Sign in to follow this  
dominic_crotty

Helicopter basic tips

Hi all,

Can people please reply with tips about how to use helicopters in the game? I am stuck on a few different misions because I can't destroy vehicles even with hellfires before a AA gun gets me. I am using ver1.46.

I know how to fly, go up/down/left/right etc. What I am looking for is tips on the best way to shoot enemy vehicles. Go into auto-hover or not etc? Sometimes I get a lock on a target (star-type target box) but when I fire the hellfire it overshoots the target. Do I have to also have the dot inside the box even if its a hellfire? What about FFAR?

Is there a way to play a campaign scenarion without completing the previous scenario?

Thanks.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dominic_crotty @ Feb. 09 2003,23:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I can't destroy vehicles even with hellfires before a AA gun gets me. I am using ver1.46.<span id='postcolor'>

You better get rid of the AAs first or stay at a distance from them when attacking other targets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What I am looking for is tips on the best way to shoot enemy vehicles. Go into auto-hover or not etc?<span id='postcolor'>

No! Best way to make yourself a sitting duck is auto hover. If it's safe to remain stationary and you know how to fly, tehn you don't need auto-hover anyway.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sometimes I get a lock on a target (star-type target box) but when I fire the hellfire it overshoots the target. Do I have to also have the dot inside the box even if its a hellfire? What about FFAR?<span id='postcolor'>

The closer to the dot, the better the guiding.

However, if the target is moving, just as with a rifle following a moving target, you should lead the target a little bit. That means you should recognize which direction the target is moving in.

Also, have a look at this thread regarding a mission's internal skill setting for vehicles, gunners, etc. This, too, can affect weapons accuracy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there a way to play a campaign scenarion without completing the previous scenario?<span id='postcolor'>

Search The FAQ for "sp cheats". You're interested in either the CAMPAIGN or the ENDMISSION cheat.

Practice a lot. Some people find it easier to use a joystick than the mouse, but I like the mouse.

Start off flying smaller helicopters and work your way up to the chinook. It's like flying a bathtub.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 10 2003,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Some people find it easier to use a joystick than the mouse, but I like the mouse.<span id='postcolor'>

I used to use mouse + keyboard, and I liked it. But I tried using keyboard only and got used to it quickly, and now I reckon it's alot better.

I NEVER drive or fly with the mouse in flashpoint.....

The keyboards really good

I drive with mouse though. And fly planes with keyboard + mouse. Just helicopters that I use keyboard only.

Hello

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> I am stuck on a few different misions because I can't destroy vehicles even with hellfires before a AA gun gets me. I am using ver1.46<span id='postcolor'>

First, play in Cadet difficulty to learn, when you will master the heli , try with Veteran difficulty

Take the example of the mission where you have to destroy a convoy with the AH64 (in the quick SP mission)

1st STEP

Jump aboard your AH64 , select Manual Fire (your AI gunner wait too long sometime the end of your order before firing, resulting in lot of misses)

Select the Hellfire missiles

2nd STEP

Fly to the enemy convoy rendezvous , then when you arrive near the convoy (red squares on your heli radar) , quickly press your TAB key to cycle between the different targets

You will see the name in red "SHILKA" but you cant see it at this distance (but the chopper radar can)

For security, launch 2 Hellfires by pressing your fire button on the mouse 2 times (something the IA gunner cant) , the 2 missiles will destroy easily this big threat even if one miss, the other will hit.

3rd STEP

Now lock another target with your TAB key , near you (the T72 by example at this time)

Then as you will see , firing Hellfire at close quarter is near to  hopeless , the missile will miss +/- every time (unless your are very very very close wink.gif and pointing the nose of your chopper to it

As i tested , Hellfire is deadly at very long range (every time you will launch this mission, target the far away Shilka with TAB key , fire an Hellfire , the Shilka will be destroyed 90% of the time)

The FFAR are much more interesting in Close Quarter , (remember to be in Manual Fire , you are better at firing missile that the AI Gunner)

Just point the nose of the AH64 (use the white dot) to the target, press fire 2-4 times : if the target is immobilized : BOOM

If the target is not very close , point the nose of your AH64 a little upper of the target then fire : BOOM too wink.gif

After some time , the enemy Hind will arrive , and now it is time learning to kill a superior enemy chopper (only in term of armor and number of weapon, you will find that the AH64 turn and move more quickly , giving you a big advantage)

4th STEP

When you detect the Mi24 with the TAB key, select to let the AI gunner fire himself , then switch to the 20mm gun and order him to fire (remember to have locked the Mi24 with the TAB key)

Why will you prefer to let the IA fire instead of manually fire for the chopper vs chopper fight ?

