Sign in to follow this  

Iran working on nuclear weapons

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/12/13/iran.nuclear/index.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States accused Iran Friday of "actively working" on a nuclear weapons program and said that recent satellite photographs of a massive nuclear power construction project "reinforce" that belief.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said two facilities seen in the photographs "are not justified by the needs of Iran's civilian nuclear program."

"There is no economic gain for a state that's rich in oil and gas like Iran to build costly nuclear fuel cycle facilities," he said. "I point out that Iran flares more gas annually than the equivalent energy its desired reactors would produce."

Boucher added: "We've reached the conclusion that Iran is actively working to develop nuclear weapons capability."

But International Atomic Energy Agency Director-General Mohamed ElBaradei, in an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour, said the chief of Iran's atomic energy program had told him in September that the construction was for a 6,000-megawatt nuclear power facility.

Gholamreza Aghazadeh also said that Iran planned to declare the facilities to the IAEA and would welcome IAEA safeguards, according to ElBaradei.

The Iranians invited ElBaradei to bring an inspection team to look at the sites, but a visit scheduled for this week was postponed until February by Iranian authorities.

U.S. officials told CNN Thursday that the United States had evidence Iran had been secretly constructing large nuclear facilities that could possibly be used to make nuclear weapons and that the IAEA had not been able to visit them.

Commercial satellite photographs taken in September and obtained by CNN show the construction near the town of Natanz and another near Arak within Iran, one of three countries President Bush has labeled an "axis of evil." (View map)

"The circumstances are fairly interesting and lead to the conclusion ... that this nuclear program in Iran is not peaceful and certainly is not transparent," Boucher said.

Iranian officials disputed the charge.

"I can categorically tell you that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program," said Mohammed Javad Zarif, Iran's ambassador to the United Nations.

Iran has one publicly declared nuclear program at Bushehr -- what its government says is used solely for peaceful purposes, to produce electricity.

"Iran hasn't committed any acts that can be considered against international rules, and will not do so in the future," Hamid Reza Assefi, a spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, told CNN. "At the same time, no country could, for its own political objectives, prevent Iran from achieving its own goals."

"This kind of publicity is not new," he said. "Certain circles within the United States are trying to create tensions and poison the international atmosphere, and to avert international public opinions away from the real regional danger, which is Israel."

Boucher said the two facilities "reinforce our already grave concern that Iran is seeking technology to produce fissile material for nuclear weapons."

The IAEA commissioned the satellite photographs after an Iranian opposition group talked about the construction at a news conference in August, ElBaradei said Friday.

"We saw them, we asked the Iranians about them, and they said, 'yes,' and invited us to visit," he said.

"I wouldn't say it was 'weird' " that Iran had not at that time notified the agency of the construction, he added, "but it would be nice if they had told us earlier."

"The suspect uranium enrichment plant, for example, could be used to produce highly enriched uranium for weapons," he said. "The heavy water plant could support a reactor for producing weapons grade plutonium."

The facilities near Natanz and Arak are of particular interest to the agency and will be part of the February visit, IAEA spokesman Mark Gwozdecky said.

"Everybody's looking at the same satellite photos," he said, "and they're consistent with the facilities being alleged -- one is a heavy water plant and the other a uranium-enrichment facility."

"But that's not the end of the story either," he added. "Iran is entitled to have these facilities as long as it declares them to us and allows us to put them under our safeguards."

<span id='postcolor'>

Just a random thought: perhaps this is the real reason for the coming Iraq war. Iran would be too strong and dangerous to take on now while they obviously pose a higher threat to the world then Iraq. So it can't hurt to have military bases in Iraq in case action is needed. Well, I'm probably just paranoid, but it makes sense to me xmas.gif

But we already have Afghanistan for a parking lot. wink.gif

I think it's just the Bush administration being paranoid, and understandably so after Sept. 11th.  IMO it's only fair that Iran let inspectors take a look at their nuclear site and see what they have going on.

They do make a point thoug.  What does Iran need for a nuclear plant for when they're sitting on all that oil.

That juciy... sweet... black oil.

... mmm...

xmas.gif

Maybe the Iranians have become semi-conservationists and dont want to polute the air by burning oil......... tounge.gif

I will not draw a conclusiin on what the Iranians are up to until the inspectors go through, although it wouldnt surprise me if the Iranians were trying to make nukes on the sly (Im another paranoid person)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Dec. 14 2002,06:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/12/13/iran.nuclear/index.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States accused Iran Friday of "actively working" on a nuclear weapons program and said that recent satellite photographs of a massive nuclear power construction project "reinforce" that belief.

State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said two facilities seen in the photographs "are not justified by the needs of Iran's civilian nuclear program."

"There is no economic gain for a state that's rich in oil and gas like Iran to build costly nuclear fuel cycle facilities," he said. "I point out that Iran flares more gas annually than the equivalent energy its desired reactors would produce."

