Sign in to follow this  
foxer

New bomb,bigger then daisy cutter.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SKULLS_Viper @ Mar. 12 2003,10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I wonder what airplane is going to carry it?But that is pretty big, for a non-nuclear bomb.<span id='postcolor'>

It would have to be a big bomber like the B-52 or B-1b, or if its a really hot target, a B-2. Those bombers have very big bomb bays. If all else fails, do what they do with the daisy cutter, throw it out the back of a transport plane.

I'm more impressed with precision bombs. Ones that punch through the target dead center. Amazing stuff, especially if you've ever tried to do something else while flying a plane.

I remember once I simply looked down at my map for what seemed like a few seconds, when I looked up the plane was banked at what seemed like 45+ degrees and descending. wow.gif

ooooooooo0o0o0o0o0! aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

*drools* Id hate to be the bomb defuser of that one...

I hope they dont start using Florida as there testing grounds tounge.gif If i saw one of those things explode as i look out the window i'd probably think were getting raided by terrorists and run like hell biggrin.gif Does anyone know what nearby city it was exploded by?

Theres a saying among bomb technicians (saw it in a movie see if you can guess it)

"Im a bomb technician. If you see me running, try to catch up."

biggrin.gif

It seems that MOAB won't hold the title of biggest conventional bomb for long, the US military is working on "Big BLU", a 30,000 pound monster, which would be almost 50% bigger than MOAB. wow.gif

Hm...... when I play the video he sais "the pentagon just released its video...", then it goes into another advertisement. Is there any other links to watch it?

I got the same problem max...

This is all probably just to scare the Iraqis. Especially the ones who remember GW1.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 12 2003,12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It seems that MOAB won't hold the title of biggest conventional bomb for long, the US military is working on "Big BLU", a 30,000 pound monster, which would be almost 50% bigger than MOAB. wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What next? Hollow out a B-52 and fill it with explosives then fly it via remote control to the target? (The US experimented with this in WW2 with B-17s). Think of how much explosives you could shove into a B-52...

Might not take off though tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Mar. 12 2003,17:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 12 2003,12:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It seems that MOAB won't hold the title of biggest conventional bomb for long, the US military is working on "Big BLU", a 30,000 pound monster, which would be almost 50% bigger than MOAB. wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

What next? Hollow out a B-52 and fill it with explosives then fly it via remote control to the target? (The US experimented with this in WW2 with B-17s). Think of how much explosives you could shove into a B-52...

Might not take off though tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

i think a few sides did that, even sum purpose built planes, i also think brits used to load up sum landcasters and send them on their way.

They also tried to use pigeons as a guidance system. They'd have them peck at a target and give them a treat, then somehow tie them into guidance fins on a bomb. So when they pecked on the target it would aim the bomb. I assume they'd get a treat, they are going to die after all. Might as well make them happy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 11 2003,22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They also tried to use pigeons as a guidance system.  They'd have them peck at a target and give them a treat, then somehow tie them into guidance fins on a bomb.  So when they pecked on the target it would aim the bomb.  I assume they'd get a treat, they are going to die after all.  Might as well make them happy.<span id='postcolor'>

Just pray those pigeons don't spot a hawk as they approach the target... smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Mar. 11 2003,22:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Or an old man with bread crumbs. wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Now THAT would suck! tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Mar. 12 2003,06:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I found a high-quality version of the video:

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2003/030311-D-9085M-004.mpg<span id='postcolor'>

now that's a real entertainment for men! nothing but a boom!(albeit wating 30 seconds while it fals from sky)

anybody know how far that video was taken from? confused.gif

For those who have watched the video, you might have noticed that the MOAB didn't stabilize very well, it seemed to tumble quite a bit. Not end-over-end, but you could clearly see that it was having some problems.

Of course, I don't know how close it actually came to the desired point of impact, and it would also seem that it doesn't have to hit all that close to the target.

There won't be any grass growing there for a while.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Mar. 11 2003,22:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">anybody know how far that video was taken from? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No, hard to tell. The impact is 43 seconds into the clip, and at the end of the clip at 1wow.gif8, the sound hasn't arrived yet.

At sea level (the film is from Eglin AFB in Florida), the speed of sound is about 340 meters / 1110 feet per second, so the distance had to have been at least 8.5 kilometers / 5.25 miles. My guess is that the military required observers to be much farther away than that.

Why not go for space-based kinetic energy bombs? An Ariane 5 booster for example could deliver an aerodynamic shape with small engines made of 6 tons of ceramics up to orbit. You then drop that mass down to Earth with all the speed you can muster (a frigging lot). What you get is a superheated mass slamming down to Earth with a ridiculous speed (at least 20000 kph).

We could call it a "Kinetic Harpoon".

Edit: 0.5 x 6000 kg x 5500 m/s ^2 = 1 x 10^11 Joules of kinetic energy released alone.

Editedit: Compared to 6 x 10^13 Joules for Hiroshima bomb, Kinetic Harpoons would still have 100x smaller yields, but without the nasty radiation and fallout.

I'm also more impressed with weapons that utilize modern technologies like JDAM & JSOW than a bomb casing stuffed with aluminium & amm. nitrate.

Still looks cool though smile.gif I still want to see footage of a CBU-97 or FAE in action.