Chance536

I think I'm Heading towards disaster

So, me and a friend have started collaborating on making our own combination of liberation and direct action on the new map North Takistan for our small group. We've been hand placing civilians and units in editor. I just learned there's an ai limit and that I'm probably going to hit the 144 groups limit. I'm probably there with civilians I just haven't seen the effects yet. My question is will units deactivated by dynamic simulation be affected by this limit or will they be ok. Literally everything is set for dynamic simulation. If not does disabling all ai in a layer work to keep me from hitting the limit and just activating a layer as needed. If there's no way to have units placed in editor and not affecting the limit what are your suggestions moving forward? It would be super cool if there was a way to store and spawn a layer as needed but I'm sure that's asking a lot.

Group limit is since arma 3 1.68 288 per side.

You should have more problems with servers performance using so many ai.

There are dynamic spawning systems like jebus and you could use headless clients to get more performance. I recommend to use a headless client framework for setting this up in ur mission but idk the name of a usable one...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sarogahtyp said:

There are dynamic spawning systems like jebus and you could use headless clients to get more performance.

Or even the native dynamic simulation system.

I really like @engima's various spawning systems. They can be found here, though you do need to use TypeSQF to unpack them (it's simple): https://typesqf.azurewebsites.net/cpack

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Chance536 said:

My question is will units deactivated by dynamic simulation be affected by this limit or will they be ok. Literally everything is set for dynamic simulation. If not does disabling all ai in a layer work to keep me from hitting the limit and just activating a layer as needed. If there's no way to have units placed in editor and not affecting the limit what are your suggestions moving forward? It would be super cool if there was a way to store and spawn a layer as needed but I'm sure that's asking a lot.

BI Dynamic simulation is fine for edited or spawned units (but usually you spawn/despawn units along with players positions).

Units are resource consuming but you can also "load the bark" with all edited/spawned objects. Each time you can, use simple objects (without simulation like ladders/destruction...)

You can use getMissionLayerEntities (server only) if you want to enable sim or visibility on specific layer(s) during the game.

Personally, I'm not using layers (hard to randomize/repeat anything) but I created modules for spawning/despawning civilian life, car traffic, spawning conflict area with patrols, attacking groups and assets repeatable or not (not sure you can do that with layers) and so on...

• Like 2

I ended up switching to Engima’s civilian script for my civilians. I will say I’ve tried all kinds of mods for modules and none of them have come close to how good it is. The mission I’m going for is a liberation type mission with more interesting points and unique objectives so the layers have worked fine so far, and are within my skill to use. I just manually activate them to avoid bugs with points not activating. I did run into an issue with the layers only deactivating for me. Other players still see the units and hidden objects. Their ai is still disabled but their simulation and model are shown. I’m guessing the way I’ve done it is local only. I just put the hide layer in the init of a unit. I worked on researching this issue all night ended up making a second post for it.