Sign in to follow this  
Ixian

Red dawn russian helo

I'm sure most of you OFP freaks have seen a good movie from the 80's called Red Dawn. I still have it on VHS lol. Anyways what kind of Russian helo is that in the movie? Has anyone made that helo addon yet?

Are you talking about the part where the three helos attack the main cast? I think those were Sea-Kings mocked up to try and represent MI-24s (al-la 'Rambo 3'). I would imagine it would be quite difficult for film makers to get their hands on a genuine Hind.

Ya I was thinking the exact same thing. Figured they probably did make it or somehow borrowed them from a country that bought soviet equipment. It looked futuristic with the funny design.

any pic of it ?

and the helo in rambo was a modified puma

mi24_4.jpg

i believe this was it. i have this movie too, for those that haven't seen it, don't watch it! don't even waist time and money renting it! its very cheesy and totally unrealistic, who ever written this movie should be shot. heres a link to a site that has a 60 sec clip from the movie itself, just click on "VIVO" and scroll down a bit till you find "Mil Mi-24 Hind"

this is a puma helo with a lot of makeup

I think Red Dawn is a pretty good movie.  Its somewhat like OFP:Resis.  THe commies invade and they(a few high school students) go up into the mountains and fight them.

I thought it was a great movie. Showed what America was really afraid of during the cold war. And if you're looking for realism in movies you shouldn't watch movies from the 80's. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ya I was thinking the exact same thing. Figured they probably did make it or somehow borrowed them from a country that bought soviet equipment. It looked futuristic with the funny design. <span id='postcolor'>

Remember, in those days, the Soviets wern't big on hiring their gear out to western filmmakers.

These days it's easy to get your hands on a Mi24.

Red Dawn... Yes, those where the days. Evil red commie invaders against a brave group of young freedom loving Americans. Ahhh, if things could be that black & white again. You have to realize that even though the concept of a Soviet Invasion of the United States seems rediculous to us now, back in the early 80's people were seriously afraid that something like that could happen. I think it's a classic, but I can understand if some of you younger folks in here think it's the cheesiest thing you've ever seen.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lazarus_Long @ Dec. 08 2002,05:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">back in the early 80's people were seriously afraid that something like that could happen.<span id='postcolor'>

and 70's, and 60's, and 50's, LOL

The cold war was almost funny in retrospect.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ Dec. 08 2002,01:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've seen that film.

So cheesy indeed, really lacks realism.

Though the plot is realistic.<span id='postcolor'>

The plot is realistic?!?

*falls over laughing*

Cubans and Soviets invade the US for wheat. biggrin.gif And then, a High School football team lead by Mr Dirty Dancng manages to kick the Soviets butt all over Nebraska or wherever the hell they were.

And this is realistic to you?

All righty then smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ Dec. 08 2002,03:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Necromancer- @ Dec. 08 2002,01:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've seen that film.

So cheesy indeed, really lacks realism.

Though the plot is realistic.<span id='postcolor'>

The plot is realistic?!?

*falls over laughing*

Cubans and Soviets invade the US for wheat. biggrin.gif And then, a High School football team lead by Mr Dirty Dancng manages to kick the Soviets butt all over Nebraska or wherever the hell they were.  

And this is realistic to you?

All righty then smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

glad somebody agrees w/ me! this movie is just about on the same level of cheesiness as "Walker, Texas Ranger" is. i've seen Van Dam movies better than this.

Again, if you're looking for realism, movies (especially ones from the 80's) are not the place to look.

lol, that should be common sense.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Dec. 08 2002,04:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Again, if you're looking for realism, movies (especially ones from the 80's) are not the place to look.

lol, that should be common sense.<span id='postcolor'>

80's movies with some realism:

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

Hamburger Hill

It's less a function of when the movie was made than it is a function of the goals of the producers, no?

Is it the same helicopter that Dolph Lundgren (the best actor in the universe wink.gif) fights in 'Red Scorpion'? I remember it had some crop-dusting equipment on it (to spray the civilians with some nasty chemical), and Dolph shot it down with some crappy non-existant double-barrel machine gun in the final showdown...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mr. Snrub @ Dec. 08 2002,10:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is it the same helicopter that Dolph Lundgren (the best actor in the universe wink.gif) fights in 'Red Scorpion'? I remember it had some crop-dusting equipment on it (to spray the civilians with some nasty chemical), and Dolph shot it down with some crappy non-existant double-barrel machine gun in the final showdown...<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing at your name and avatar.

*snort*

If I could learn history by watching movies I'd be a happy man with a history major.

Well as long as you're laughing with me, and not at me wink.gif

For one of my history units at uni we had to watch some movies, but unfortunately they aren't along the lines of Red Dawn smile.gif If only someone would make a Kung-Fu / Action movie where the bad guy was Hitler smile.gif

that was a long time ago though, most of us wouldn't even remember what the title of the thread is.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Dec. 07 2002,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">any pic of it ?

and the helo in rambo was a modified puma<span id='postcolor'>

Indeed it was. My bad.