Sign in to follow this  
Othin

Freedom fries 2

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 18 2003,07:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They have French/Italian origins.

http://www.snydersofhanover.com/Pages/Other/History_pretzels.html<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm...somehow I doubt it because the border area of northern Italy, the south west of France and the south east of Germany has at some given time in history been in French, Italian or German possesion. Pretzel sounds definately german to mee. Of course, origins are muddled like in Alsace Lorraine which is an area with similar history.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 18 2003,07:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 18 2003,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Like I said, "after all , the US started this whole food sillyness - it's always priceless to see the schoolyard bully beaten at his own game. " smile.gif. Call it hypocrisy if you wish - it's not unlike you to misuse words anyhow., I call it one of the most clever rebukes I've seen in a while.<span id='postcolor'>

I call it just as childish as changing the name of french fries, which you so vehemently spoke out against.  Actually, even more childish as they're wanting for the president to choke.  It's hypocrisy because when the US does this you call it childish and stupid, but when the French do the same thing you applaud it.<span id='postcolor'>

First, I never "vehemently opposed" it, I just felt it was moronic to the point that I wasn't sure wether I was reading a real news site or The Onion. The reasons I thought it was moronic was:

-Politicians were behind this

-French Fries have nothing to do with France

-It was done out of spite, and tried to compare France's relationship with the US to that of Germany during WW2, when sauerkraut was called "Liberty Cabbage"

Now the French response I find hilarious because it beat the US at this game. The reasons why that is:

-No French taxes were wasted thinking this up

-Bush and Pretzels have a very symbolic bond as opposed to the French and French Fries.

-Charity benefits from this

-Americans are made aware of a food that actually comes from France

The big difference is that the "freedom fries" travesty had political support with several congressmen and senators expressing their support. The pretzel thing is however just a thing some French anti-war protesters did. It has no political backing from the Frech government in any way.

I think both sides are funny. C'mon people, lighten up. Reality is ugly enough as it is but these particular fries and pretzels jokes are really nonsensical.

Erm. Seriously folks, you do know that it wasn't the US that started freedom fries, right? It was just ONE places resturant that did it. Its not like Dan Rather went on T.V. and proclaimed that McDonalds, Burger King and any other fast food establishment in the whole country took on this name. Quit saying "The U.S. changed the name" mad.gif

Die Bretze or the the pretzel as you call it, is of course a german invention.A bavarian one to be precise. Anyone that says different here in Bavaria will be hung on the next church tower with his head down.

A bretzel is to a pretzel, what a loaf of French Bread is to a crouton. A real bretzel, the kind you might find in a Bavarian Beer Garden, is larger than your average pizza. It's crisp on the outside, but soft and moist on the inside. The top is sprinkled with salt crystals.

You could easily look at a photograph of a Bavarian beer next to a bretzel and think you were looking at American beer and pretzels. But then you might notice the body of a drowned tourist floating in the beer...

This is the original Biergartenbrezel:

bretze.jpg

Even our asian friends know that it is german:

bretzel.jpg

This is the small version for Breakfast, lunch etc.:

pretzel.jpg

Another "Bretze" product :

vw_03.jpg

The so called VW "Split" (Bretzel) de 1951

A girl like this is also called a "Bretze" sometimes :

nov-beauty-2.jpg

biggrin.gif

Anyway I hope the whole TBA will be served pretzels plenty for breakfast, lunch and supper. The world can only benefit.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 18 2003,06:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 18 2003,06:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's also ingenious in that it clearly shows what the French wish would happen to Bush biggrin.gif.<span id='postcolor'>

Not just the French wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I`d rather see Paul Wolfowitz choke on a peace pretzel. He`s the one behind all this US warmongering. Pres. Bush is just naive and a little stupid. I guess it was Denoir calling him Homer Simpson in the White House and that he is. D`oh! wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Mar. 18 2003,17:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hmm...somehow I doubt it because the border area of northern Italy, the south west of France and the south east of Germany has at some given time in history been in French, Italian or German possesion. Pretzel sounds definately german to mee. Of course, origins are muddled like in Alsace Lorraine which is an area with similar history.<span id='postcolor'>

Not according to that website.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First, I never "vehemently opposed" it, I just felt it was moronic to the point that I wasn't sure wether I was reading a real news site or The Onion.<span id='postcolor'>

In other words... wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">-Politicians were behind this

-French Fries have nothing to do with France

-It was done out of spite, and tried to compare France's relationship with the US to that of Germany during WW2, when sauerkraut was called "Liberty Cabbage"<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, some politicians were behind this. Buuut

- Pretzels are not that American, they have French/Italian origins.