Boucher added: "We've reached the conclusion that Iran is actively working to develop nuclear weapons capability."

But International Atomic Energy Agency Director-General Mohamed ElBaradei, in an interview with CNN's Christiane Amanpour, said the chief of Iran's atomic energy program had told him in September that the construction was for a 6,000-megawatt nuclear power facility.

Gholamreza Aghazadeh also said that Iran planned to declare the facilities to the IAEA and would welcome IAEA safeguards, according to ElBaradei.

The Iranians invited ElBaradei to bring an inspection team to look at the sites, but a visit scheduled for this week was postponed until February by Iranian authorities.

U.S. officials told CNN Thursday that the United States had evidence Iran had been secretly constructing large nuclear facilities that could possibly be used to make nuclear weapons and that the IAEA had not been able to visit them.

Commercial satellite photographs taken in September and obtained by CNN show the construction near the town of Natanz and another near Arak within Iran, one of three countries President Bush has labeled an "axis of evil." (View map)

"The circumstances are fairly interesting and lead to the conclusion ... that this nuclear program in Iran is not peaceful and certainly is not transparent," Boucher said.

Iranian officials disputed the charge.

"I can categorically tell you that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program," said Mohammed Javad Zarif, Iran's ambassador to the United Nations.

Iran has one publicly declared nuclear program at Bushehr -- what its government says is used solely for peaceful purposes, to produce electricity.

"Iran hasn't committed any acts that can be considered against international rules, and will not do so in the future," Hamid Reza Assefi, a spokesman for the Iranian Foreign Ministry, told CNN. "At the same time, no country could, for its own political objectives, prevent Iran from achieving its own goals."

"This kind of publicity is not new," he said. "Certain circles within the United States are trying to create tensions and poison the international atmosphere, and to avert international public opinions away from the real regional danger, which is Israel."

Boucher said the two facilities "reinforce our already grave concern that Iran is seeking technology to produce fissile material for nuclear weapons."

The IAEA commissioned the satellite photographs after an Iranian opposition group talked about the construction at a news conference in August, ElBaradei said Friday.

"We saw them, we asked the Iranians about them, and they said, 'yes,' and invited us to visit," he said.

"I wouldn't say it was 'weird' " that Iran had not at that time notified the agency of the construction, he added, "but it would be nice if they had told us earlier."

"The suspect uranium enrichment plant, for example, could be used to produce highly enriched uranium for weapons," he said. "The heavy water plant could support a reactor for producing weapons grade plutonium."

The facilities near Natanz and Arak are of particular interest to the agency and will be part of the February visit, IAEA spokesman Mark Gwozdecky said.

"Everybody's looking at the same satellite photos," he said, "and they're consistent with the facilities being alleged -- one is a heavy water plant and the other a uranium-enrichment facility."

"But that's not the end of the story either," he added. "Iran is entitled to have these facilities as long as it declares them to us and allows us to put them under our safeguards."

<span id='postcolor'>

Just a random thought: perhaps this is the real reason for the coming Iraq war. Iran would be too strong and dangerous to take on now while they obviously pose a higher threat to the world then Iraq. So it can't hurt to have military bases in Iraq in case action is needed. Well, I'm probably just paranoid, but it makes sense to me  xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

The only real reason for a war in Iraq is oil, and to distract the Americans from their own problems in their own country...And Bush seems to be doing really well on that....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kip Kilaganâ„¢ @ Dec. 14 2002,09:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only real reason for a war in Iraq is oil, and to distract the Americans from their own problems in their own country...And Bush seems to be doing really well on that....<span id='postcolor'>

....whatever

What's the problem anyway, even little ol' Belgium (probable) has nuclear (boy that's one daaaamn hard word) weapons.

Everyone has these things...

Why aren't we being nucked yet?

You probable need just one jet to bomb half my country...

Oh well, you better be carefull, cuz i'll be waiting for those dumb jets with my slingshot in my right hand, and my bag full of supersonic rocks in my left pocket!!!!!!

Its not a nuclear factory for god sake!!! its just a children toys factory!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only real reason for a war in Iraq is oil, and to distract the Americans from their own problems in their own country...And Bush seems to be doing really well on that....<span id='postcolor'>

Don't even start... mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Dec. 14 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Never leave a man behind"

<http://ofpstunts.opflash.org/forums/images/smiles/icon_twisted.gif>

Compromise is Communism. <span id='postcolor'>

Oxymoronic (actually contradictory) beliefs... communism aims at not leaving a man behind. Even if it doesn't work well, and got very bad in many places.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Dec. 14 2002,17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only real reason for a war in Iraq is oil, and to distract the Americans from their own problems in their own country...And Bush seems to be doing really well on that....<span id='postcolor'>

Don't even start...  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Just saying what I think , if u got problems with that, just dont read it, and dont bother to comment...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kip Kilaganâ„¢ @ Dec. 14 2002,18:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Harnu @ Dec. 14 2002,17:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only real reason for a war in Iraq is oil, and to distract the Americans from their own problems in their own country...And Bush seems to be doing really well on that....<span id='postcolor'>

Don't even start...  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Just saying what I think , if u got problems with that, just dont read it, and dont bother to comment...<span id='postcolor'>

Havent you figured out that if you attck the sacred cow that is The War on Terrorism, it gets our American friends all in a tizzy?

