Sign in to follow this  
FSPilot

Military flight sims

My all time favourites are Falcon 4, Flanker, F-22 TAW and Secret Weapons Of The Luftwaffe.

I wish I had time to get back into Falcon 4.0 sad.gif

But to do that I need at least 2hrs daily...which I don't have sad.gif

Yes, Microsprose were bought by Hasbro, who raped and plundered everything that was good in that team.

When they fired everyone, a disgruntled employee released the source code onto the net, and that resulted in Superpak 3. Hooray!

There will be a Falcon V, which will feature most of the features from SP3. It is supposed to focus on two aircraft, the F-16 (Of course), and the F-15.

As for B-17 2. Talks are under way for a group of players to buy up the code for it. Then are then going to finish the multiplayer code. (It's in there, but was never finished)

Microprose were a great company, and I'll never forgive those ratbastards at Hasbro for what they did.

Falcon 4 - Rushed out - Bugged

Gunship 3 - Rushed out - Game wasn't finished

M1 Tank Platoon 3 - Cancelled - 'Due to poor sales of Gunship 3'

B17 2 - Rushed out - Many features missing

Then they fired everyone...

Gits!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (B@ZOOkA @ Dec. 22 2002,23:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">in the future there could eb a compititor for il2.... its called lock on and looks very promising... but it will take some time until its release<span id='postcolor'>

I persoanlly wouldnt compare a modern day flight sim with a WW2 flight sim. Anyway, both Lock On, IL2 and Forgotten Battles are all published/going to be published by Ubisoft so from the companies point of view, the diffrent games are not really compitition.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 22 2002,07:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

I wish someone would make a WW I flight sim as engaging and enjoyable as the original Red Baron.  Perhaps on an engine like IL-2!

<span id='postcolor'>

Check out:

http://www.wingswithwires.com/

Join the forum and lead the developers in the right direction! smile.gif

Also Red Baron 3D is quite updated with mods. And there are some other games that feature WW1 sims like (I think it was) Fighter Squadron...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Dec. 22 2002,08:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 22 2002,07:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I remember playing a game called "aces of the sky" or something like that. I think it had a dynamic campaign. Standard pre-win 95 graphics, didn't get very popular. It was out at about the same time Red Baron was I think.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah i vaguely remember that. then there was a sequel called 'aces of the pacific' if i remember correctly.<span id='postcolor'>

And after that came Aces Over Europe, which I had for years. That game was truly awesome for it's time. You could fly for the USAF, Luftwaffe, or as a pilot from one of a number of British colonies . I think it was the first sim I ever played where engine overheating was modeled. I found that out the hard way sad.gif. You would also be informed if you shot down any enemy aces during a mission which I found pretty cool

But the USAF never fought the Luftwaffe! tounge.gif

Sounds like a cool game for it's time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ Dec. 22 2002,22:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There will be a Falcon V, which will feature most of the features from SP3. It is supposed to focus on two aircraft, the F-16 (Of course), and the F-15.<span id='postcolor'>

Ugh, barf. I can't stand the F-15. Why would the implement it in a game called "falcon"? mad.gif

And what happened to implementing a 2-seater falcon? That would RULE! bah.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 23 2002,03:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But the USAF never fought the Luftwaffe! tounge.gif

Sounds like a cool game for it's time.<span id='postcolor'>

Then whatever you Yanks called it when you had the P-51 and P-47's in England tounge.gif. I've always been more interesed in the Eastern front airwar, one of the reasons I'm such an Il-2 fanatic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 23 2002,10:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Then whatever you Yanks called it when you had the P-51 and P-47's in England tounge.gif. I've always been more interesed in the Eastern front airwar, one of the reasons I'm such an Il-2 fanatic.<span id='postcolor'>

AAC, Army Air Corps. USAF wasn't founded until 1947 I believe.

biggrin.gif

What would I do without you, tovarish.

Hmm, are flight sims hard to learn?  I remember someone giving me one when I was like 10.  I couln't figure out how to install it.  So I got one of my uncles to do it for me, but then I couln't figure out all the controles and all the buttons.  But then again, I could never start the game.

And then there was the manual which was really thick and full of complicated technical stuff that I had no clue as to what they meant.

I dunno, I always imagined that it would take months of practice to learn to play.  In a way to simulate real life.

I'm thinking of buying one, but I've never played one before.

I dunno Icefire, i guess you can compare it to the normal flight sims.

There are some people who do everything correct, they push the right buttons, use their flaps, they have radio contact, they push even more buttons while flying, they pull things when they're gonna land, etc etc.

They do it, the real way, like it's supposed to be...

Then there are the people like me, i put the engine on, i start flying, and when i land, i put the engine off.

Those are the only things that i do during the whole flight, engine on and off. And i can fly the plane without any trouble, landing is a bit harder but it isn't impossible.

See? Everyone can play flight sims... Just don't read the fucking instructions, you don't need all those stupid buttons!

Do it your own way, just like me, and you will ruuuuule the skies!

Cool. So can you name any good ones for me to get?

Nothing too fancy. I don't want to fly around water dumping choppers putting out forest fires or anything.

I like Apache helicopters though. I think they're cool. Or just some good jet fighter sim.

