much. I see your point though as at the mo the HK 21 is ridiculous, 950 rpm and its totally controlable crouched and prone. tounge.gif

Anyway the rifles dont have tracers, I wouldn't load tracers into a rifle capable of only burst fire. The MGs have them though, They might be too bright at the mo, look a bit tacky, but you can see them from a mile away which is quite useful.

are there tracer lods?

I'm guessing not, but if there were you could have a less bright texture for nearer

There might be actually. If you put the frame rate setting high you can only see tracers around you, they disappear quickly. Put the setting low and you can see the tracer flying all the way to its target.

Just need to recrew and re equip the BMP, Bradley, A10LGB (only the cannon), and that single seater Russian Chopper, is it the Hokum, I have never really used it and cant remember its name. smile.gif

Cheeky Monkey.... please keep the tracers VERY bright!  Have you ever seen tracer rounds in real life?  I've fired lots of different weapons in the Army using tracer ammunition and the bullets are very bright even in the daytime.  The default tracers in Operation Flashpoint are way too hard to see.  So please make them fat and bright. Also perhaps slow the bullets down like on that Flak 34 AA gun that GFX-707 made.  The tracers on that cannon look perfect!  

Someone else mentioned making tracer LOD's where it's less bright the nearer they are... that's rubbish.  Trust me, they look VERY bright when they are wizzing by your head!!!  Anyone who's ever done night infiltration training (during Army Basic Training) where they have M60's or M240 machine guns firing over your head can attest to this fact.

Also you are right about tracers making it easier to spot the MG gunners.  There is an old saying in the military, "tracers work both ways".   Meaning that while you can better aim the weapon with tracers (especially at night), the enemy can pinpoint your position easier as well by following where the tracers came from.  smile.gif  

Also on the issue of lag while moving the weapon, like you said, weight does not make much of a difference.  With the big M60 machine gun for example, I was able to very rapidly swing around to different positions while standing up.  I personally HATE the lag on the RPK's in Keg's weapon pack.

That feels VERY unrealistic.  So please no lag on weapon handling.  You already turn too slow in OFP as it is.  

Finally please don't make the AK-47 engagment range past 300 meters.  If you do I recommed that you add the "high-dispersion" effect on the AK-47 and its different variants.  This is because Ak-47's in general are not very accurate past 200 meters.  Personally I consider them more of a 100 meter weapon in real life.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I always thought that tracers were really bright. I can remember seein them in archive footage from WW2, Korea, Vietnam and you could see them as clear in daylight as you can in the night. So I'll do that. The thing about the AK47 is this. I want the enemies to still shoot at you at 500m. OK then look at it this way. You have a squad of troops with M16A2s, they are firing at those guys 500m away. Those baddies with the 47s are not just going to sit ther crawling towards you unil they get within 300m and then start shooting. Ive made it so that you can hit easy with the gun at 100-150m just like any other, ok its not going to go exactly where you point it, but you'll hit. Past 300m, youre hitting dirt unless you're really lucky. So these guys will still shoot, but will not hit most of the time. Ive given them all near realistic muzzle velocities. The Ak47 is around 710m/s, am I right? This means that it will take longer to get there and also it drops more over ranges, reducing your chances of hitting anything over 300m.

I got the M16A2 as 944.88m/s and the M4A1 as 886.97m/s.

G3A3 as 799.79m/s AK47 as 709.89m/s

Oh yeah somet you might wanna know. The Front sights of the carbines and SMGs look closer than the front sights of the full rifles in the Iron sight view, this makes the full sized rifles alot more useful at longer ranges. Also the stock on the AKS74 and AKSU74 has now changed, its just like the one on the Bizon now. smile.gif

I got rid of the ACOGS on the M4 now, it has a scope like the one on the XMS, but it isn't a non magnification red dot anymore, its a x4 mag with a simple crosshair, also I have given one to the M16A2 as well. Attached to the M4 is abit pointless as it isn't very accurate past 350m, it just frustrates me seeing how far the bullets are missing by. Attached to the M16A2 though, its a very useful weapon, good for Special Forces. I suppose I should give the AKs and G3s some optical sights. I might take a look at Kegs AK103 and 7 tonight.

For the G3SG use an optic with X6 magnification to keep it like it was issued and born in late '70s but you could simply add another scope as it is more often seen since very long time now, as a 3-12X by 50 as you may find here :

http://www.schmidtbender.com/frames/scharf.htm

For others variants of the G3 you may simply add an ACOG, why not this one ?

http://www.trijicon-inc.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=153

An 4X ACOG fitted to an AUG would be very welcome also smile.gif

As usual, when I'm searching someting in my bookmarks I cannot find it back mad.gifcrazy.gif

As I lack a digital camera or a scanner for russian optics look at commercial sites to have an idea ( damn Kalinka is down, no reticle picture, bad day today crazy.gif )

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstpso.html

http://www.impactguns.com/store/russian_scopes.html

http://www.sksman.com/access/scopes3.html

Sorry couldn't find better in the hurry, yes, AK's with scopes would be great ! smile.gif