Sign in to follow this  
Tovarish

Would you like some freedom fries with that?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ Mar. 12 2003,00:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While I do understand that MANY MANY french people HATE american food and American culture. (It seems that it is a part of French culture to criticize American culture)

<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, the english have been victims of the francophiles a lot longer!

This is one of the most stupid things i heard all week!

Fucking hilarious though how bloody childish the yanks get!

*falls of chair laughing*  biggrin.gif

Yeah, I think because the English accent makes it harder for them to try to speak French.

Since us Americans have don't have an accent(except for southerners and New Englanders) it is easier for us to try new languages.

What the hell, you just adopt the accent. I used to be able to speak welsh so scandinavian with uch sounds comes quite easy to me. You just adjust you're accent and copy them.

With French you make your voice softer and your sounds less sharp to accomadate the language. None of the anglo saxon Ks that we get in English.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Mar. 12 2003,00:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">First of all, the name was changed before the book even hit the shores.  It was changed because of a fundamental difference in the meaning of philosopher from shore to shore.  To me a philosopher is someone like Plato, not an old man who practices magic.  

Someone who practices magic or sorcery is either a magician or a sorcerer (by definition).  Someone who practices philosophey is a....philosopher.

And according to dictionary.com a philosophers stone is "an imaginary stone which the alchemists formerly sought as instrument of converting the baser metals into gold."

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=philosopherhttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sorceryhttp://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=magician<span id='postcolor'>

You are right on most points, but the book was out long before the movie.

The movie was released in 2001, the book in 1999.

The title refers to the object "the philosopher's stone", as per your definition.

Changing it to sorceror's stone was stupid, IMHO.

It's like changing "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" to "Monty Python and the Sacred Grail".

It's just a personal pet peeve of mine.

As a sidenote, the movie "Pręt-ŕ-Porter" had it's name changed to "Ready to Wear" for US release (the only western country this was done in AFAIK) because they thought a movie with a foreign title would scare off audiences.

I don't think movie ditributors have a very high opinion of the intellect of American moviegoers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 12 2003,01<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What the hell, you just adopt the accent. I used to be able to speak welsh so You just adjust you're accent and copy them.

With French you make your voice softer and your sounds less sharp to accomadate the language. None of the anglo saxon Ks that we get in English.<span id='postcolor'>

Aaahhh, there's that "W"-word again hehe!

I'm wondering about that sound though? (no, I'm not sarcastic) :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">scandinavian with uch sounds comes quite easy to me. <span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">scandinavian with uch sounds comes quite easy to me. <span id='postcolor'>

Ok - I think I know what you mean!

Is it what we call the "kje" sound perhaps - like the pronouncing of the "ch" - sound in China - but instead pressing your tongue upwards in the mouth?

Take the word Reykjavik

Reykjavik

Lot's of the people from up north (not Yorkshire) say the Ks with a elongated flemmy sound at the end (that's explained badly i know) like the W people do when they say Llanedyn or something.

If a british person was told to pronounce Reykjavik they would probably say something aong the lines of RakeJavic where in Norwegian or whatever you would say ReikYavik

but the K sounds would be softened.

It's a ch sound from the back of the throat and i really should not become a language teacher of any form sad.gif

If this just confuses people just get the mods to delete it, i'm not thinking properly today.

Uhh yeah.

God dag!

Well that's all i needed before!

I think it is a very funny example of a cultural clash. USA likes to have the self image of the action hero who takes matters into his own hands, defeating the bad guy. France on the other hand likes to have the self image of the intelligent diplomat that saves the day through clever reasoning. Up until recently USA has had the benifit of being accepted for that role (thanks to the Soviet Union). Suddenly this pathetic little chickenshit beurocrat France stands in their way, obstructing the path of justice and clouding the issues. As any good action hero, USA can only feel contempt for such spineless beaurocrats whose only agenda is making themselves important. What is worse: they are actually suceeding in hindering our hero. Even his trusty sidekick Britain is having second thoughts.

France on the other hand as any good diplomat wants to talk things over, make a compromise and it infuriates them when this violent Neanderthal, USA, who has the mental capacity of a moderately gifted piece of lumber can sabotage their negotiations and delicate planning. They feel that they have the ultimate grasp of the complex world we live in while USA knows only one thing: "Me want to club something."

Now as a result of these different views the actions that they take to show their displeasure with the situation mean nothing to the other side. If you think that renaming "french fries" to "freedom fries" is going to insult the French, think again. They are collectivly laughing their asses off in France at USA. They feel that it only reinforces their opinion that USA is an impotent neanderthal bully that has been put in place by the smart France.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 12 2003,00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is one of the most stupid things i heard all week!

