Thanks man, that is very helpful.  I think I will link your post into discord.

• Thanks 1

Sneak preview from next release: 🔥Flamethrowers in Nam!!! 🔥

• Like 5

Hi JB,

Man - this just keeps on getting better - I've been hitting my infantry squad tactics pretty hot and heavy with SOG_AI combined with Voice Attack. If it's all about immersion - this combo can't be beat. Your AI squad is actually an asset to the mission now.

A couple things not everyone might notice:

You can give [SOG_AI Move] commands down to the Unit level - which is handy. When out on maneuvers - say "Sniper Go" [Select Sniper & SOG_AI Move] and my sniper is immediately off and running for a good perch to snipe from. Same - if I want to setup my heavy machine gunner in an equally advantageous position. Say "Take Point" [Select Scout & SOG_AI Move] - and my assigned Scout is running out front to make sure the path is clear. You have to assign which unit is which at the start of a mission and VA remembers: [Select Unit & say "Assign Sniper"].

The other great thing about SOG_AI is you can setup a defensive line and hold it - [SOG_AI Line and SOG_AI Halt].  Sometimes it's a little difficult to get the squad line orientated in the desired direction to repel an attack. It seems the player needs to move in the proper direction to get the squad lined up. Really comes in handy.

I also added some compound commands such as "Squad Patrol" which does [SOG_AI Silence & SOG_AI File & SOG_AI Follow Me] and "Squad Attack" which does [SOG_AI Line & SOG_AI Follow Me]. Really helpful especially in the heat of battle. All the individual SOG_AI commands are still available.

Just curious - would it be possible to add some of the remaining action menu commands to the "T" key assignments? Less menus = more immersion. Stuff like "Place a Charge". 

In general - for the SOG CDLC - it seems the REDFOR is always blabbing and seldom surprises you - while the talking should get less the more disciplined the troops - VC - to PAVN - to SPECOPS. I don't want it eliminated (definitely adds to immersion) - realizing you can completely disable voices with an included module - just reduced so you get some nasty surprises. 

I've updated my VA profile accordingly - I'll post a new link when I get it cleaned up. I had mistakenly added commands by team (red & green) for [SOG_AI Halt] and [SOG_AI Follow Me] - that only work on the squad level.

Just my two cents - please take it for what it's worth.

THANK YOU for all your hard work.

Back to drilling on the grinder - practicing for the next real mission...

😉

Regards,

Scott

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

A couple things not everyone might notice:

Great info for maximizing immersion...thanks.

6 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Say "Take Point" and my assigned point man is running out front to make sure the path is clear.

Are you actually making him first unit in squad, or is Take Point voice command selecting the unit and giving the SOG AI Move There command?  Either way, this is clever usage of Voice Attack combined with SOG AI.  

25 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Just curious - would it be possible to add some of the remaining action menu commands to the "T" key assignments? Less menus = more immersion. Stuff like "Place a Charge". 

Probably.  Need another key though, as T has 10 options already, unless I can add letters to that...never thought about it before.  So all the important SOG AI actions like Tailgunner Place Mine could be added.  Not sure how the object context specific actions would work with T key menu though.  As they would fail if player not looking directly at a Crater for "Take Cover in Crater", or a hut for "Burn that hootch".

Not that many people read these forums these days.  What you are doing is really streamlining commanding.  Have you considered creating a Demo Video of this?  If so I'd post it on Discord, link it to my mod in Steam, etc.

• Like 1

Hi JB,

Had a big long response typed up - hit some key in error - and it's gone.

ARRRRGH!

I'll type it again when I have some more time.

🙂

Regards,

Scott

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, scottb613 said:

In general - for the SOG CDLC - it seems the REDFOR is always blabbing and seldom surprises you - while the talking should get less the more disciplined the troops - VC - to PAVN - to SPECOPS. I don't want it eliminated (definitely adds to immersion) - realizing you can completely disable voices with an included module - just reduced so you get some nasty surprises. 

