maxl30

What i expect from "Old Man"

No expectations. Just some hopes. The title suggest, there will be a piece story told, probably of "personal" tone (about someone, not something), which is great, especially, if told well. "Open-world scenario" speaks for itself, which is great too, especially IMO Arma has obvious, but still untapped potential here and inclination towards that kind of gameplay - why to ignore or fight with it, when one can wisely use it. If both, good plot with good narration and open gameplay, can be successfully combined together, that would be great^2. Lastly, "Singleplayer" is for me, 100% lone wolf, another good news.

• Like 4

On 3/7/2019 at 1:53 PM, Rydygier said:

The title suggest, there will be a piece story told, probably of "personal" tone (about someone, not something), which is great, especially, if told well.

If so maybe it's about an old man returning to former battle locations to maybe do a little soul searching or just to remember the fallen. He has these little interactive flash backs of that one time on patrol, that one time his convoy got ambushed or maybe he's just patrolling with his buddies and no combat happens now that would be cool.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, B_Fox said:

he's just patrolling with his buddies and no combat happens now that would be cool.

I can make this mission for you. How many buddies do you want? 😉

Imo, for an open world, persistence and making your own story is important. If things don't interact or influence it's not an open *world*, it will be more like an interactive mission launcher.

One example that I use in my missions to give it a 'open world feel' is enemy helicopter reinforcements. In this mission type you get a number of destroy objectives/ locations. One or more of these locations is also preselected (not known to you) for enemy helo reinforcements so that as soon as you show up, a helo with infantry is dispatched to the location. If you hit the selected location(s) early it will give an emergent story of 'they are reacting immediately'. If you hit the selected location last it will seem 'they are fed up' with your agressions and finally are doing something about it.

With multiple helicopters you can get this scenario multiple times or even multiple helo's sent to one location in which they will manage to basically reclaim the objective. Finally, the most important aspect: the helo's are not virtual, they are sitting somewhere at an airfield with the infantry guarding them. If you manage to discover them (by intel or recon) and destroy them at the airfield, you are free from their harassment for the rest of the mission.

Personally I really like this type of emergent story bits and the persistence of assets, that you can interact with in at different times and in different ways. I hope an official open world scenario of Arma would have these things. 

• Like 2