pierremgi

achievements vs performance

Hi,

Many authors are in quest of performance for Arma3, and some tools are already useful for that: garbage collector, dynamic simulation, simple objects...

I was asking myself is there could be a way to skip the code(s) scouting for achievements (104 of them at this time). I guess the global gameplay stats (useless imho), then the engine, is waiting for some "events" like: Safely ejected from any compatible jet using an ejection seat.

I'm aware of the added value for some personal challenge and the interest for some players trying to improve their own stats.

On the other hand, it's a waste of code, even at low level engine, event handlers or else, to say the truth, for most of the authors of scenarios.

So, the 2 cent question is: why not a launch and/or server parameter skipping all that hundred+ stuffs if this could improve, even slightly, the global performance?

Thanks

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pierremgi said:

stuffs if this could improve, even slightly, the global performance

The difference would barely be measurable. So why take the effort.

I think you can kill these scripts by yourself, I think I have seen them in the diag command listing scripts, so if you can find how these scripts are spawned (probably some preInit CfgFunctions) and if the script handle is stored in a variable, you can kill them with terminate.

The achievements are script commands that run from bi scripts, which are recognised by the engine as being initiated from official scripts and so they are allowed. As it is script based and what’s more official script based not sure how this would improve performance of non official content

18 minutes ago, killzone_kid said:

non official content

Why non official only? I'm just suggesting, the less scripts, the better performance. The way to do that is above my head (the reason for a suggestion). There are plenty of launch parameters (basic and advanced). Why not skipping these "event chasing"?
We are all in search of better performance with this engine. I'm not saying my suggestion is a proven way to obtain some tremendous gain. Perhaps some skilled dev could have a glance at it. Thanks anyway for your answer.

47 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

We are all in search of better performance with this engine.

48 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

Perhaps some skilled dev could have a glance at it.

Yes, and its especially important to concentrate the little time available by skilled devs, onto the things that really matter. (Like *cough* fixing the lag when opening or searching in zeus *cough*)

• Like 2