Sign in to follow this  
red oct

Anyone know the answer to this?

"D-Day is approaching. It's vitally important that the location of German troops and ammunitions dumps be communicated to the Allied Command in England. The French Resistance fighters must now be put to work. Rail lines and bridges need to be taken out, and the timing is critical.

Radio communication is too risky. Information must be exchanged in person. To that end, a small boat leaves England headed for the French coast. Two robust young men quietly work the oars. There's no moon this night, and the thick overcast is an unexpected yet welcome measure of security.

The third man in the boat is too old and feeble to be of much use rowing. He works the signal light as they near the shore. Three quick flashes follow by a pause, and then two flashes. His counterpart, a retired cavalryman, a veteran of the Great War, is hunkered down in the sand on the French coast.

He signals three quick flashes with his light, then the all clear to come ashore. The men quickly exchange documents and in an instant they're gone, the Frenchmen disappearing into the inky shadows. The three men in the boat swiftly and quietly row back to Mother England.

Now, here's the interesting part. The soldiers of the German shore patrol, and there were many of them -- each with the keen eyesight one would expect of young men -- didn't see them or their flashing signal lights.

The question is, why not? I'm going to give you a hint. It had to do with the old men."

i hate the questions i can't answer ....

i don't think anybody will ever discover the answer. its actually pretty weird.

nope, the answer involves something w/ the 2 old men. its in fact such a bazzar answer that i doubt anybody will get it.

Someone on another rowboat jingled his car keys in the air to distract the Germans. biggrin.gif

It's what I'd do. tounge.gif

heh, i think doing that will attract the unwanted attention of a 88 shell between the old mans teeth.

or the Old men yelled at eachother in German.

or... what could be described as "odd":

Telepathism??

Telekinetics?

ok, so this puzzle may be a tad too tough so heres another hint to give you mor of a idea, both the elderly English and French man had a disability, but under this unique circimstances it was really a very BIG advantange. also the light had something to do w/ it as well. thats the only other hint im giving.

one final note though, this puzzle is gona require you to do some research

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or the Old men yelled at eachother in German.

Edited by Necromancer- on Jan. 12 2003,00:51 <span id='postcolor'>

nope, they didn't say anything to each other it was only the light that they used to find each other, and even if they were to yell in German "HEY PIERRE! Ware the Bloody hell are you!" would probaly blow their cover and still bring apon the fury of a 88 into the old mans chops biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">or... what could be described as "odd":

Telepathism??

Telekinetics?

<span id='postcolor'>

no its nothing that odd, its odd but in a realistic manner

It obvioulsy has something to do with an eye condition when you get old.....

Or is it one of those bastard ones along the lines of 'They discovered how to see in the dark during their time in the trenches'. 'Cos if it is! crazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Jan. 12 2003,01:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It obvioulsy has something to do with an eye condition when you get old.....<span id='postcolor'>

YES! but how does this disadvantage become the advantage over the German shore patrols?

Well....if you get older..

Your eye will become more farsighted.... so your vision will be enhanced on objects at far distances, but decreases your vision for close objects. Thus needing reading spectacles.

And since the German patrol troops are very young... they dont have that advantage.

ok there are 3 facts form the answer so get your Sherlock Homes caps on and start smoking that silly pipe!

both the elderly british man in the row boat and the elderly french man on shore both seem to have a certian problem w/ their eyes

it was pitch black out, no moon. they used a light to locate each other to exchange doctuments and imeditly leave

now the question is, how did the many young Germans SP's w/ their keen eye sight, failed to see the light but the 2 old men had no problem?

They didnt! Once the men were spotted they put on their magic ring which instantly made them disappear.

biggrin.gif

Well the water could have reflected most of the light away from the sight of the Germans.

And the 2 old men were in closer range.

Unless you mean, German shore patrol.....as opposed to German shore patrol....... tounge.gif......i stick with my answer.....

It must be a very long row across the English Channel.

Did they shine the light in the air and bounce it off the low level of clouds?

Maybe old men are more sensitive to low levels of light?

i'm pretty sure those messengers saw this thread would be the one that warants getting locked since it is silly. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Old men have glasses. <span id='postcolor'>

So do I, I'm legally blind without them.

What's the point?

I think I got a good shot at it. They both have cataracts. When you have cataracts, little halos or circles appear around lights a little bit. So one man shined a tiny little light. This light had a circle around it, so three blinking circles showed the exact location of the man. The Germans either didn't see the tiny light, or couldn't find the source. The man could, because it made a circle around the light.