This makes sense and is a good idea, but its the module doing it.  I could add a CBA option to disable it entirely.  Note that the module drives their talking based on behavior.  So if the units are set to Stealth, they whisper infrequently.  If they are Careless or Aware and not in Combat, then they chatter.  So what you hear is dependent on the mission maker's behavior choices.

I could do something where I dynamically turn the module off when player squad in stealth mode, and near Dac Cong enemy.  Then turn it back on if Combat, or no longer near Dac Cong.  But not a priority for me really.  Or this is something you could script and execute from console when playing a mission.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

This makes sense and is a good idea, but its the module doing it.  I could add a CBA option to disable it entirely.  Note that the module drives their talking based on behavior.  So if the units are set to Stealth, they whisper infrequently.  If they are Careless or Aware and not in Combat, then they chatter.  So what you hear is dependent on the mission maker's behavior choices.

I could do something where I dynamically turn the module off when player squad in stealth mode, and near Dac Cong enemy.  Then turn it back on if Combat, or no longer near Dac Cong.  But not a priority for me really.  Or this is something you could script and execute from console when playing a mission.

Hi JB,

No worries on the chatty OPFOR - just thinking about the experience as a whole. I spend most of my time in sandbox mode with the OPFOR populated by ALiVE or Drongo's Map Population Tools. So - I am the guilty party - LOL.
🙂

The "Take Point" is simply a [Select Scout & SOG_AI Move]. Pie In The Sky - it would be nice to have the function a bit more autonomous - ranging out in front and freezing when an enemy is detected - to report back. We definitely don't want to lose the existing [SOG_AI File] formation for getting out of Dodge. I know your options are limited by the buttons on the wheel interface.

As for additional keystrokes for any new functions - the actual keystrokes matter little to me - as I just set them up in VA.

If you ever need any help setting up VA - just holler - I'm pretty familiar with it and have used it on numerous applications for years. The built in Macro Language is pretty powerful and can do many things well - including actual Mouse Macros. I noticed on one of your videos you had a little trouble with the voice recognition - while it works surprisingly well - some words are easier to recognize - especially when you start speaking faster in the heat of battle - a little trial and error helps. I did so some of the training sessions to aid with the voice recognition.

I'll leave the videos to the more talented among us - a man needs to know his limitations.
😉

When coding - you might want to try opening a Chat GPT window - as an aid when needed. In addition - to understanding ArmA scripting - to a degree - you can do many things - like when working on a problematic piece of code - feed it your program and tell it to edit the script and print and log every variable value to the clipboard. If you have a large number of variables - it's pretty handy. The uses seem endless. YMMV.

Too funny - when I saw your "Burn this Hooch" video - I immediately thought of an old Oingo Boingo tune - "Only a Lad" (probably before your time - 80's)...

Your new theme song: 

Johnny was bad, even as a child everybody could tell
Everyone said, "If you don't get straight, you'll surely go to Hell!"
But Johnny didn't care
He was an outlaw by the time that he was ten years old
He didn't wanna do what he was told
Just a prankster - A juvenile gangster
His teachers didn't understand, they kicked him out of school
At a tender early age just because
He didn't want to learn things
Had other interests - He liked to burn things

Here's my updated VA functions - everything tested:

Link to Profile: https://mega.nz/file/g950nBzQ#FCC2UEoNNsocPY5i_Nm_Ba5Vu0Lp_WvZqTybMhvj9z4

Capture.jpg

Again - many thanks for all you do. 

Regards,
Scott

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2023 at 9:50 AM, scottb613 said:

As for additional keystrokes for any new functions - the actual keystrokes matter little to me - as I just set them up in VA.

Adding 3 options to Keystroke Menu turned out to be quite easy.  In next release hopefully out in next few days.

20230915115535-1.jpg

• Like 2

Hi JB,

Thank you kindly for the consideration. 

😉

Looking forward to testing it out.

