razzored

Battleye mod/script blocking.

Hi so i run some servers for units, however due to some of the mods not being signed and not being able to be signed, (tried everything, also posted about it in these forums, some of the pbo's refuses to be signed for no apparent reason).
Does anyone know how to block

VAA and Personal arsenal using battleye?
I know someone has figured it out in the past, but no one has posted how anywhere?
I repeat, don't tell me to set verify signatures to 2.. im not asking how to block a unwanted mod, im specifically asking how to block a mod using battleye.

I have also sent messages to the creators of the mods and to one guy who claimed to have figured it out, if i do get reponse from them before here or at all, i will make sure to post the solution in this thread 🙂
Thanks in advance.

mod using battlEye ?

Do you mean server? where battlEye is mandatory or not.

If you want to block specific addons, I do something like the following in init.sqf or initPlayerLocal.sqf:

if(isClass(configFile>>"CfgPatches">>"ModMeNoLikey"))exitWith{endMission"END3"};

Replace "ModMeNoLikey" with the appropriate mod you want to block -- to find out the correct config, download that mod, load it up into Arma and go into CfgPatches via the Config Viewer in the editor/debug window. Then find the mod in that list; some mods, like CUP, have a bunch of CfgPathched. Just reference the main/core patch file and that'll do.

• Like 1

But what's to stop a determined individual from changing the mod's class? Or using one of the many other mods that do the same thing? Or using their own mod?

VerifySignatures or take the risk. BattlEye isn't required for verifySignatures to work AFAIK.

Can't remember if I've shared this before, but I put this together for similar issues in the past with my groups and the assortment of mods that are left unsigned by their creators. It follows similar principals to what @phronk mentioned. I know you aren't asking for this particular approach, but honestly, if you have any sort of say in the unit(s) you're running the server for, just tell anyone who tries to skate the system to screw off. This script includes checks for addons that are/were server intensive when used in a bigger multiplayer setting (Blastcore, etc.), but includes VAA and PA as well, use as you will. It essentially just boots them from the server. It could be changed to add server logs with GUID/name so you can blacklist those players as well, if that is a goal. 

//initPlayerLocal.sqf
[] spawn
{
    waitUntil {time > 3 && !isNull player && !isNull (findDisplay 46)};
    systemChat "Checking Addons...";

//list of full mod classes
    private _blacklist = 
    [
        "vaa_arsenal","LEA","PA_arsenal","Blastcore_Sun",
        "Blastcore_SmokeCS","WarFXPE","BlastcoreTracers",
        "BloodSplatter","L_ES","LOSounds2Music"
    ];

//list of partial mod classes when a mod has a lot of pbo's, but a normalized nominclature
    private _prefixes = ["DynaSound_","speedofsound_","DragonFyre_"];

private _classes = ("true" configClasses (configFile >> "CfgPatches")) apply {configName _x};
    private _badAddons = _classes select
    {
        _y = _x;
        _blacklist find _y > -1 ||
        _prefixes findIf {_x find _y > -1} > -1
    };
    if (count _badAddons > 0) then 
    {
        //add all bad addons detected into a string a report to the player
        private _kickString = ("Bad Addons Detected: " + (_badAddons joinString " - "));
        systemChat _kickString;
        hintC _kickString;
        //kick them out
        endMission "end2";
    }
    else
    {
        //otherwise, let them in
        systemChat "Addon Check Complete!";
    };
};

• Like 5

1 hour ago, phronk said:

VerifySignatures or take the risk. BattlEye isn't required for verifySignatures to work AFAIK.

Yeah, but for some reason OP isn't entertaining verifySignatures as an option. I don't get it, but that's their choice to make. Ah, well!

3 minutes ago, Harzach said:

Yeah, but for some reason OP isn't entertaining verifySignatures as an option. I don't get it, but that's their choice to make. Ah, well!

Because if a mod doesn't have a signature the server will read it as not apart of the deployed modpack, therefore, verifySignatures wouldn't allow some mods in, nullifying it's effect. Whether that mod is a personal arsenal (or other blacklisted thing) or a mod that he actually wants to run. I've also run into issues with "back" signing other mods that weren't signed originally.

8 minutes ago, jshock said:

Because if a mod doesn't have a signature the server will read it as not apart of the deployed modpack, therefore, verifySignatures wouldn't allow some mods in, nullifying it's effect. Whether that mod is a personal arsenal (or other blacklisted thing) or a mod that he actually wants to run. I've also run into issues with "back" signing other mods that weren't signed originally.

We're veering off-topic, but yeah, I get that part of it. I just don't understand subjecting oneself to the aggravation. This is all supposed to be fun.

No criticism of those who choose to do so.

Had to go away for a while, however @jshock offered a great solution which was easy to buildupon (adding more mods to blackslist and display messages ect).

The reason for being against verify signatures, is because we have a few mods which does NOT HAVE SIGNATURES.. i previously made a topic about being unable to sign them, to no avail.
essentially a few, perfectly working mods without any bugs or errors, but when trying to sign them, the bisign tool just crashes or fails.. cant remember which one.
Hence, being unable to sign mods and unable to reupload other authors mods with a signed version, this was the only other way i could come up with.
It can be hard to detect if a malicious community member is using those mods to cheat in secret, so this is the best way to rat them out and ban them from the community on the private servers that are unable to veryfy sigs.