Sign in to follow this  
PitViper

What vehicles have you owned?

I forgot to ask earlier:

How many of you drive automatic cars?  I hear they are very popular (or at least more popular than over here) in the US.

Personally I'd never get an automatic gearbox, and I don't understand why some people do.

At the moment, I have access to only automatic cars (Because you take what gets given). But having driven practically identical cars, only difference being the transmission, I'd take a manual car anyday. I'd probably take a manual over a 'sequential' gearbox as well. I rather non-variable ratio steering as well.

Auto gearbox's make driving less 'interactive' as well as taking a small percentage of power away yet increasing fuel consumption.

I think it's a shame that most new car buyers down here opt for auto transmissions, especially so when the car is a 'performance' car.

I don't really know why either. It think it boils down to practicality. Most like the minimal input of an auto. Others prefer the added control of a manual.

because people tend to be too lazy to shift gears

and when i see some friends play on manual on gran turismo 3 it scares me alot, good things the engine dont blow up in gt3 crazy_o.gif

Chieftain

Challenger 1

Challenger 2

Samaritan

Sultan

Spartan

Scimitar

LR110

LR Wolf

Ferret

Driven all but not owned.

Silver front shocked GT MTB - Owned

I forgot to ask earlier:

How many of you drive automatic cars?  I hear they are very popular (or at least more popular than over here) in the US.

Personally I'd never get an automatic gearbox, and I don't understand why some people do.

Most like the minimal input of an auto. Others prefer the added control of a manual.

because people tend to be too lazy to shift gears

and when i see some friends play on manual on gran turismo 3 it scares me alot, good things the engine dont blow up in gt3  crazy_o.gif

What someone does in a game isn't really a good comparison as to how they'd drive on the road. If I drove on the road like I do in a game, I'd have died, written off the car and taken an innocent motorist with me within minutes of starting the engine for the first time.

No-one in their right mind would subject a road car (that they mechanically respected) continually to the same conditions of say a driving game (i.e.,Being mechanically unsympathetic by driving it like you stole it.) The costs of doing so are substantial. I only have to look at my neighbours across the road. Two otherwise decent cars mechanically thrashed because quite simply, they have no idea how to treat a car in the long run.

I'm one of those lazy people...I like to have my other hand free for beverages...non-alcoholic, of course.  wink_o.gif

Heck, if I had my choice, I'd replace my driver seat with a Laz-E-Boy recliner!  tounge_o.gif

P.S. the only special license I have is a forklift license - used to drive 'em for a job a few years back...

I had an '85 Dodge Caravan (complete with Dead Kennedys stickers on the back), an '84 Toyota Tercel (which lasted approximately 1 month), an '89 Camry (which had 200,000 miles on it when it finally died) and now a '98 Jetta, which I'm not too fond of and with a bumper falling off. crazy_o.gif

Next vehicle, I'm thinking a pickup truck (F150 maybe) to support my nomadic lifestyle or a mid-size, Japanese SUV with good gas mileage. Also to support my nomadic lifestyle. smile_o.gif

Special licenses - HMMWV, 5-ton, 2.5-ton, HEMMT, and M113. I think that's it. rock.gif

Hmmm,...In chronological order:

1) Green 72 Ford Galaxie 500 4 Door (exactly like Dirty Harrys car)

2) 84 Toyota pickup

3) BAD ASSED 82 Pontiac Firebird, with a rebuilt 1970 455 SD shoe-horned under the hood

4) 1987 Pontiac TransAm

5) 1973 Chevy Caprice, two door...with a small block 400

currently) 2001 Dodge Durango XL

(I actually still have all of them except for the Ford Galaxie, and the Chevy Caprice)...although I do still have the motor out of the Chevy.

Edited to add: 83 Suzuki GS550L, and soon to be 2003 Yamaha V-MAX

Christ - I'd like to see your garage  :0

LOL...Well, the 82 Firebird was clobbered by a migrant worker van that ran a stop sign...It is dis-mantled, and most of the parts are in storage (only the motor is in my garage)

The 84 Toyota pickup is at my brothers house, (he uses it as a work truck)

The 87 TransAm is whole, and intact...but I have not driven it in over 5 years. It is in storage at my uncles transmission shop (where I worked for about 8 years, before becoming a fire medic)

The motor from the Chevy Caprice sits in the same storage locker as the parts from the Firebird.