Regards,
Scott

SOG AI just updated:

Release Includes
===============================
- Spearhead Flamethrowers set huts and units on fire (with varying animations)
- If WebKnight's Burn Em mod loaded--it's optional--then better burn reaction animations, screams and tank hit fx occur (highly recommended!!!!)
- Prairie Fire armored vehicles armed with flamethrowers will also set huts and units on fire
- If Spearhead DLC present while playing Prairie Fire missions, player has option to equip himself and his AI with a flamethrower.  Also, a few enemy VC squads will be randomly assigned flamethrowers (this will occur in any mission, including PF campaign, Workshop missions and editor missions).
- Added 3 Actions to Numeric Menu for better Voice Attack immersion (Tailgunner Put Mine, Burn that Hut, All Heal Yourself)
- Improved responsiveness of AI team moving and leapfrogging under fire.
- Fixed bug where occasionally assigned medic would spin in place.
- Fixed bug where occasionally assigned medic would crawl backwards away from downed unit instead of healing him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool videos but I especially like the setup of that last one -AI burning out your squaddies..must explode them !!

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Cool videos but I especially like the setup of that last one -AI burning out your squaddies..must explode them !!

Hi Folks,

Reminiscent of “A Fistful of Dollars”…

I’ll give this a shot when I get some computer time.

Regards,

Scott

26 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Reminiscent of “A Fistful of Dollars”…

I’ll give this a shot when I get some computer time.

Right on, I love the Sergio Leone westerns.  The man was a genius.

Let me know if you notice an improvement in AI ability to move under fire (Move There, Lay Dog, & Leapfrog). I did some major tinkering with that logic, and think I've significantly reduced occurrences of units preferring to stand and fight when ordered to move (it still happens though--but if one guy staying behind , issuing an individual "select unit +  move there" usually gets him going).  I'm so in the weeds on this, that I'm curious if fresh eyes of someone who frequently uses the mod notices an improvement.

• Like 1

Hi JB,

I’ll definitely give this a thorough workout and report back - looking forward to seeing what the boys can do. Might take a day or two. Appreciate all the hard work.

Regards,

Scott

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

I’ll definitely give this a thorough workout and report back - looking forward to seeing what the boys can do

Thanks.  Note: I don't want to set expectations too high on this.  If many enemies close, they still prefer to fight than run even though they've been commanded to move (my code is competing with the game engine AI logic here that I have no direct control over).  But compared to previous release, they should overall be more responsive to move orders.

• Like 1

Hi JB,

I’m a layman with coding - but before SOG AI - I had a discussion with the guy who made the “Go Go Go” scripts to make units drop what they were doing and follow their leaders out of combat - it seemed to work pretty well - perhaps that might provide some ideas?  I don’t know where the two of you fall with knowledge of coding - just that both are well beyond my meager means. I used it for years. He did post the contents of his code to help me out. I can look for the post if interested.

That said - I did find your previous [SOG_AI Follow Me and SOG_AI File Formation] or [SOG_AI Bound] pretty darn effective at disengaging…

Regards,

Scott

Hi JB,

Had a little time to mess with SOG_AI - look'n good - sir. I can't say I notice a significant change in the bounding attacks/retreats - but - I was a fan of the feature already. It's funny - I had loaded up the Flame Thrower Tank - for the very first time - days before your announcement and was disappointed it didn't really work. Much better now. One thing I did notice - is I don't see and can't use the "Tailgunner - plant a mine" via the "T" menu. I see it in your screenshot - but - not in my sim. The other two new options are present and work. 

👍👍

Regards,
Scott

2 hours ago, scottb613 said:

One thing I did notice - is I don't see and can't use the "Tailgunner - plant a mine" via the "T" menu. I see it in your screenshot - but - not in my sim. The other two new options are present and work. 

Thanks for the feedback.  Regarding Tailgunner option, it only appears when on a PF map, as some folks noted it didn't fit in other eras. Maybe I need to detect Unsung as well?  Or do you like it anytime, so maybe I should add a CBA option to always enable it?

