Sign in to follow this  
BaronVonRed

Revolver vs. auto pistol

I used to believe in the semi's because of their high clip capacity and speed of reload (with pre-loaded clips).

That is, unitl 1998, when my partner became permanently paralyzed from the waist down due to his S&W 9mm semi-auto pistol jamming while he was firing a second shot.

Ever since then, I carry only revolvers: a .357 magnum (7-shot) as a primary, and a .38 special (5-shot) backup (all titanium very light). When on personal time, I usually just carry the the .38SP.

And to make this thread OFP compliant: I even equip myself with the revolver whenever possible even there even though I know the auto's won't jam in the game! I'm really glad they included the revolver when they added the pistols in. Although I do wish they would fix the animation when running with pistol - looks kinda sissy-like (j/k) ha ha!

Does anyone else (legally) carry, and if so, what is your preference and why? Is your real life preference consitent with your OFP personality?

M1911A1 IRL,

It's cheap, the ammo's cheap, it's reliable to the point of being Russian smile.gif and it ignores bodyarmor

(don't matter to me if the guy lives or dies, as long as he ain't getting up)

99% of all handgun miss-fire is due to either user-maintenance or wrongfully used (also the user is the reason here too).

Revolver vs. Pistol ?

Pistol always smile.gif

Higher ammo-capacity and quicker to reload +all pistols except Glocks are more safe to carry than a revolver because of safety-features.

I'm not going into specific features like dureability and precission because this is different on all models from all brands and last but not least; what ammo is being used (factory vs. home-loaded).

pistol of course.

Here is my standard P8:

0.58E?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

cal: 9x19

ammo: 15 shots

and this one is my personal gun only used for the job:Glock 25

g25.jpg

cal: .380 Auto

ammo: 17 shots

Pistol smile.gif

My Walther P99:

p99.jpg

(mental note: must clean gun sad.gif )

I had a Glock 17 in the military and I liked it as well. I don't see any advantages that a revolver might bring. As for safety the P99 has three independent automatic safeties. Never had any problems with them.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Dec. 13 2002,17:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My Walther P99:

p99.jpg<span id='postcolor'>

lol denoir, is that your survival kit? A P99 and Resistance? biggrin.gif

wow.gif9--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LowLevelFunctionary @ Dec. 13 2002,18wow.gif9)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">lol denoir, is that your survival kit?  A P99 and Resistance?<span id='postcolor'>

That's my moderating toolkit  wink.gif

The inquisition used a bible and a sword. I use OFP:R and a P99 xmas.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Dec. 13 2002,15:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">99% of all handgun miss-fire is due to either user-maintenance or wrongfully used (also the user is the reason here too).<span id='postcolor'>

I think this is a very good comment. Here in BC, I have a few friends that are security guards on armoured cars. They all carry revolvers, even though I know they own automatics. Why?

The AG in BC made a law that all security guards MUST carry a revolver. Why? They did a check on automatics, and far far too many were incapable of firing because of poor maitainance. Seems a majority of the security guards dont properly clean their sidearms. And since a revolver covered in doughnut dust and cookie crumbs is generally more reliable than an automatic treated similarly, the revolvers got the nod.

I just cant imagine treating something that might be the only thing between you and some bad guy intent on your bag of money like that. It's astounding. I've looked into taking the security courses and working for an armoured car company...and I cant imagine not cleaning my weapon and staying in practice at the range!

The most accurate pistol I ever fired was a custom built '38 revolver. I wish I could show you guys a picture of it. It was pretty funky loooking.

As for preference: In a war time situation It would depend on the location. In the desert, where sand would get into your gun no matter how hard you tried to keep it clean, I would prefer a revolver. Any other place, I'd take a semi-automatic.

semi auto. xmas.gif

first thing that came to my mind when i tried revolver was, 'ah screw this, back to semi-auto.'

AFAIK, the energy that is exerted on your gun is used to move the slide backwards, and less will exerted vertically. thus i like it. with revolver, all energy is transfered to point where it recoils upwards. yuk.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BaronVonRed @ Dec. 13 2002,05:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is, unitl 1998, when my partner became permanently paralyzed from the waist down due to his S&W 9mm semi-auto pistol jamming while he was firing a second shot.<span id='postcolor'>

First of all, I'm truly sorry to hear about your partner's accident.

Second, could you shed some more light on this event? I'm trying to figure out exactly what happened, and I can't see how a malfunction could have caused those injuries. Firing out of battery or even an obstructed barrel should not result in such massive injuries, and the latter can clearly also happen with a revolver.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Frag @ Dec. 13 2002,19:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BaronVonRed @ Dec. 13 2002,05:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is, unitl 1998, when my partner became permanently paralyzed from the waist down due to his S&W 9mm semi-auto pistol jamming while he was firing a second shot.<span id='postcolor'>

Second, could you shed some more light on this event? I'm trying to figure out exactly what happened, and I can't see how a malfunction could have caused those injuries. Firing out of battery or even an obstructed barrel should not result in such massive injuries, and the latter can clearly also happen with a revolver.<span id='postcolor'>

good guy's gun jamming + bad guy's gun not jamming + firefight = nasty stuff

anyway , i like semi-auto pistols

i like my PAMAS(Bm92fs) with its 15 rounds mag smile.gif

Here is what Ole Tales has Vaquero.jpg

This is a Ruger Vaquero. It's a classic Old West single-action firearm. It comes in a variety of calibers.