The Suzuki is in my garage (occupying the space that will soon be filled with a new V-MAX)

And,...of course, the Durango is what I am driving now

.....which proves the fact that it's nice to have a large family  biggrin_o.gif

Well, an update....Here is my VMAX:

[ig]http://www.ezshots.com/members/madmedic/images/madmedic-71.jpg[/img] >100kb

madmedic-70.jpg

madmedic-72.jpg

And thats my Durango in the background

That's probably the best looking custom bike I've ever seen. That one or HD V-Rod.

All other customs are crap. smile_o.gif

That's probably the best looking custom bike I've ever seen. That one or HD V-Rod.

Its not customized at all (yet)...completely factory stock.

like this one...

vmax-pepe.jpg

crap  rock.gif  crazy_o.gif

No.. I didn't mean like that, I meant the type of bikes that look like HD's, like this one. That picture is from a Danish site with almost only "custom bikes" of the type I mean (and the domain is custommc.dk), maybe you don't use the same term.

1967 Aston Martin Db6 Vantage Coupe...Restored and currently driving

1971 MGB...currently the wife's, working to get it fixed up and proper so we're not stranded on I-95 AGAIN.

1983 Honda Ascot 500cc...never got the license, sat til I sold it.

1986 Jeep CJ-7...loved this old junker, ran it til it wouldn't give me another ounce of power.

1965 Ford Mustang...Restored, Sold

1984 Ford Club Wagon...Sold

1976 Chevy Nova...the ol' silver bullet, drove it til it just died, made a pact to never put another ounce of a fluid in her and she still kept running; eventually donated

1999 Chevy Tahoe...semi-adopted from my father, currently driving

After my father retired some years ago he'd pursued his love of restoring classic cars. I encourage all young guys to get their dads into this. Through High School, Uni and Med School, he'd let me drive his work and it paid off  tounge_o.gif

At 31, I'm getting that damn there's a lot of things I want to do feeling...IF (and that's a big IF) I've got the time, I hope to look into getting my motorcycle license (long overdue) and get a Deuce Softail Harley Davidson.

No.. I didn't mean like that, I meant the type of bikes that look like HD's, like this one. That picture is from a Danish site with almost only "custom bikes" of the type I mean (and the domain is custommc.dk), maybe you don't use the same term.

You mean "retro cruisers" (the bikes that look like Harleys)...

I dont like those either.

A VMAX is not a retro cruiser, doesnt look like a Harley, or operate anything like a Harley.

They came out in 1985, before the "retro cruiser" fad, and have remained virtually un-changed to this day.

A Harley (and most retro cruisers) have pushrod operated V-twin motors, with one carbuerator.

The VMAX has an OHC V-4 with 4 carbeurators, and electronic "V-BOOST" induction.

145 hp from the factory, not hard to get one closer to the 200 hp mark with some work and tuning.

Yeah after I posted and took another look I started to doubt that it was a "retro cruiser." It's much nicer tounge_o.gif

a bike unclesam.gif

pv.jpg

Like this or care to be more specific? tounge_o.gif

My first real vehicle, after a moped (Peugeot Speedfight 2):

Honda XR 500 R '84

040730-1-Cross.jpg

Here seen on the rear wheel:

040730-2-Bakslang.jpg

First car: Acura Integra (old model) circa 89'

Bought it at an auction. It was basically a lemon.

Had to get a rebuilt auto-transmission costed more than the car itself, AC didnt work due to a leak which would have cost me more money. Front left axel fell off its place while going up an ramp doing a left turn.

Also experienced my first car theft with this one.

The guys stole my CD changer, player, amp, and yes even the cigarrette lighter from the car!

Bonus: the car was locked back once they took its contents.

Second Vehicle: Jeep Grand Cherokee 99'

No bad experiences 'xept the near accident on the off ramp.

Skidded three cars down bracking preventing myself from rear ending a stationary dodge truck.

Sold it due to relocation.

Hmmm,...In chronological order:

Well, an update....Here is my VMAX:

the background

V-Max Rocks!

nuff said