Sign in to follow this  
Major Fubar

. m270 mlrs (2 versions)

Actually the MLRS version in the download doesn't need the ADATS...only the other version TACAMS or whatever you call it. The MLRS however has some major problems.

The major problem is that it acts like a big AA system. They should have just called it a Patriot missile launcher or something. The missiles lock on to anything including aircraft.

It also is heavily armored and takes several hits from tanks. In real life, they are very lightly armored and even a 12.7mm machine gun would destroy them.

The other major problem is that you can't use them like artillery. At the very least they should have made it where the missiles don't lock on to targets until a few seconds after they launch. That way the missiles can fire up at an angle...as it is, if you fire them up at an angle when engaging a ground target, they smack into the ground. Instead the missiles kinda fire straight through the cab of the vehicle.

Personally what I wish they had done is to have made this with unguided rockets with limited fuel so that they would not travel across Nogova before they came down... kinda like the old versions of Quakergamer's M109 Paladin. If I remember correctly on that old Paladin the AI elevated the gun properly and was fairly accurate with it.

The trade off is that you don't have the long range that the MLRS is famous for. But you could have a volley fire of missiles simulated by a "burst" mode and if unguided rockets aren't possible, it could use "shells" but using a rocket object, a rocket sound, and lots of smoke. Either that or just missiles but without the ability for them to lock on to anything.

At any rate as it is, I would never use in in a mission.

But it's a good start and the cab of the vehicle is very cool and very amusing (I like the nintendo game pad the gunner uses). LOL!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles Teg @ Jan. 07 2003,13:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually the MLRS version in the download doesn't need the ADATS...only the other version TACAMS or whatever you call it.    The MLRS however has some major problems.  

The major problem is that it acts like a big AA system.  They should have just called it a Patriot missile launcher or something.  The missiles lock on to anything including aircraft.

It also is heavily armored and takes several hits from tanks.  In real life, they are very lightly armored and even a 12.7mm machine gun would destroy them.  

The other major problem is that you can't use them like artillery.   At the very least they should have made it where the missiles don't lock on to targets until a few seconds after they launch.  That way the missiles can fire up at an angle...as it is, if you fire them up at an angle when engaging a ground target, they smack into the ground.  Instead the missiles kinda fire straight through the cab of the vehicle.  

Personally what I wish they had done is to have made this with unguided rockets with limited fuel so that they would not travel across Nogova before they came down... kinda like the old versions of Quakergamer's M109 Paladin.  If I remember correctly on that old Paladin the AI elevated the gun properly and was fairly accurate with it.  

The trade off is that you don't have the long range that the MLRS is famous for.   But you could have a volley fire of missiles simulated by a "burst" mode and if unguided rockets aren't possible, it could use "shells" but using a rocket object, a rocket sound, and lots of smoke. Either that or just missiles but without the ability for them to lock on to anything.  

At any rate as it is, I would never use in in a mission.

But it's a good start and the cab of the vehicle is very cool and very amusing (I like the nintendo game pad the gunner uses).  LOL!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD><span id='postcolor'>

For OPGWC MLRS we will amke it like artillery and it will (when the missile hits something) create multiple explosions to simulate the real MLRS.

I'll download this MLRS when I come back and post my comments here, from the pics it looks pretty good!

Ever actually seen one of these bad boys fire??? I have, I went to basic at Ft Sill, home of Artillary.. wanna talk about SWEET. It was the coolest thing...as for what it looks like in the game, dont know,the link is broken for me, ill try agian in a minute...but from what I saw of it at Sill, it was mainley just artillary, not AA...

It's quite the AA vehicle, it locked onto my Mig as I was flying ovehead and just about got me(I wasnt expecting that).

The textures are rather alpha looking but thats fixable.

It's not a bad unit but it needs work.

Could the unit be remade so it would be a western counterpart to the scud.

It would more accurately simulate its tactical mission - long strikes for high value targets. Then the mission makers could just use one of the scripts that are made for the Scud.

you guys are kinda forgeting the meaning of the vehicle. let me explain something....MLRS stands fo Multi-Launch Rocket System...meaning that it fires many(not one big one)rockets. I was told by one of my Sgt's today that each rocket has like grenades in them.... So no, it is NOT AA in anyway, it is used to take out ground targets, infact, it can take out a WHOLE grid square!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you guys are kinda forgeting the meaning of the vehicle. let me explain something....MLRS stands fo Multi-Launch Rocket System...meaning that it fires many(not one big one)rockets.<span id='postcolor'>

Very kind of you to explain that to us, but do you not think that you are forgetting the ATCMS system

97atacms.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GrimmDraco @ Jan. 07 2003,19:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">you guys are kinda forgeting the meaning of the vehicle. let me explain something....MLRS stands fo Multi-Launch Rocket System...meaning that it fires many(not one big one)rockets. I was told by one of my Sgt's today that each rocket has like grenades in them.... So no, it is NOT AA in anyway, it is used to take out ground targets, infact, it can take out a WHOLE grid square!<span id='postcolor'>

