redarmy

Is single player being phased out of Arma?

Reading many comments here as i havent played or kept up to date with reforger news,but from what i hear,Bohemia are focusing on console and MP? Does this mean we wont have another 3D editor?

I imagined Arma4 to far surpass  Eden and its single player to be even more customisable. If BIS are focused on MP i wont even look at Arma4 content.

Tell me this talk of phasing out SP in utter nonsense

3 hours ago, redarmy said:

Well, the things you're talking about, I'd wager come at lets say the last 10 or 20% of development cycle. You simply can't just redesign entire systems without it effecting, say, the main campaign in a major way. Now, I do not speak for BI in any way but from what I understand, whole Reforger idea is to test out current tech and to offer people something to play with, a taste if you will. Aside from stability and performance issues, from perspective related to this topic, I dunno what anyone expected but it appears we are at first 10 to 20% of said development cycle... so 2027, 2030? 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, maybe 2030. The devs can not even code simple networking, they will never add good AI and single-player missions. Just wait for Arma 4 in 2039.

8 hours ago, jakeplissken said:

Yeah, maybe 2030. The devs can not even code simple networking, they will never add good AI and single-player missions. Just wait for Arma 4 in 2039top-gun-laughing.gif

On 10/20/2023 at 2:25 PM, redarmy said:

Reading many comments here as i havent played or kept up to date with reforger news,but from what i hear,Bohemia are focusing on console and MP? Does this mean we wont have another 3D editor?

I imagined Arma4 to far surpass  Eden and its single player to be even more customisable. If BIS are focused on MP i wont even look at Arma4 content.

There is still the live mission editor and a simple dynamically generated coop mission you can play. I have also seen lots of cool coop missions with modded content so that is still an option. 

If you mean a traditional single player campaign made by the devs with voice acting and stuff, I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt get that considering the reduced price tag/scope of the game. 

On 10/20/2023 at 11:05 PM, jakeplissken said:

Yeah, maybe 2030. The devs can not even code simple networking, they will never add good AI and single-player missions. Just wait for Arma 4 in 2039.

Bro, its a game that can have over a hundred players and dozens of AI at any given moment. There is nothing simple about the networking task they are taking on. There is a reason a lot of multiplayer games don't try to fuck with the scale ARMA has. It's incredibly hard to do and I for one am glad someone is trying. 

Yes i wasnt really refering to reforger,i understand reforger is a test bed. My main concern was Arma4.

Arma3 is amazing because its editor,iv 5000 hours and i never touched a single campaign,not interested in other peoples creations scenario wise,i can make my own. Just wanted to see if BIS are going to ignore SP,like DayZ being only MP.

Single player in general has been getting phased out for a decade. It's more expensive to buiild and maintain, much easier to create environment for unpaid labor (modders) to work on "emergent player generated content" for you

16 hours ago, redarmy said:

Yes i wasnt really refering to reforger,i understand reforger is a test bed. My main concern was Arma4.

Arma3 is amazing because its editor,iv 5000 hours and i never touched a single campaign,not interested in other peoples creations scenario wise,i can make my own. Just wanted to see if BIS are going to ignore SP,like DayZ being only MP.

Oh, if by SP you mean the scenario creator, I can't see that going away anytime soon.

What would make you think it would? 

On 10/22/2023 at 9:27 PM, xKAGEONIx said:

Bro, its a game that can have over a hundred players and dozens of AI at any given moment. There is nothing simple about the networking task they are taking on. There is a reason a lot of multiplayer games don't try to fuck with the scale ARMA has. It's incredibly hard to do and I for one am glad someone is trying. 

Right, whatever one's opinion on Star Citizen is (I personally don't care that much nor do I have the budget for something like that but I gander at the progress every now and then), it took them like five or six years to develop this server meshing tech and it's still not done yet but there appears to be substantial progress. Quite incredible and perhaps something BI can look into.