It is simply because you will quickly find that the AI Gunner is better with the 20mm Gun , because you will have to move a lot (never stay immobilized vs a Mi24 , it will end your fly) and, for your training , it is better if you concentrate on your moves

The best method to destroy this hind without being cut in piece , is to fly UP and DOWN (i dont know what key are by default , mine are different) and let your Gunner fire to it (the UP-DOWN method can be usefull versus Shilka too)

After some time , the Hind will fall, victim of the constant fire from your Gunner (always point the AH64 nose to the target , to help your Gunner accuracy, but never stop the Up Down fly )

A Hint

You will notice too that when the AI Gunner kills an infantry with the gun , and if you do not press your TAB key to choose another target , the IA Gunner will fire at every infantry left on the ground , even the one you cant see yourself (but do not fly too quickly there to give him time to kill)

Last Step

After that , finish quickly the convoy if something left (do not let something arrive to the city)

You will notice an enemy plane , you can try to destroy it (TAB key to lock it , then let the AI Gunner fire with the gun), but it is not a real threat.

I hope this will help you (personnally with keyboard+mouse , find chopper very easy to control)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (2stoned2kil| @ Feb. 11 2003,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehe , with the mouse i cant make loopings and turn-overs

in OFP ...<span id='postcolor'>

You're not supposed to make loops and rolls in a helicopter wow.gif

I've got no clue about helicopter aerodynamics, but I think the RAH-66 Commanche is the only one capable of doing that, plus one or two on the civilian market.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 10 2003,22:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (2stoned2kil| @ Feb. 11 2003,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehe , with the mouse i cant make loopings and turn-overs

I've got no clue about helicopter aerodynamics, but I think the RAH-66 Commanche is the only one capable of doing that, plus one or two on the civilian market.<span id='postcolor'>

I saw a lynx making a looping smile.gif

I've seen Apache's do loops too, and no doubt the Russians have a helo or two that is capable.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chronicles @ Feb. 10 2003,20:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You will notice an enemy plane , you can try to destroy it (TAB key to lock it , then let the AI Gunner fire with the gun), but it is not a real threat.<span id='postcolor'>

actually that SU-25 fired some rounds at me during that mission.

Funny though, i just hovered on a low altitude trying to avoid him then suddenly the SU-25 crashed against the hill. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Feb. 11 2003,16:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (2stoned2kil| @ Feb. 11 2003,00:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hehe , with the mouse i cant make loopings and turn-overs

I've got no clue about helicopter aerodynamics, but I think the RAH-66 Commanche is the only one capable of doing that, plus one or two on the civilian market.<span id='postcolor'>

The Gryphon can do it too.

Best way I've found to avoid AA is fly really high, like above 350m. They seem to have trouble with that wink.gif

Fire up one of the single missions, or make one yourself, in which there are helos.  Now practice for 30 mins flying at under 10ft, around trees, forests and other obstructions at 200+kt.

Then you'll be pretty proficient at flying nap of the earth, and that's all you need to do to defeat AA.  Pop up from a ridge, fire the hellfire, and then go back down. You can almost simulate popping up just enough for the longbow FCR to track things then firing from a masked position

Any fuel injected or turbine chopper (a carborator would cut out at a really bad time due to excess negative g's) can do flips/loops/rolls as long as the cyclic allows a negative pitch on the blades. Most civilian chopppers can't unless modified, although it isn't a difficult modification, mainly modifying the control linkages length, any civilian chopper pilot would be risking his life and certification doing this. An aircraft has to be certified to do aerobatic maneuvers. Most fixed wing civilian aircraft are just as capable uncertified at doing these maneuvers, but, due to insurance companies mainly, are simply not certified.

It's nice to know you have such knowledge of helicopter dynamics, but stay on topic! biggrin.gif

Ok.  Here is a "tip".  Take an AH-64 to 10000 feet or so.  Get up to max forward speed.  Maintain full forward cyclic and then dump the collective.  Once your on your back give it full collective while maintaining full forward cyclic.  If you get the timing right you can do a forward flip.  Once you complete the revolution pull back full on the cyclic and keep the collective pegged.  You should live.

Edit: You may have to "pump" the collective a little to get it to go over.

Just thought about this. A good helicopter training mission is 5Th Aviation by Cumboy. I Personlly thought it sucked, but I made some changes to it and now its alot more fun. But some people thought it was cool nomatter.

Yeah that's about right fizzy, you a heli pilot?

Lot's of helicopters can do that, as long as they have solid rotorheads and allow for a lot of movement in the rotors. The tail rotor can get in the way but usually doesn't.

I remember i was flying a simple training flight in a puma with some potential pilots in the back and we cam across a civvie hughes 500 who we started to chat to and this guy was a farmer or something and the cocky rich bastard starting doing all these rolls and stuff and if i didn't have anyone elses life in my hands i would have tried to do some as well, now i'm older and i think back i'm glad i didn't but ya know, it would have been cool if i could do some stuff.

if only i could afford a little hughes sad.gif

Is'nt the Hughes 500 the only chopper in the world that can fly inverted?

Or is there other choppers that can do it too?

About heli-acrobatics and OFP;

Unfortunately not much you can do as the flight-model is not complex enough confused.gif