Sign in to follow this  
Hudson

F/a-18 c "fighting omars" public beta ready

And where exactly does the chaff come out? All I can find says its located on the lower surface. Wonder?

same place as the flare. . .

sten-f18flare.jpg

for the model's sake. .right in the middel (bottom) and remeber the chaff is nothing more then a buncha metal fragments. . so for the ingame "model" of it make it a puff of smoke. . .cuz thats basicly what it looks like. . and script it the same as the flare. .they both work the same (in game that is. . .the real chaff makes radar guided misels follow. .and the flare heat seeking missels)

The chaff/flare dispensers are located right in front of the rear landind gears

jacksonf18e.jpg

Wonder how does this look, heres what i have, in O2...

chaff.jpg

and ingame...

chaff2.jpg

Looks pretty cool!

One thing that I dont think anyone has mentioned is that the weapons loadouts are off a little bit. At least Im pretty sure. Im no expert or anything but everywhere Ive looked on the internet lists weapon loadouts as being a lot smaller.

Also, it seems like the Mk82s do more damage then the Paveways, which should be the other way around. It also seems like the Mk82s are more accurate even though they are technically unguided bombs. Maybe you got the configs for the two switched around?

Other than that and the other stuff mentioned, its an excellent beta and thanks for releasing it smile.gif

P.S. One more personal request, could you please separate them into 3 different pbos, once for each different texture?

Not bad! smile.gif

In real life i've only seen chaff on a radar screen, so I can't really tell what it should look like. The chaff cloud could be bigger tho... say about 4-5 times bigger? How is that going to effect the game speed?

well "wonder" what it has the same LOD as the flares. .so no lag shall occur. . unless u have a shity machine. . .or ALOT of addons. .like me biggrin.gif (937MB and still growing)

The chaff model is just 48 points and 24 faces, you could launch off a couple hundred (almost 4 planes worth) before it equaled as much lag as 1 of the hornets. Shouldnt be to bad system wise.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaztheducky @ Jan. 11 2003,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so after the chaff and flares are worked out there should be a new beta. correct? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No they will be in the final version. That is if you guys ever stop coming up with new additions for the plane biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hudson @ Jan. 11 2003,00:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chaztheducky @ Jan. 11 2003,00:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">so after the chaff and flares are worked out there should be a new beta. correct? confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

No they will be in the final version. That is if you guys ever stop coming up with new additions for the plane biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Man... that sounds like a challenge. wink.gif

I vote (again) for more weapon loadouts (Mavericks, Mk83 and Mk84 iron bombs).

I also vote (again) for a version that's got proxies for only one weapon system, but shows all kinds of weapon systems (AIM-9s on the wingtips, AMRAAMs on fuselage, weapon proxies on hard points) and actually carries a realistic loadout, as Hudson described earlier.

that will be done. Im also changing the grey textures to look like one of these...

greycamo.jpg

Except Im going to switch the planes logos on the tails and fuel tank with giant "clan" selections in O2, so in MP games your squad.xml info will be displayed instead of the planes logos

Thanks guys, and I didnt pay Hurricane (that much) to say that biggrin.gif

BlueFlight, Im actually searching for sounds right now smile.gif....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (~Too Tall~ @ Jan. 11 2003,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well "wonder" what it has the same LOD as the flares. .so no lag shall occur. . unless u have a shity machine. . .or ALOT of addons. .like me  biggrin.gif  (937MB  and still growing)<span id='postcolor'>

1.07G and that's only in the res\AddOns folder biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wonder @ Jan. 11 2003,16:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (~Too Tall~ @ Jan. 11 2003,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well "wonder" what it has the same LOD as the flares. .so no lag shall occur. . unless u have a shity machine. . .or ALOT of addons. .like me  biggrin.gif  (937MB  and still growing)<span id='postcolor'>

1.07G and that's only in the res\AddOns folder  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif YOU SUCK! lol pic.php?pict=5.gif

I would just like to point out that your hornet has more armor than the A-10.

It could really use some tweaking to make it better balance with the other stuff in the game and other peoples addons. For example, with your Hornet set on the lowest skill level, it was still able to find and hit a shilka hidden in a forrest (with the engine off and not shooting) and destroy it on the first pass over the forrest confused.gif

wow i wish my hornets would do that, they usually take 3 or 4 passes before they miss and take another few passes by which time they collide/crash/get shot down

but then the F/A-18 can take alot of punishment and still fly (i never said well, just that it could still fly)

(this isnt a dig at Hudsons work, im just pointing out that its not this "unbeatable plane" that Mr ThunderMakeR makes it out to be)

I hate it how easy it is to destroy an A-10 with a single strela. Even though missiles manage to hit the target it doesn't always destroy them. I think that in ofp missiles should explode IN THE PROXIMITY of the target, not on contact. That's why Kegetys' missiles (which i assume Hudson also used as AIM-9J's) keep missing its targets. Not even real missiles actually HIT the target. Anyway, my point is that if the missiles in ofp would detonate like 5 meters away, they'd be more accurate, but then again would not always destroy the target, which i think is realistic.

Oh, by the way! I found some flaws in some of the lower LOD's. The flaps seem to be attached to the airbrakes next to them and if you apply full flaps and airbrakes the whole wing looks twisted. Also, as someone in this thread mentioned earlier, there seems to be something extra below the plane, because i was enable to retract my landing gear and the plane still stayed about 2 meters off the ground. Also there seems to be something invisible sticking out of the canopy, because when i tried to place a hornet inside a hangar it flipped over when the canopy opened.

Any chance of getting a working HUD? I think Deadsoldier has some experience on HUDs. I also have some other ideas (mostly cool but useless) like Bitchin' Betty, working velocity vector on the HUD, ect. Not sure if they'd work tho.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr ThunderMakeR @ Jan. 12 2003,03:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I would just like to point out that your hornet has more armor than the A-10.

It could really use some tweaking to make it better balance with the other stuff in the game and other peoples addons.  For example, with your Hornet set on the lowest skill level, it was still able to find and hit a shilka hidden in a forrest (with the engine off and not shooting) and destroy it on the first pass over the forrest confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

good pilot. . .damn good pilot biggrin.gif . . .but uh. .just to let u know nothing is "hidden" in the forests. . .AI can se right thru that . .they see whats ont eh radar screen. .and that shilka was light up like a treee on xmas. . .so there for it was tkin out. .the pilot did his job. .so waht r u complaini n about?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wonder @ Jan. 12 2003,05:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also, as someone in this thread mentioned earlier, there seems to be something extra below the plane, because i was enable to retract my landing gear and the plane still stayed about 2 meters off the ground. Also there seems to be something invisible sticking out of the canopy, because when i tried to place a hornet inside a hangar it flipped over when the canopy opened.

Any chance of getting a working HUD? I think Deadsoldier has some experience on HUDs. I also have some other ideas (mostly cool but useless) like Bitchin' Betty, working velocity vector on the HUD, ect. Not sure if they'd work tho.<span id='postcolor'>

that 2m "invisable "thing" is really the gear. .the OFP gear is desgined to retract up. . thats it. .up and forward. .u want custom gear u have to make that barrier there for the plane to "land on" but only when the gear is down can u land on it.

and secondly deadsoldier doesnt have ANY experiance in huds. . tounge.gif his partner naa_us_marine the scripter and ccp file creator is the one who does that. dead soldier makes the model and does the textures. just thought i might correct u there smile.gif

Wonder and Too Tall, could you quit requesting things that you know nothing about? And everyone else while we are at it. I haven't gotten to whup up on Hudson online in quite some time, and he is always working on this plane, what about his poor daughter???