The code:

// Only vietnam era missions should have tailgunner place mine option
if (toLower worldName in ["vn_the_bra","cam_lao_nam","vn_khe_sanh"]) then
{
	sogCommandMenu pushBackUnique 	["Tailgunner place mine", 		[20], "", -5, [["expression", "[20] call jboy_ExecSogCommMenuAction;"]], "1", "IsLeader", ""];
};

• Like 1

Hi JB,

Oh - OK - that's fine - not necessary. I was testing in Tanoa because it was a tad more open - so I could see what everyone was doing better.

I've also been testing combining some commands from VAN and SOG_AI - they seem to work quite well together.

With a single VA command - I set my "patrol" in vanilla as defined below - sets my patrol and positions my point man out front in stealth:

"Squad Stay Frosty"

TEST VAR [_scout]
Begin Integer Compare : [_scout] Has Not Been Set
    Play sound, '{VA_SOUNDS}\error_beep.wav'
    Exit Command
End Condition

SQUAD REGROUP
Press ` ~ key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.25 seconds
Press 1 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds

SQUAD FORM STAGGARD COLUMN
Pause 0.25 seconds
Press 8 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.25 seconds
Press 2 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.25 seconds

SQUAD MODE AWARE
Pause 0.25 seconds
Press 7 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.25 seconds
Press 3 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.25 seconds

SQUAD HOLD FIRE
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds

SCOUT SET STEALTH
Quick Input, '[F{INT:_scout}]'
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds

SCOUT ADVANCE
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds

Play sound, '{VA_SOUNDS}\confirmation_beep.wav'

I can easily transition back into SOG_AI as needed. One thing I did note is issuing "Follow Me" or a "Line" of "File" didn't seem to kick off the return to SOG_AI but a "Silence" did. Easy enough.

I run simpler compound commands with SOG_AI functions as well - such as this one to form a defensive line:

"Squad Defensive Line"

SOG SILENCE
Press T key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.175 seconds
Press 5 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Pause a variable number of seconds [_proTime]

SOG FORM LINE
Pause 0.175 seconds

Pause a variable number of seconds [_proTime]

SOG MOVE
Pause 0.175 seconds

Just an FYI - I did test SOG_AI with CWR3 - and it doesn't seem to work very well - even after ordering silence - my troops repeatedly fired first and didn't seem to use nades in the bounding attack - and they kept referring to the OPFOR as "Civilians". Just a point of interest - no action required.

ArmA - with your help - just keeps getting better and better. I'm really digg'n SOG_AI.

😉

Regards,
Scott

3 minutes ago, scottb613 said:

Just an FYI - I did test SOG_AI with CWR3 - and it doesn't seem to work very well - even after ordering silence - my troops repeatedly fired first and didn't seem to use nades in the bounding attack - and they kept referring to the OPFOR as "Civilians". Just a point of interest - no action required.

The way SOG Stealth works is that team holds fire until they perceive enemy knows about them.  They do not need enemy to fire on them.  So your team may fire first.  I built SOG AI with SOG Prairie Fire focus in mind, where you have a small team sneaking around where they are vastly outnumbered by enemy. I needed the team to react violently upon discovery to increase chance of survival and breaking contact. (I actually pitched the mod to Savage Game Design prior to publishing, but they weren't interested).  So its possible your troops firing is them sensing enemy knows about them and is about to fire.

It's also possible that CWR3 has scripts running affecting enemy and player squad AI.

The "OPFOR as "Civilians"" is weird, and I would guess also a CWR3 thing.  Perhaps their code starts with Civilian base units that they then gear up as soldiers.

• Like 1

Hi JB,

Man - Savage missed the boat - SOG_AI adds immensely to the SP experience - - - I think most of the Savage developers are hardcore MP's though.

😉

Regards,

Scott

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Hi JB,

Man - Savage missed the boat - SOG_AI adds immensely to the SP experience - - - I think most of the Savage developers are hardcore MP's though.

