I was wondering if anyone has tried Photogrammetry Before,

Well, the plan is to take photos of an object in an orbiting pattern with 20-40% overlap(without forgetting the top photos as well) crunching it into recap360, then fixing the mesh in Oculus medium VR software, then continue onto 3dsmax to make the "scan" into a game asset.

I put a link to the wiki if anyone wants to find out 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photogrammetry

as I use Oculus medium as a tool to make the mesh, and I came across one of the spotlighted artists

I did think this is a cool working practice

I just want to make a note I don't work for Oculus or have any partnerships with Oculus, facebook or any of there subsidiaries,

I just think this is a cool way to work and make new stuff and sometimes it leads to new things that may end up in a game that you may play in the future. 

What is the object you want to turn into a 3D model?

Don't use Recap Photo, it's not suited for production. Agisoft or Capturing Reality.

I got a model kit of a Challenger 2 that I want to try it on and I using recap as I got a student copy of it as I'm starting my Game art degree In September plus It would be a cool addon to an art portfolio.

This is something the UnderSiege mod and myself have actually been preparing for quite a while now. Hopefully we will have something significant to show off in a month or two.

18 minutes ago, J. McMerry said:

I got a model kit of a Challenger 2 that I want to try it on and I using recap as I got a student copy of it as I'm starting my Game art degree In September plus It would be a cool addon to an art portfolio.

Paint it up first before you do anything. What scale is the model?

Well, the Challenger 2 and as90 is in 1/35 and Challenger 1, warrior, Merlin hc3 and quad bikes are 1/48, to prep the models I was going to give them a base primer in grey and give it a light wash in black to show the detail.

I have the impression that this is unfit for any detail, using a pure photogrammetry setup. Yes you can get the scale and basic shape and all well, but the actual detail (those that matter) will not transfer across properly using low grade setups. So you will end up having to build an entirely new model on top of it, LP and HP by hand and remodel all the detail, because thats actually easier and has better results than trying to repair/transform the scan data into something you can use.

It's mostly used for props in the industry - which makes sense. Nobody will want to waste their time modelling a dozends of objects to assemble a virtaul heap of garbage for example - so they scan it in, bake it down into LP/texture - great. "Hero assets" (weapons, vehicles, characters) generally not scanned - at least not with low-end capturing equipment and software.

Definitely has it's uses, and worth trying for yourself, but dont expect too much from it.

The actual high grade stuff uses laser scanners to get the surface detail properly, and combines that with photos to overlay them for the texture. There are compact hand aparatii that can do this (seen at a tech convention 2 years ago) but i dont remember what their price was back then.

36 minutes ago, x3kj said:

I have the impression that this is unfit for any detail, using a pure photogrammetry setup. Yes you can get the scale and basic shape and all well, but the actual detail (those that matter) will not transfer across properly using low grade setups. So you will end up having to build an entirely new model on top of it, LP and HP by hand and remodel all the detail, because thats actually easier and has better results than trying to repair/transform the scan data into something you can use.

It's mostly used for props in the industry - which makes sense. Nobody will want to waste their time modelling a dozends of objects to assemble a virtaul heap of garbage for example - so they scan it in, bake it down into LP/texture - great. "Hero assets" (weapons, vehicles, characters) generally not scanned - at least not with low-end capturing equipment and software.

Definitely has it's uses, and worth trying for yourself, but dont expect too much from it.

The actual high grade stuff uses laser scanners to get the surface detail properly, and combines that with photos to overlay them for the texture. There are compact hand aparatii that can do this (seen at a tech convention 2 years ago) but i dont remember what their price was back then.

Photogrammetry actually works better than most scanners out there. The only good scanners cost an upwards of 15k USD so...

But yeah this largely depends on what you are scanning. For instance this vehicle will be too plain unless it isn’t painted and photogrammetry will not find enough unique points. Even if you take a toothbrush and dab little spots of paint around on it in a contrasting color it helps a lot for the software to link images.

It really just depends how the scan comes out if you need to redo the HP, but for most organic stuff (what we are using it for) you do not need to. For mechanical hard surface items you probably would in order for it to bake smooth. But it can be very useful reference for modeling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J. McMerry said:

Same here, also Game Design Degree (with currently a course in propper photogrammetry), but try to get Agisoft. It will improve the workflow massively even when its very expensive.
You can use that toolkit, but have you ever scanned before or read tutorials about it? There are some things you have to keep in mind.

Regarding the color, use dark grey with the mattest surface you can create or paint.

2 hours ago, x3kj said:

"Hero assets" (weapons, vehicles, characters) generally not scanned - at least not with low-end capturing equipment and software.

1 hour ago, warden_1 said:

Photogrammetry actually works better than most scanners out there. The only good scanners cost an upwards of 15k USD so...

But yeah this largely depends on what you are scanning. For instance this vehicle will be too plain unless it isn’t painted and photogrammetry will not find enough unique points. Even if you take a toothbrush and dab little spots of paint around on it in a contrasting color it helps a lot for the software to link images.

It really just depends how the scan comes out if you need to redo the HP, but for most organic stuff (what we are using it for) you do not need to. For mechanical hard surface items you probably would in order for it to bake smooth. But it can be very useful reference for modeling.

To quote Trump:

tenor.gif?itemid=6220235 

Scanners have a massive advantage over photogrammetry. Just yesterday I worked with a professional scanner (forgot the name, can check on tuestday, but its a stereoscopic for €80,000), and the detail they can produce is staggering. They can create Vertices with a resolution up to 0,01mm.

UPdivtI.jpg

We used this for mesh creation and then photogrammetry of the same piece (in this case the lower skull of a horse) to get the textures, and then bake both down to a "lowpoly"-ish mesh with ultra sharp textures.
wOnmJwo.jpg

I know you said "up to 15k" - but this was more against the statement "photogrammetry is better".... :P 

The gist is:
Paint your object matte dark grey, get a lighting setup as you can see in my second picture.

Take the pictures with a very small aperture (big number), preferably f/16 or f/22 and a very slow shutter speed while having the camera on a tripod. Learn Agisoft. Check the forum on how to take pictures.
If above terms of photografy are bohemian villages - Please check those out before you start doing this. It's way more complicated than it first sounds in order to get decent results.

I can show of some my latest stuff in a bit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redphoenix said:

its a stereoscopic for €80,000

Well there you go lol.

If you can’t afford a really nice scanner photogrammetry is better. Simply put.

14 hours ago, warden_1 said:

Well there you go lol.

If you can’t afford a really nice scanner photogrammetry is better. Simply put.

better is the wrong word. It's the only option available - with the limitations i mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1