Since I have never played one before, I don't know how to rate them, so my first priority would be for it to have excellent graphics.

wow.gif6--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 23 2002,06wow.gif6)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 23 2002,10wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Then whatever you Yanks called it when you had the P-51 and P-47's in England <!--emo&tounge.gif. I've always been more interesed in the Eastern front airwar, one of the reasons I'm such an Il-2 fanatic.<span id='postcolor'>

AAC, Army Air Corps.  USAF wasn't founded until 1947 I believe.

biggrin.gif

What would I do without you, tovarish.<span id='postcolor'>

form 1926 to '41, us air forces were called USAAC (us army air corps), from '41 to '47 they were called USAAF (us army air force) and from '47 on there was the USAF... just to end that discussion xmas.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Cool. So can you name any good ones for me to get?<span id='postcolor'>

I suggest you get Microsoft Flight Simulator 2002. I liked it a lot, it was the first time I really got into simulations. It has some nice features like a take-off and landing checklists which enable new players to remember things that have to be done. It has pretty nice graphics and you can find a lot of additional airplanes and scenery on the Internet.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 23 2002,08:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Dec. 22 2002,08:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 22 2002,07:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I remember playing a game called "aces of the sky" or something like that. I think it had a dynamic campaign. Standard pre-win 95 graphics, didn't get very popular. It was out at about the same time Red Baron was I think.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah i vaguely remember that. then there was a sequel called 'aces of the pacific' if i remember correctly.<span id='postcolor'>

And after that came Aces Over Europe, which I had for years. That game was truly awesome for it's time. You could fly for the USAF, Luftwaffe, or as a pilot from one of a number of British colonies . I think it was the first sim I ever played where engine overheating was modeled. I found that out the hard way sad.gif. You would also be informed if you shot down any enemy aces during a mission which I found pretty cool<span id='postcolor'>

Ah the memories - i have the version that came with Aces of Europe, Aces over the Pacific, A-10 Tank Killer and Red Baron - all of which were completely addictive...

Jane's USAF was one of my favourite flight sims until I lost the first CD mad.gif Loved US Navy Fighters / ATF / Fighter's Anthology as well - played them non-stop in high school smile.gif

Someone mentioned DiD's EF2000 - a truly awesome game. For some reason it was really immersive...felt like you were really a British fighter pilot in a shooting war with the Russians over Norway. Maybe it was the British accents.....geez that was a good game...

Oh and how could I forget Chuck Yeager's Air Combat...absolutely criminal graphics by today's standards, but a wonderful game nonetheless smile.gif

Is there any game that can support as many planes on the screen as European Air War? I have some of the newer better looking ones but I still go back to EAW just to see somthing like 250 planes on the screen at the same time. I hate the other ones like Jane's and what not where an entire bomber squdron is about 12 planes while EAW has 39, and I think I've seen as high as 42.

I loved U.S. Navy, still have the copy of it I think.

Just loved it. biggrin.gif

Way back in High School I co-founded a MiG-29 squad "Fulcrum" (Flying on Novalogic's Integrated Battle Space). and I flew with the callsign "Cotorro"

sqadba2.jpg

Old Fulcrum website

The realism  of the Novalogic sims was questionable (The F-16 had better low-speed handling than the MiG, The F-22 flew like a 747 - quite funny since all the newbies would fly the F-22 expecting an uberplane and not realizing they had chosen a flying coffin), but the multiplayer was very well done and being able to participate in massive online air battles made up for what flaws the game had. After I started college Real Life caught up to me and I had to leave the squad sad.gif.

But a week ago I ran into a few of my old mates in an online Il-2 game, still in Fulcrum colors but now flying Yaks smile.gif. Last night I was up till close to midnight flying with them using Roger Wilco for voice communication. It really dosen't get much better than having a real person telling you that someone is maneuvering around to your six or asking for cover as he runs low on ammo and heads for home.

speaking of A10, i just realized that i have that old A10 from Sierra(the second version) biggrin.gif it ran on windows 95 on my old machine, but somehow fails to do so on my new one....ahh the good days...

I LOVE the A-10. I can't wait for LOMAC to come out so I can do some strafing with that gattling gun. mmm...

I know how you feel Tovarish. I just signed up with an F4 squad and passed their checkride (w00t). Once I get my f*ing router fixed I'll be able to fly online with them. There's nothing like flying online with real people and real voice comms. At least on the computer. biggrin.gif

i can't wait for lomac to come out so that there's a modern day combat flight sim i can actually find and purchase. the only one released in the past five or six years i've ever seen in ireland is f/a-18e. anyone who knows where i could find me a copy of falcon 4 would be the beneficiary of my eternal goodwill. and i might even give ya a cookie...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (supersheep @ Dec. 25 2002,23:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">anyone who knows where i could find me a copy of falcon 4 would be the beneficiary of my eternal goodwill.<span id='postcolor'>

Same here (in Ontario if you please). I was in love with falcon 3.0, but by the time I bought myself something better than a 486 i just couldn't find falcon 4 in stores anymore.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Dec. 26 2002,00:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wow.gif0--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (supersheep @ Dec. 25 2002,23wow.gif0)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">anyone who knows where i could find me a copy of falcon 4 would be the beneficiary of my eternal goodwill.<span id='postcolor'>

Same here (in Ontario if you please). I was in love with falcon 3.0, but by the time I bought myself something better than a 486 i just couldn't find falcon 4 in stores anymore.<span id='postcolor'>

Try Office Depot. They had it there about six weeks ago when I was in there shopping. You might also be able to pick it up at a fairly reasonable price on eBay.