😉

Regards,

Scott

Much like the BI Devs -they under-value the original SinglePlayer fanbase

• Like 4

Hi Folks,

Man - good run last night with SOG_AI - across the Bra - OPFOR in hot pursuit the whole time - setting traps - forming defensive lines - firing - falling back on the run - calling artillery (Simplex) - WOW - great stuff. Using Drongo's "Infoshare" so the OPFOR was alerted once I was discovered - making it more difficult. I have SOG_AI set to allow one "revive" per unit. I used to use "C2" to command my squad but I think it just got too complicated - this is way better.

Again - not sure if anyone gets any use out of it but I'm constantly striving to improve my VA profile for SOG_AI. Using vanilla commands that work well to supplement SOG_AI - again - they seem to play very nicely together. I tested everything quite a bit. I'm pretty darn happy with how my troops perform. If anyone uses this and finds an issue - or - finds something that should be added - please let me know. I included my custom sound files - a discreet confirmation chirp - and a slightly less discreet error buzz. I find you really need to hear a confirmation of your order - or as the Navy likes to say: "if you don't get a proper repeat back - you didn't give an order". I also added the new "T Menu" options.

SOG_AI Voice Attack Profile - [Last Updated: 20SEP23 20:00Z]

https://mega.nz/file/M1A3BYIT#_mbyde3cH61iwUQ85ziO3Ma-KkppxphRSNFYKDtq0uc

JB - just a little bit of feedback - not sure if it's in the realm of possibilities - when ordering a Squad move in line formation - is there any way to improve ensuring the squad formation line is perpendicular to the lubber line of the player (direction player is facing) at the time the move order is issued?

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott

• Thanks 1

is there any way to improve ensuring the squad formation line is perpendicular to the lubber line of the player (direction player is facing) at the time the move order is issued?

I'll take a look at it.  I think right now on Leapfrog, the team's dir and formation orientation is driven by direction the team has to travel to reach first calculated bounding position.   This can result in first bound of each team having a formation orientation dir different than players, but second bound should be oriented as you expect, as he is now moving in direct line to to next bound position.  In Follow mode, it's just like vanilla, and team should orient to player's direction (vanilla AI is in control of movement and formation in Follow mode).

Using vanilla commands that work well to supplement SOG_AI - again - they seem to play very nicely together.

One caution here, is I've observed that if I use a vanilla move command on a unit, he goes where told, and then sometimes no longer responds to SOG move, leapfrog and regroup commands.  And the way to clear that condition is use a vanilla Return To Formation regroup command on the unit.  After that he resumes responding to SOG AI commands.  I don't know if this happens every time, but it has happened multiple times for me.

• Like 1

Hi JB,

Thanks for all.

I'll keep your input in mind. I don't think I use a vanilla "Move" command at all - fortunately - your SOG_AI Move is the one command that works by Squad, Team, or Unit. If I am doing a move - it's a SOG_AI move.

In addition to setting a vanilla patrol - staggard aware column - with a scout in stealth advanced out front - I've added a unit "with me" command that seems to work well. So - when you're broaching a hill with suspected OPFOR on the other side and you don't trust AI to do it alone - "Scout - with me" pulls the scout from the halted squad in aware diamond and we go on a little joint exploratory foray - to see what's on the other side. It's nice to have an added set of eyes and the extra firepower just in case. I have this setup for the sniper as well - as it would be much needed with that type of operation.

"Scout - with me"

TEST VAR [_scout]
Begin Integer Compare : [_scout] Has Not Been Set
    Play sound, '{VA_SOUNDS}\error_beep.wav'
    Exit Command
End Condition

VAN SCOUT REGROUP
Pause 0.175 seconds
Pause 0.175 seconds
Pause 0.175 seconds

VAN SCOUT AWARE
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds
Pause 0.25 seconds

VAN SCOUT DIAMOND
Pause 0.175 seconds
Press 8 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.175 seconds
Press 9 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Man - what a hoot - you're a breath of fresh air to this old sim.

Regards,
Scott