After all, if it isnt about Freedom, Justice and The American Way... then maybe it's less than wholesome. And while it's easy for the average american to believe their government is 'out to get them', but is lilly white and wonderful in how it treats the rest of the world.

That being said, I think the US policy in the persian gulf is not nearly as simplistic as 'we need oil'

It is really quite interesting since two out of the three Axis of Evil ™©® are developing nuclear weapons and yet the one that isn't is getting bombed.

But I digress. We have an Iraq topic already xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Dec. 14 2002,19:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But I digress. We have an Iraq topic already  xmas.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I didnt started on Iraq, just commented on your post....

Hum.. from charter member in The Axis of Evil™ to the first victim of Saddam Hussein, back to lead villain in Nuclear Evil.  I wish the US would make up it's mind on Iran!

And I'd rather Iran have a nuclear plant that has been inspected and truly is for gerating power than have them burn off all those hydrocarbons and kill the environment even more!

I think personally it is very bad that Iran is getting nuclear weapons. I think they are entiteled to those weapons just as much as the US or Russia, which means not. I think however that Iran having nuclear weapons is a bit worse. Although they have gone through many reforms in the last years, they are still a fundamentalist theocratic society, and we all know that religious fanatism and big weapons are seldom a good combination.

What a depressing world we live in sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Dec. 14 2002,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think personally it is very bad that Iran is getting nuclear weapons. I think they are entiteled to those weapons just as much as the US or Russia, which means not. I think however that Iran having nuclear weapons is a bit worse. Although they have gone through many reforms in the last years, they are still a fundamentalist theocratic society, and we all know that religious fanatism and big weapons are seldom a good combination.

What a depressing world we live in  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. But then, I think any nuclear proliferation is bad...even if another western nation was getting them. I am not so negative about nuclear energy though. ANd so as long as the site is properly inspected and not being used to breed fissile materials for wweapons purposes... I say let them have their power plant.

I think we should also while we are about it have a little rummage around in America's weapon depots to see if they are breaking any treaties or researching unconventional weapons that need to be controlled to maintain a balance of power. But then again if America is being naughty with the 40 billion it spends on 'black projects' then why shouldn't Britain be? Or Germany? Or France? Or Russia?

Okay let's get the weapon inspectors into the white house after they do Saddam's palaces and into every country that might well be evil ..... especially Switzerland! lol

They just sit there being rich and pretending to not be interested in alliances and war, but really they are building a uber army of genetically modified skiers with unconventional snowballs strapped to their bodies!

As you can tell i'm feeling quite silly and need to go find my pills. Where the hell are my Judy Garland records damn it! mad.gif

Well damn..

According to this report, it seems like North Korea has decided to up the ante and see how the US responds.  Though it strikes me as a rather absurd series of threats and rantings... much like a rather small dog yapping at the heels of a viscious bear.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 14 2002,21:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well damn..

According to this report, it seems like North Korea has decided to up the ante and see how the US responds.  Though it strikes me as a rather absurd series of threats and rantings...  much like a rather small dog yapping at the heels of a viscious bear.<span id='postcolor'>

pretty much sums up North Korea's action. they always make (empty) threats just about everyday.

tounge.gifxmas.gif

what nuclear reactor?

Oh the one that the Russians have been bulding for em for years

ah so what if its cleaner and cheaper, who wouldn't want to burn things.

Must be foul play.

</sarcasm>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrMilli @ Dec. 15 2002,02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what nuclear reactor?

Must be foul play.

</sarcasm><span id='postcolor'>

They're not allowed to have nuclear weapons. They were doing it secretly and eventually fessed up for some reason. It doesn't matter who built it for them, they're just not allowed to have them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 14 2002,22:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They're not allowed to have nuclear weapons.<span id='postcolor'>

Says who? confused.gif If USA, Russia and a number of other countries have it, then North Korea and Iran can have it too.

I disagree with any of the middle east having nuclear weapons at the moment. For the most part they are too un-stable and so religious, some group may get their hands on one and and become "martyrs". Not good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 14 2002,21:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrMilli @ Dec. 15 2002,02:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what nuclear reactor?

Must be foul play.

</sarcasm><span id='postcolor'>

They're not allowed to have nuclear weapons.  They were doing it secretly and eventually fessed up for some reason.  It doesn't matter who built it for them, they're just not allowed to have them.<span id='postcolor'>

missed the point mate.

Nuclear reactor does not make nuclear weapons.

The two are totally different in use and design.