Infantry movement in arma3 is beyond Olympic athlete speeds. It is very sped up. Especially when crouch running.

This is no doubt done to make traversing the huge terrain less slow and tedious. This mod simply tries to remedy that.

Now using cover and transport is much more important than running everywhere at full speed like a blue-arsed fly.

Being caught in a bad position needs more than just a quick sprint to safety. And losing your transport in the middle of nowhere is a real inconvenience.

Also important to me was making some difference in speed between crouched and standing movement.

Have also added an in-house check to make you slow down a little more indoors to stop hurtling at full speed in a space where we naturally adjust our speed to our confines.

There might be a second delay for this to kick in depending on how many units are on the map. This is to try and not impact performance and will be adjusted later on if needed.

Also added a very simply weight system where the heavier you are the (slightly) slower you run. Now packing light has real benefits.

Most people wont like this and will prefer the arcade fast paced run speed. This is for the few that can appreciate the difference a more human-limited speed brings.

Bug - while going prone the actual dropping down animation is slowed down as well.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1544134682

only needed on server if running a server. Otherwise run it on your own pc for your own missions.

• Like 5

Like the concept and can't wait to see how it works in a mission I am building.

Is there a way to adjust based on different players in the mission? Say an SF team would conceivably have a higher conditioning value than the group of insurgents they are working with and therefore be able to move at a slightly higher rate of movement than the insurgents.

11 hours ago, Nichols said:

Like the concept and can't wait to see how it works in a mission I am building.

Is there a way to adjust based on different players in the mission? Say an SF team would conceivably have a higher conditioning value than the group of insurgents they are working with and therefore be able to move at a slightly higher rate of movement than the insurgents.

yes that would be quite easy to do. Simply change the speed modifier according to rank. This is a super simple script so modding it is easy. I'll do it sometime in the next day or so.

edit  - actually rank wouldn't be good. I'll come up with another option that lets you as a mission maker specify fitness level for units while still keeping it at non-arcade speed levels.

• Like 1

added levels of fitness for mission editors to be able to set different physical conditioning speed levels for elite units versus normal units. So elite units like SF move faster without hitting arcade levels again.

in mission editor put the following in units init field:
this setvariable ["_tws_customFitnessLevel",2,true];

Levels are from 0 (no change) to 3 (elite level fitness speed). You can use 99 and 666 for debugging to check that speed change is working for your units.

also note that swimming is a little faster than default because ironically that is the one thing they got way too slow.

edit - upload went through so it should work fine now.

• Like 1

In IRL you CAN sprint very fast for some time even when crouched, especially if your life is on the desk..
What you cannot do is rest a little and sprint with the same speeds again.
So it's a little early to talk about "arcade gameplay" and "most people". Weight affecting the speed is a good solution though. Crouch shall make you exhaust faster with little to no effect on runspeed.
Animation of running with a gun in hands is quite slow already. The only thing that may feel "too fast" is when you holster gun and sprint fully equipped like you got nothing.

Writing that here only because: if you feel for realism and speculate about other people prefering "arcade", then you have to actually make something better. In a current state - it's not, and it's not more realsim in any ways than vanilla solution.
Wish you good luck in getting it to realsim state, that's where "most players" may actually like it.

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:49 PM, twisted said:

added levels of fitness for mission editors to be able to set different physical conditioning speed levels for elite units versus normal units. So elite units like SF move faster without hitting arcade levels again.

in mission editor use:
this setvariable ["_tws_customFitnessLevel",2,true];

Levels are from 0 (no change) to 3 (elite level fitness speed). You can use 99 and 666 for debugging to check that speed change is working for your units.

also note that swimming is a little faster than default because ironically that is the one thing they got way too slow.

edit - upload went through so it should work fine now.

I am guessing as a mission maker we need to put that in the unit's init field?

On 10/30/2018 at 8:01 AM, Nichols said:

I am guessing as a mission maker we need to put that in the unit's init field?

yes. I really could have been more specific.

I think movement should not be AS slow as it is now, it looks weird and slow motion...some of it should be slowed down like crouching movement and crouching sprint.... and overally it should be even more clearly dependent on gear weight. The idea is brilliant however, as the infantry pace is comical in ArmA....

On 11/1/2018 at 2:39 AM, bakimaster91 said:

I think movement should not be AS slow as it is now, it looks weird and slow motion...some of it should be slowed down like crouching movement and crouching sprint.... and overally it should be even more clearly dependent on gear weight. The idea is brilliant however, as the infantry pace is comical in ArmA....

the slowed down movement is an side effect of the animation system BIS have chosen.

But the pace feels natural to me as opposed to the overly fast pace that arma3 uses, but thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to be able to isolate the sprint speed for more changes but no idea how to tell when the player is sprinting or not.