pierremgi

show script error

Do something to avoid black box error messages when playing  

6 members have voted

1. 1. About these black boxes:

• Add a parameter in description.ext like showScriptErrors = 0
    • Do nothing. I like these black boxes even I can't do anything.
    • That should be automatic: show them in preview from editor. Don't show them when playing as scenario/campaign (elsewhere than preview)

Hi,
Probably already asked, but I didn't find this feature:

1 - could you fix the -showScriptErrors in launcher parameters. It's supposed to "show script errors on screen" if ticked. I definitely run Arma without this parameter, but the black box messages appears when a script throws an error.

Remark: these black boxes are useful for creators only. When you play a mission (SP or MP) you can't do anything anyway. It's just immersion killing!

2 - Could you add something like:  showScriptErrors = 0 (or 1 if enabled, default)  as command line in description.ext in order to override the _showScriptErrors (when supposed to work!) in order to avoid these messages.

Why? Just because params can throws some default value in case of bad usage (wrong type of variable) . So, instead of writing for all the holly cases a mission maker could use in your script(s), you offer a working param by default. No more black box for something finally working.

if the removing of black boxes (in case of default params) hurts you, I kindly invite you to have a look at all rpt files full of warning or error messages which don't bother the player(s).

Thanks.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware the parameter didn't work correctly, I always have it on. But I'd rather it work the way it's supposed to work now if that's the case.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 4:28 AM, pierremgi said:

but the black box messages appears when a script throws an error.

They are force enabled in editor.

Besides editor, I heard noone reporting your issues so far, or atleast.. all of them turned out to actually have the command line parameter set.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dedmen said:

They are force enabled in editor.

Besides editor, I heard noone reporting your issues so far, or atleast.. all of them turned out to actually have the command line parameter set.

Roger that:  force enabled in editor and chosen in launch parameters.

So the request is:

- add a command line in description.ext in order to force disabled (enabled) these messages.

Imho, that worth all other forced game parameters like view distance, stamina, difficulty....

At least, for the due scenario, the author can have a hand on what should be displayed or not, no matter the current choice of the gamers (who can't do anything but crying for killed immersion).

Thanks for your attention. Have fun!

Showing script errors to clients might still be important. At least the user then knows that something is wrong. Eg. your are trying to pick up an item with an addaction from the ground but the addaction code is faulty. The player will never now that he cant pick it up.

• Like 1