Sign in to follow this  
brgnorway

The Iraq Thread

Two divisions actually, according to Sky news. I'll believe it when I see it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Mar. 20 2003,08:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">On a more serious note I wonder if there will be airstrikes throughout the day, or if nothing will happen until tomorrow night when it is assumed that the 'shock and awe' bombing campaign and the ground attack will begin.  There are rumors that a Iraqi division near the Kuwaiti border is about to surrender.  They are about 2/3 of the Iraqi troops in far southern Iraq.<span id='postcolor'>

Can we just ditch that lame shock and awe phrase? Let's just call it what it is: Blitzkrieg- rolls off the toungue much better. And I wouldn't be surprised if the rumors of prearranged surrenders were true- not only would it save thousands of Iraqi lives, but it would guarantee the surrendering Iraqi commanders a position in post-Saddam Iraq. A very equitable situation for all parties involved, if it works out well.

Is there no catchy name for the operation yet? That "Liberty Shield" refers only to the defensive measures taken in USA now. Why is there no name? Have they used up all platitudes? They can be combined you know:

Operation Liberty Force

Operation Liberty Storm

Operation Infinite Liberty

Operation Freedom Fries

etc etc..

Why is there no name? confused.gif I demand a name that I can ridicule! crazy.gif

Just saw on BBC that RAF pilots were involved in the strike's but that they "weren't carrying bombs."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 20 2003,16:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there no catchy name for the operation yet? That "Liberty Shield" refers only to the defensive measures taken in USA now. Why is there no name? Have they used up all platitudes? They can be combined you know:

Operation Liberty Force

Operation Liberty Storm

Operation Freedom Fries

etc etc..

Why is there no name?  confused.gif  I demand a name that I can ridicule!  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I heard on the TV that its been called Operation Iraqi Freedom.

How original...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 20 2003,08:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't laugh any more then at Bush's reference to "God on our side", "God bless our troops" etc etc

I think that abusing religion in secular matters is appaling no matter if it's Muslims or Christians that do it.<span id='postcolor'>

I see no "abuse" of religion here by Bush and nothing appaling about his reference.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Mar. 20 2003,08:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is there no catchy name for the operation yet? That "Liberty Shield" refers only to the defensive measures taken in USA now. Why is there no name? Have they used up all platitudes? They can be combined you know:

Operation Liberty Force

Operation Liberty Storm

Operation Freedom Fries

etc etc..

Why is there no name?  confused.gif  I demand a name that I can ridicule!  crazy.gif<span id='postcolor'>

How about Operation Desert Bitchslap? No? Too risque? Well damn.

Wow, this thread has exploded, almost 20 pages in one day. wow.gif

Anyways, I don't find Bush's religious references to be offensive at all. The whole "God bless America" thing has been in use for a long time. I beleive he states it more out of tradition than of belief. Alot of Christians vote for the Republicans anyway. It's a good way to keep them happy.

Back on topic: This war could go either way, if U.S. troops find stockpiles of chem/bio weapons that were never claimed by the Iraqis, or if Saddam uses them, then Bush would have effectively proved all of his critics wrong. And I will have a good laugh at all the anti-war types expense. But the opposite could happen.

Is Saddam smart enough not to use WMD and hide any stockpiles and try to make himself a martyr? Or is he crazy enough to use WMD in an attempt to stop the coalition at any cost?

What do you guys think?

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about Operation Desert Bitchslap?<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, best name I've heard yet. tounge.gif

Where's that picture of that girl slapping that guy that Avon always posts? biggrin.gif

I vote for naming it Operation Mustache Trim. smile.gif

If Saddam has them and can use them, he will, IMO. But chances are he won't resort to that until he is either on his last stump or has secretly fled to safety and left clear instructions behind.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Mar. 20 2003,09:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Where's that picture of that girl slapping that guy that Avon always posts?  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

summer18.jpg

Hope you'll be safe in Israel avon lady.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (edc @ Mar. 20 2003,10:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hope you'll be safe in Israel avon lady.<span id='postcolor'>

The children are all in school, packed off with their lunch and gas masks.

No, they don't have chile for lunch! mad.gif

Bush is calling it 'Operation Iraqi Freedom' so I presume that is what the operation is indeed called.

Debka reports first Iraqi missile attack against Coalition forces in Kuwait.

Earlier I heard a report from Radio Monte Carlo that a handful of oil wells near the Kuwait border were set ablaze.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ Mar. 20 2003,10<!--emo&wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Debka reports first Iraqi missile attack against Coalition forces in Kuwait.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, MSNBC (news alert). and Dagens Nyheter (Swedish ) says that too No report on casualties though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ Mar. 20 2003,10:33)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Reading the letter at http://www.michaelmoore.com/ its clear that Moore is genuinly pissed off. He is usually not as emotional and much more sarcastic.

<span id='postcolor'>

Michael Moore is delusional in one aspect. His claim that nobody in America does support a war, which simply isn't true. Most of his other points are howver valid.

Some other interesting developments. CSPAN reported that the earlier US attacks were exclusivly directed at Saddam Hussain and that the operation was not under military command but CIA. Also they reported (unconfirmed) that the claim that Aziz has been shot was a CIA attempt of trying to track him down by foricing him to go on TV and issue a denial.

I also do not think that making references to god in the President's speech was an abuse of religion.

What is heartening to me is the way in which even the anti-war movement constituents (well those with some sense) have been able to make the distinction between the soldiers and the government and support the soldiers while they disagree with what the government has chosen to have them do.

Air raid sirens are sounding in Kuwait City. AFP reports mass panic and that people are trying to leave the city. The rockets that earlier hit Kuwait did according to the US military not do any damage and did not contain any "unconventional substance".

I find it amusing that Bush claims that God is on his side, while the Pope is against the war. I thought the Pope outranked the President of the US when it came to being in touch with the All Mighty.

Guess Bush will be heading for the Vatican next. smile.gif

Religion is funny.

Here is the story of the CIA led attack on Hussain this morning. It failed and Saddam later delivered a live TV message proving that he was still very much alive. The initial US claim that it was a pre-recored message was dismissed quickly since Saddam mentioned today's date in his speech.

Edit: The air alert in Kuwait city was apparently a false alarm but it created substantial panic among the civilian population. AFP reports that a lot of people tried to leave the city in a hurry when the sirens started to sound.

Edit2: Reuters has unconfirmed information that three US and one Kuwaiti servicemen were killed in this mornings retaliatory attack from Iraq. US officials say that several more missiles are incoming.

Give some links...Would suck if they died already though.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 20 2003,11:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Give some links...Would suck if they died already though.<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, can't provide any English links. I'm picking most of it from a Swedish military newsfeed that just pipes data from the different news agencies.

Here is the best I can do, but it's in Swedish: Dagens Nyheter.

Latest version is that the Kuwaiti deny that anybody got hurt and that one of the two scuds have been shot down by a patriot missile. Also US military officials have confirmed that several more missiles are on the way.

I'm looking at CNN, FoxNews and BBC - why are they lagging so far behind? Fox and BBC have just now mentioned the scuds for the fist time while the attack was 1h 30 minutes ago.

confused.gif

Well, don't you think it's possible that he may have recorded a few of these speeches mentioning todays, tomorrows and a few other days dates, plus today was his deadline day etc he doesn't seem to mention times or any other information that would be concrete that he is alive. Personally i think your probably correct, but just a thought..