*falls of chair laughing*  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Dissapointing how idiotic some Brits are.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,02:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Me want to club something."<span id='postcolor'>

Hahaha...I'm still laughing!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ Mar. 12 2003,02:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jinef @ Mar. 12 2003,00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This is one of the most stupid things i heard all week!

*falls of chair laughing*  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Dissapointing how idiotic some Brits are.<span id='postcolor'>

Indeed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,02:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you think that renaming "french fries" to "freedom fries" is going to insult the French, think again. They are collectivly laughing their asses off in France at USA. They feel that it only reinforces their opinion that USA is an impotent neanderthal bully that has been put in place by the smart France.<span id='postcolor'>

That was my first thought...hell I had to read the article twice to make sure it wasn't some sort of satire. Pretty self defeating move that just made them look extreemely childish.

Yes, I can just see the headlines in France now -

"America changes name of crappy consumer product which actually has nothing to do with France in the first place as an attempt to express outrage over recent UN events...nation devastated!"

Oh well, at least it will give Cleatus and Bubba a laugh. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 12 2003,02:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,02wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you think that renaming "french fries" to "freedom fries" is going to insult the French, think again. They are collectivly laughing their asses off in France at USA. They feel that it only reinforces their opinion that USA is an impotent neanderthal bully that has been put in place by the smart France.<span id='postcolor'>

That was my first thought...hell I had to read the article twice to make sure it wasn't some sort of satire. Pretty self defeating move that just made them look extreemely childish.<span id='postcolor'>

At first I wondered if new sources hadnt accidentally pulled something off The Onion, thinking it was AP or something. Then I realized that even The Onion couldnt make up something this silly smile.gif

i don't give a shit. I saw this news this morning and thought it was just to silly, but it happened.

and i didi have french fries for lunch. i love those fried frenches. tounge.gif

speaking against denoir, i say this is so silly that it's not even worth having you write all those criticism. geeze, you got a lot of time on your hands. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 12 2003,02:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i don't give a shit. I saw this news this morning and thought it was just to silly, but it happened.

and i didi have french fries for lunch. i love those fried frenches. tounge.gif

speaking against denoir, i say this is so silly that it's not even worth having you write all those criticism. geeze, you got a lot of time on your hands. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

And the fact that your tax dollars pay for this sillyness dosen't bother you? confused.gif

it just proved my point that some congressman and their party is silly. enough said. so my tax was worth it. historical evidence of my point being proven.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 12 2003,02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And the fact that your tax dollars pay for this sillyness dosen't bother you?  confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Our tax dollars pay for so much silliness already that at this point a few slices of freedom toast aren't going to make a difference tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 12 2003,02:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif1--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 12 2003,02wow.gif1)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If you think that renaming "french fries" to "freedom fries" is going to insult the French, think again. They are collectivly laughing their asses off in France at USA. They feel that it only reinforces their opinion that USA is an impotent neanderthal bully that has been put in place by the smart France.<span id='postcolor'>

That was my first thought...hell I had to read the article twice to make sure it wasn't some sort of satire. Pretty self defeating move that just made them look extreemely childish.<span id='postcolor'>

Same. I thought that it was some kind of joke on MSN, along the same lines as the review of the Sims Expansion: The Liebermans in PC Gamer. smile.gif

When I realized it was no joke, I said to myself "What the fuck were they smoking!". Seriously, renaming it to freedom fries? What the hell? I'm glad I live in Canada, because if I was in the US today, I would've been in Wendy's eating freedom fries. tounge.gif

Yea, I really think this is just a temporary naming though.

I mean, it IS temporary, right?

Well, most of our population is overweight. Maybe they'll be too lazy to stick too the new name.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What an insular attitude, bordering on racist.<span id='postcolor'>

Nice try, but countries aren't races. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What they fail to mention is that France imports far more goods from the US then vice versa. A mutual boycott would hurt USA economically much more then it would hurt France. Sure, the French would not get their Coca-Cola, but USA wouldn't get their $$$. So you can figure out who will be more unhappy, the French without Coke or the Americans without dollars. smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, France is really the base of our economic powerhouse. What ever would we do without all that money. wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 11 2003,23:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So I guess I can no longer have a french kiss leading up to the use of a french letter sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Naaa. Over here none of that is necessary. You can just hop right into bed tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Mar. 11 2003,23:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while

<span style='color:red'>*edit*</span> What next, replace the Statue of Liberty? tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i agree. this ultra patriotic crap is getting really irritating. i have no problem hanging the flag for love of the country or for support of our forces, but freedom fries are getting a bit to carried away.