Sign in to follow this  
Vikingo

Russian btr70

Don't know how they do it over there, but the little yellow people were very adept at making our unexploded bombs into

anti-vehicle command detonated mines.

In OFP troops cannot fire their weapons on top of a vehicle therefore making them sitting ducks to enemy. And there is no difference in the case of mines or rockets in OFP, when they hit the vehicle all will die without depending where they sit.

So, I suggest that the preference to sit in BTR-70 is first the compartment THEN the roof if there is no space inside. In OFP game terms sitting on roof is suicidal - you're better of riding trucks in that case!

Please change preferences to sit inside first + extra men outside. And it still will be cool smile.gif

Well, in the real world, AT mines can be stacked on top of one another, it's done all the time.

I do feel sorry for them, when I see bodies and APC parts flying through the air. How do you know it wasn't an AT mine or regular explosive? Proof?

I consider placed charges and purpose built mines to both be mines anyway.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Dec. 26 2002,07:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In OFP troops cannot fire their weapons on top of a vehicle therefore making them sitting ducks to enemy. And there is no difference in the case of mines or rockets in OFP, when they hit the vehicle all will die without depending where they sit.

So, I suggest that the preference to sit in BTR-70 is first the compartment THEN the roof if there is no space inside. In OFP game terms sitting on roof is suicidal - you're better of riding trucks in that case!

Please change preferences to sit inside first + extra men outside. And it still will be cool smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Trust one of my own countrymen to support me xmas.gif

Couldn´t have said it better myself.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Dec. 25 2002,12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do you know it wasn't an AT mine or regular explosive? Proof?

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

The explosion was far too big to be either a single mine or even any believeable stack of them. if it was done by guerillas, they wouldn't be into wasting a lot, when one would do the job. Using multiple mines is something that is done by an army that has plenty. More likely to be a lot of cheap, maybe even home made explosive.

As for your second comment; I suppose that could be true of any explosive charge. But what I mean when I say mine is an efficent pre-packaged device for inflicting damage on either men or materiel.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Dec. 26 2002,13:04)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Dec. 25 2002,12:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How do you know it wasn't an AT mine or regular explosive? Proof?

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

The explosion was far too big to be either a single mine or even any believeable stack of them. if it was done by guerillas, they wouldn't be into wasting a lot, when one would do the job. Using multiple mines is something that is done by an army that has plenty. More likely to be a lot of cheap, maybe even home made explosive.

As for your second comment; I suppose that could be true of any explosive charge. But what I mean when I say mine is an efficent pre-packaged device for inflicting damage on either men or materiel.<span id='postcolor'>

I agree. During my Army engineer training at Ft. Leanordwood Missouri we did alot of training with mines and saw alot of videos showing what mines can do including large AT mines.

Generally they are shape charged and blow straight up. Unless the vehicle was packed with ammo, they generally don't make a gigantic explosion like in that video. Look on the net for pictures struck by AT mines and you'll see that usually it's just the front part of the vehicle that's blown up. In that video the force of the blast just obliterated the entire vehicle. I imagine it was an inexpensive but powerful fertilizer type bomb. Pack a fuel drum with cheap home made explosives (potassium phosphate if I remember correctly is what is derived from the fertilizer), bury it, and then detonate when a vehicle passes over and you get something like what you saw in that video. Anyways... back on topic.

I agree with others that the troops should FIRST ride inside and then only the extra troops that don't fit should sit on the roof. That'll give mission makers more options. Still I like how the troops look like sitting on the top. It looks more realistic even if it is suicidal in OFP. smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

It was a BTR60 in that movie, not 80, and the people on it are duhi (afghans, not russians, as many of you think)....and ummmmmm........that was an at mine that've caused the explosion smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ZLOY @ Dec. 26 2002,23:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It was a BTR60 in that movie, not 80, and the people on it are duhi (afghans, not russians, as many of you think)....and ummmmmm........that was an at mine that've caused the explosion smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Common mistake thanks to comments on a certain website.

They are Russian

It is Chechnya, 1996

KavKaz.org (which is currently down) host the clip with further details.

It was a BTR-70, I don't have the clip anymore but you can notice it by the rear of the APC, and it was a command detonated device (hence why the APC is almost over it when it goes off and why some bugger is taping the whole lot, if you plant a mine you don't stick around to take pictures.)