- This was also done out of spite.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Die Bretze or the the pretzel as you call it, is of course a german invention.A bavarian one to be precise.<span id='postcolor'>

Not according to that website.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not according to that website. <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah sure FS...

You know better. Hahaha !

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.ellehk.com/Media/thismonthinelle/nov-beauty-2.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

First thing to be posted in this thread that was actually worth the energy required to post it.

I think everyone should lighten up and realize that this was probably the most mature gesture in Franco-American relations in the last 3 months. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 18 2003,14:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First, I never "vehemently opposed" it, I just felt it was moronic to the point that I wasn't sure wether I was reading a real news site or The Onion.<span id='postcolor'>

In other words... wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

You know FS, your record of arguing about words isn't that great wink.gif. "vehemently opposing" and finding something absurd and self defeating are not the same thing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Pretzels are not that American, they have French/Italian origins.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes and? The French aren't trying to rename an American food. They're just capitalizing on the link between Pretzels and Bush, a much stronger link than that between France and French Fries

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

- This was also done out of spite.

<span id='postcolor'>

This was done by private citizens, not elected government officials as with the Freedom Fries. They also aren't aiming the insult at a whole country, just at one person. And it was only done in response to the Freedom Fries.

Okay for once i'm on the side of the yanks, some of the skeezy cheeses they eat on the continent - yuck!

I really like blue cheese though!

I'm also not very big on wine, I like my German orange juice!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 18 2003,15:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey! Hey! I've got a great idea!

Let's make fun of strudel! biggrin.gif

sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

on the contrary...

lets make fun of "Falafel" crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ Mar. 18 2003,16:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 18 2003,15:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey! Hey! I've got a great idea!

on the contrary...

lets make fun of "Falafel"  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OK. You do know that felafel's origins are in Egypt?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 18 2003,14:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not according to that website.<span id='postcolor'>

and then:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not according to that website.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't give a fuck about that website. I had a look at it - and several others. Actually, I could only find US websites with information on the Pretzel. Now what does that tell you?

That the pretzels whereabouts is pretty much confined to USA. I have no doubt it has german origins - just think about it - does "pretzel" sound very french to you? Does zitronensprudel also sound french to you? Why don't you use some common sense. Also, the other websites I found suggested that it had it's origins from the area between France and Italy - which means it nessecarily have to be pretty close to Germany as well. Find a map and see if you can find where Bavaria is located (as Balschiow told you) .

Why don't you at least try to see the obvious instead of using the same boring arguments as in the Iraq-thread: no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 18 2003,15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Why don't you at least try to see the obvious instead of using the same boring arguments as in the Iraq-thread: no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't!<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think he can see the obvious, that portrait of Bush he has pasted to his face is clearly blinding him. No wonder he can only see through Bush's eyes.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (brgnorway @ Mar. 18 2003,16:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't - no it isn't!<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gifYES IT IS! wow.gif

crazy.gif

tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 18 2003,15:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ Mar. 18 2003,16:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 18 2003,15:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey! Hey! I've got a great idea!

on the contrary...

lets make fun of "Falafel"  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

OK. You do know that felafel's origins are in Egypt?<span id='postcolor'>

It is??

oh, my apologies.  wink.gif

edit:

gheez why are u guys argueing about "pretzels" anyway? lol biggrin.gif

FSPilot.

I think you're taking this a little bit more seriously then it warrants. I'm an American (in the military no less) and I found it funny. I think it's a bit of innocent humor and as far as I'm concerned it's no worse then the 90808373709 websites that have sprung up in the last few weeks with French jokes, flash cartoons, etc.

The whole situation is stupid to begin with, someone is trying to make light of it and have fun. I'm all for it. smile.gif

"The soft pretzel (brezel, “laugen brot,†etc.), very much part of the southern German and Swiss German traditions, clearly arrived in the New World with the Pennsylvania Dutch. Known for their thrift and industry, these settlers figured out how to economically create a pretzel that would keep—they dried it out."

http://www.martinspretzels.com/history.html

I cant believe I even bothered to look for that site... It seems however that pretzels are indeed German. As indicated by the name, which for sure isn't the least bit french. It was also the "invention" of a monk, or so its said.

*puts pretzal in box, seals it with duct tape, wraps it in plastic and then puts "Anthrax Free stamp on top*

I wonder if it'll make it past the border.