Yup. From what Quakergamer says, his MLRS will act more like the real thing... at least I hope so. But you know I just thought about something.... I wonder if it would be possible to have a script that adjusts the velocity of the rockets. Check this out. The MLRS would have two animations for the turret... a down position (transport position) and an "up" firing position. Of coarse the turret would also rotate...but here's the interesting part.... in the "up" position it would NOT go up and down. It would be fixed in one place... however with version 1.90 of OFP, I'm wondering if it might be possible to write a configuration in the .cpp where different distances could be called on the action menu which in turn would give the ammo different velocities. So for example, for 300 meters, with some experimenting, different ammo velocities could be tested on a flat area (like the main Nogova runway) until the right velocity is found that hits one of your AI team mates 300 meters out. Make that ammo a command in the "action" menu. Then do the same for perhaps every 100 or 200 meters... out to as far as you want (or as far as you can put ammo distance settings on the action menu). The distances do not have to be precise as MLRS rockets are not known for their precision accuracy. As long as it's close to those distances then it should be fine. Some very slight random variations in velocities would very cool also, but would require some really hardcore .cpp scripting.

An alternative is to have different animation settings where each animation positions the launcher at a different angle. This however I think would be much more difficult to test properly as there is no angle of fire reference point. But perhaps with a LOT of patience it could be done. Either way would require a tremendous amount of patience.

Another important aspect of a MLRS is the ability for it to do "Volley Fire". By that I mean that it should be able to launch rockets in bursts of rockets so that an area is saturated with rockets. So there should be a single shot mode so that another human player can see where it hits and then give orders on where to adjust fire. Then after this is accomplished the MLRS gunner could switch to "volley" mode and fire groups of rockets until his rockets are depleted. A ammo truck can follow the MLRS to simulate reloading the MLRS.

The bomblets could be simulated by Quakergamer's excellent idea of multiple explosions with each hit assuming this is possible.

I believe that if the above idea is possible it would in fact create a very workable artillery simulation especially if you had the actual distances for each grid and a printout of the map if you wanted to get real hardcore.

If not, in cadet mode, the MLRS gunner would need to be a group leader that could send out either an AI (forward observer) or a human player (in MP games)

For those who don't want to simulate real artillery a version of the MLRS could be kept with the guided missiles for those who just want to blow stuff up and they don't care how it's done.... or it could just fire unguided missiles like a tank but with missiles.

At any rate my main point is that indirect fire is impossible for guided missiles as far as I can tell. I think that the method I outlined above has the potential of working very well if it's possible to script ammo in such a manner and if the addon maker is willing to do a lot of trial and error testing.

If anyone sucessfully makes this idea work (or something similar) it could also be used for other long range artillery pieces.

Perhaps a small scale version could first be tested using a mortar addon? Just a thought.

Anyways I hope that gets some creative juices going.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Miles Tag, we are working on thsi kind of script and it will be quite nice. I am also working on a way to modify the smoke when fired so it looks like the real thing.

One more thing about the MLRS avaible here; Why is the driver on the right when its supposed to be on the left, I saw those in real life and I also have pics , driver = on left tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (quakergamer @ Jan. 08 2003,00:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Miles Tag, we are working on thsi kind of script and it will be quite nice. I am also working on a way to modify the smoke when fired so it looks like the real thing.

One more thing about the MLRS avaible here; Why is the driver on the right when its supposed to be on the left, I saw those in real life and I also have pics , driver = on left tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Wow! That's very cool!!! I wish you much luck on getting the artillery system to work well!!! If you do it will be a big break-through in the game!!!

But yeah you are right about the driver. I didn't really notice that until you pointed it out. Oh well... maybe it was a Brit that made the addon? smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I've noticed that RPGs and tank shots tend to go through the MLRS, but not the TACAMS. confused.gif

Has anybody thought about using the LGB system in their addons lately?  Like giving the forward observer some sort of lasing system, then having the MRLS rockets only able to lock onto the "target" like the in the A10.  It would be a sacrifice in realism but may provide a good means of targeting at distances past 3km...

I mean, the laser system could just be a modified pair of binoculars, wouldn't even need to use a new model...

Holy shit this is a great addon.

Stop reading this freaking thread and go download it.

crazy.gifcrazy.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rufusmac @ Jan. 09 2003,03:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Has anybody thought about using the LGB system in their addons lately?  Like giving the forward observer some sort of lasing system, then having the MRLS rockets only able to lock onto the "target" like the in the A10.  It would be a sacrifice in realism but may provide a good means of targeting at distances past 3km...

I mean, the laser system could just be a modified pair of binoculars, wouldn't even need to use a new model...<span id='postcolor'>

I already tried designating targets with a laser designator soldier grouped with some of the MLRS tanks. The commander of the MLRS will order the gunner to attack "laser target". However he will not fire until the target is within line-of-sight. sad.gif

So unfortunately using this method does not make indirect fire possible. sad.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>