Mine is a .45 Long Colt. For you savvy firearms folks, this is like a .45 ACP except the shell casing is twice as long. The bullets travel slow around 800 - 900 feet per second (fps). What this means is that it has more stopping power. Here is a pic of a long colt shell

45lclddtavert.jpg

This is my favorite. The barrel is 4" 5/8. I have the fast draw model. It shoots like a cannon.

Thanks ran, for some reason it didn't even occur to me that the injuries might have been a direct result of fire from the opponent. I'm pretty dense sometimes...

I'd have to say that what happened to his partner is just one of those unfortunate things that you have no control over. This could have happened with any kind of firearm, because any mechanical device can (and will eventually) fail.

Revolvers have the advantage of a simpler design, so there is less of a chance of failure, but they are definitely not immune.

My own personal preference is still towards pistols, for the same reasons given by others, but there are only two pistols in my collection that I will stake my life on because they have have never had a malfunction and have proven themselves 100% reliable over the years and through many 1000s of rounds of firing.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Second, could you shed some more light on this event? I'm trying to figure out exactly what happened, and I can't see how a malfunction could have caused those injuries. Firing out of battery or even an obstructed barrel should not result in such massive injuries, and the latter can clearly also happen with a revolver.

<span id='postcolor'>

Thanks for the sympathy, highly appreciated. confused.gif Pretty much like "ran" said. The bad guy in question was using a 12ga, partner had already tagged him and had the drop on him. I was going around the other side of an alley to come up behind the bad guy (and make sure he was alone). When my partner heard me coming, he looked away just for an instant to verify it was me, bad guy went for it but was coming from a lowered position, partner fired, but gun jammed, the rest is rather messy. The bad guy didn't survive wink.gif

Shadow:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

99% of all handgun miss-fire is due to either user-maintenance or wrongfully used (also the user is the reason here too).

<span id='postcolor'>

That may be true of civilians. Do you have that statistic for professionals? Rodney was a gun safety FREAK with years of military and operative training/experience. I can assure the jam was not due to any of the reasons you mentioned, although I agree with the stat in the civilian world.

I am at the range at LEAST once a month and there is always at least one jam while I am there mad.gif but I cannot vouch for the maintenance of those guns.

Also, safety is not an issue with modern revolvers (I assume you are referring to the hammer/pin clearance of the old days). The only way my guns will fire is if the trigger is pulled. Dropping the weapons will not cause it to fire, and even if the hammer snags on clothing on the way out and is released, it will not fire (the 'ole half pull) unless the trigger is pulled.

how the hell did your friend get paralised ? the thief or whetever used slugs or rimfire ?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 13 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how the hell did your friend get paralised ? the thief or whetever used slugs or rimfire ?<span id='postcolor'>

Slug went through abdominal area and hit the spine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BaronVonRed @ Dec. 12 2002,21:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 13 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how the hell did your friend get paralised ? the thief or whetever used slugs or rimfire ?<span id='postcolor'>

Slug went through abdominal area and hit the spine.<span id='postcolor'>

[dumb mode 'on'] What's a slug?[Dumb mode stuck on 'on']

You should not feel safe with a revolver also. I have seen a bullet rip open the top of a 44 mag revolver. (A guy I knew showed me the gun) I would have thought this never could have happened. I use a H&K USP 40. biggrin.gif I think he said the reason it did that was because he did not clean the gun.(what we think the problem was) Also you should never buy reloads!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Dec. 13 2002,20:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BaronVonRed @ Dec. 12 2002,21:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 13 2002,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">how the hell did your friend get paralised ? the thief or whetever used slugs or rimfire ?<span id='postcolor'>

Slug went through abdominal area and hit the spine.<span id='postcolor'>

[dumb mode 'on'] What's a slug?[Dumb mode stuck on 'on']<span id='postcolor'>

Like a really big bullet - used in shotguns in place of buckshot, etc.

Aaaaah yes, I always thought that those are normally used for hunting boars and stuff like that...

nasty , one of my coworkers once got hitted with some kind of rimfire shot in the leg , since now , he is at 15% invalid (that's what's written on his insurance papers) and can only do paper work he almost totally lost the use of his leg

got shot at several times myself , but fortunately i've never been hitted and i don't know anybody who's been killed in service

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Dec. 13 2002,20:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aaaaah yes, I always thought that those are normally used for hunting boars and stuff like that...<span id='postcolor'>

Actually, the slug is used for a variety of applications these days, including boar hunting! tounge.gif

slugs3a.jpg

You can also make them saboted nowadays:

http://www.corbins.com/slugs.htm

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DarkLight @ Dec. 13 2002,20:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Aaaaah yes, I always thought that those are normally used for hunting boars and stuff like that...<span id='postcolor'>

the normally are