Rod Peckerman

Armor showing but not helmets (Config problem?)

Sorry in advance if the answer is available somewhere, but I've scoured google and poured quite a few more hours into this than I'm proud to admit. I'm doing an OPTRE armor retexture for my little group and I've got the Armor all working finally (With proper textures, names, hidden selections for the vest items and all). Before I had the armor working the helmets showed up correctly and as they should, after today (had a call with someone who could help with the armor) the armor is finally working but the helmets have completely disappeared. I don't have any errors when I pack the pbo, launch the game, or anything like that. However the helmets don't show up in the arsenal, they don't show up when I reference them in scripting like "this add headgearItem 'c_helmet_snow'", but also don't show an error (which it would if it wasn't a valid classname.) When I DID do that though, it did at least show the collar to the helmet, but no error regarding the item, class, texture, or anything else that would cause it to be invisible.

The config is about 14500 lines long so I'll just post the short bit with the helmets. (90% is just the armor configurations.) This part is under CfgWeapons as well for clarification. Not sure why it's simultaneously working perfectly as a mod with no errors and not showing this code as well.

class C_beret_cornstar: H_Beret_Colonel		
		{
			author="Rod Peckerman";								
			scope=2;									
			scopeArsenal=2;
			displayName="Cornstars Beret";			
			model="\A3\Characters_F_epb\BLUFOR\headgear_beret02.p3d";
			hiddenSelectionsTextures[]=
			{
				"\cornstar_optre\Data\cornstar_beret_co.paa"			
			};
		};

class C_Helmet_Snow: OPTRE_UNSC_CH252_Helmet2_SNO
		{
			author="Rod Peckerman";
			scope=2;
			scopeArsenal=2;
			displayName="CH252 Helmet (Snow, Cornstars)";
			model="OPTRE_Units\Army\helmet.p3d";
			hiddenSelectionsTextures[] =
			{
				"cornstar_optre\Data\c_helmet_snow.paa"
			};
		};

class C_Helmet_Snow_RP: C_Helmet_Snow  //didn't work when I had the base set to OPTRE_UNSC_CH252_Helmet2_SNO either.
		{
			author="Rod Peckerman";
			scope=2;
			scopeArsenal=2;
			displayName="CH252 Helmet (Snow, Rod Peckerman)";
			model="OPTRE_Units\Army\helmet.p3d";
			{
				"cornstar_optre\Data\c_helmet_snow_rodpeckerman.paa"
			};
		};

Thank y'all in advance for your help. I'm absolutely stumped and I'm brand new to modding as of like 4 days ago.

Does the Beret work?

Its probably nothing and more of a formatting issue, but have you tried adding a '\' to the beginning of your paths for the model and hiddenSelectionTexture paths?

i.e.

model="\OPTRE_Units\Army\helmet.p3d";

and

{
	"\cornstar_optre\Data\c_helmet_snow_rodpeckerman.paa"
};

respectively. They're there for the Beret definitions so maybe worth a try?

And not to nit-pick, but not using the correct texture-naming conventions in conjunction with the correct texture type (in this case '_co' would suffice) makes me sad. When converting your texture make sure its named as 'c_helmet_snow_rodpeckerman_co.format' (where '.format is presumably .TGA or .PNG, if you say JPG I'll be even more sad). This will ensure when Image2PAA does its conversion business you get the correct filtering and (hopefully) don't lose any/much detailing etc.

The beret wasn't working either sadly. I put the exact same script (With name changes of course and different paths) in the first mod I made as a test and it worked like a charm.

8 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

if you say JPG I'll be even more sad

Oh don't worry about that. I'm starting off on .PNGs. I also renamed all the files under the conventions once I saw this. I also made sure of the \ behind all of the file paths this time. Still isn't working unfortunately. The weirdest thing about this for me is there's no errors, and the helmets aren't invisible, they're just not in the game at all. Here's some more of the code, maybe this will kind of give more context?

//////////////HELMETS//////////////
    class ItemCore;
	class HeadgearItem;
	class H_Beret_Colonel;
	class OPTRE_UNSC_CH252_Helmet2_SNO;

class C_beret_cornstar: H_Beret_Colonel		
		{
			author="Rod Peckerman";								
			scope=2;									
			scopeArsenal=2;
			displayName="Cornstars Beret";			
			model="\A3\Characters_F_epb\BLUFOR\headgear_beret02.p3d";
			hiddenSelectionsTextures[]=
			{
				"\cornstar_optre\Data\c_cornstar_beret_co.paa"			
			};
		};

class C_Helmet_Snow: OPTRE_UNSC_CH252_Helmet2_SNO
		{
			author="Rod Peckerman";
			scope=2;
			scopeArsenal=2;
			displayName="CH252 Helmet (Snow, Cornstars)";
			{
				"cornstar_optre\Data\c_helmet_snow.paa"
			};
		};

class C_Helmet_Snow_RP: OPTRE_UNSC_CH252_Helmet2_SNO
		{
			author="Rod Peckerman";
			scope=2;
			scopeArsenal=2;
			displayName="CH252 Helmet (Snow, Rod Peckerman)";
			{
				"\cornstar_optre\Data\c_helmet_snow_rodPeckerman_co.paa"
			};
		};

For further context, the code is 14916 lines long, this is right at the very end. I didn't include any units in this mod, just equipment.

Update: Helmets and armor are working now. I think it was a formatting issue but in an order sense. I simply copy pasted the helmet classes above where the helmet classes are and now it's working correctly. Every other config I've seen so far does the same so maybe that's the issue.

9 hours ago, Rod Peckerman said:

Update: Helmets and armor are working now. I think it was a formatting issue but in an order sense. I simply copy pasted the helmet classes above where the helmet classes are and now it's working correctly. Every other config I've seen so far does the same so maybe that's the issue.

Glad you got it working. ArmA and C++ are quirky at times, but the main thing is you got it working!

I just started having the exact same problem working on a similar project. Hate to bother, but could you elaborate a little more on the fix, I don't follow what you did?