If you watch that clip you can see why they would ride on top, some of those guys outside could of survived, wouldn't be playing football again but anyone in that vehicle would of been killed, if not by the explosion then by becoming Airbourne infantry for a few seconds and getting thrown back down again.

As for the OpFlash model (the point of this thread) I like it. If you could shoot from on top that would be great, but I think there would be some engine limitations there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ Dec. 27 2002,14:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i've got a little question. how do i make the soldiers sit like this?

i can only make them sit like they're on grandma's sofa. biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That's weird, they sit exactly like the top pic when I've used the addon... confused.gif

Perhaps a daft question; is it possible to have them riding on top with setbehaviour"careless"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Common mistake thanks to comments on a certain website.

They are Russian

It is Chechnya, 1996<span id='postcolor'>

I think they are Russians, but it not Chechnya. It was Afghanistan.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KavKaz.org (which is currently down) host the clip with further details.

<span id='postcolor'>

Better to watch SCI-FI channel, it is more reliable...

yeah I know but they host it and they are the only ones who have officially provided any background about it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wardog @ Dec. 27 2002,19:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Perhaps a daft question; is it possible to have them riding on top with setbehaviour"careless"<span id='postcolor'>

well i've tried that, but they're still sitting like a couple of faggots on top of that baby! (no offense)

i've noticed that they only ride on top of the winter version. maybe i've got a bad version of the addon? confused.gif

i've downloaded it from ofp.info.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blake @ Dec. 26 2002,06:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In OFP troops cannot fire their weapons on top of a vehicle therefore making them sitting ducks to enemy. And there is no difference in the case of mines or rockets in OFP, when they hit the vehicle all will die without depending where they sit.

Please change preferences to sit inside first + extra men outside. And it still will be cool smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I agree 100% with this post.  We use the BTR-70 a lot in our missions and it's a pain, not to mention unrealistic when the first couple of guys that board the BTR, are forced to sit like prized puddings on the roof, rather than inside where it's safer.  Priority should be given to sitting inside, then after the internal capacity is filled the extra soldiers can sit outside.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AKM74 @ Dec. 27 2002,19:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Common mistake thanks to comments on a certain website.

They are Russian

It is Chechnya, 1996<span id='postcolor'>

I think they are Russians, but it not Chechnya. It was Afghanistan.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">KavKaz.org (which is currently down) host the clip with further details.

<span id='postcolor'>

Better to watch SCI-FI channel, it is more reliable...<span id='postcolor'>

Cechnya, Afghanistan, BTR-60, BTR-80...that doesn't matter as to whether it was a AT mine or not. Whatever the case, I've had training with AT mines and I can tell you with 98% certainty that the explosion was not caused by a standard AT mine. Yes it was a land mine in the sense that it was a buried explosive that was detonated (most likely command detonated). However it was not a standard pre-packaged Russian, American or European land mine unless it was some monster AT mine that I've never heard of.

If anyone knows better please post the type of AT mine used if they know for a fact what it was.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

And here's how the last 2% comes in  smile.gif (although im not saying that this is what where being used)

This mine

pic2.jpg(best picture i could find)

Is a yugoslav built AT mine. Undet the war in bosnia these mines, which are made to be stacked on top of each other, where buried 3 or 4 on top of each other and connected so they all go off at the same time. So it is possible to have that kind of explosion from a AT mine. But i doubt that it is on that clip since it goes off on the middle of the BTR.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dkraver @ Dec. 30 2002,18:00)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And here's how the last 2% comes in  smile.gif (although im not saying that this is what where being used)

This mine

pic2.jpg(best picture i could find)

Is a yugoslav built AT mine. Undet the war in bosnia these mines, which are made to be stacked on top of each other, where buried 3 or 4 on top of each other and connected so they all go off at the same time. So it is possible to have that kind of explosion from a AT mine. But i doubt that it is on that clip since it goes off on the middle of the BTR.<span id='postcolor'>

I suppose that it's possible that stacked mines were used however a single one would have done the job easily on a BTR-70... but like you said, usually they don't go off in the middle of the vehicle unless they have some kind of delayed fuze or something. At any rate, the mines in OFP do a pretty good job on the BTR-70! smile.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>