soolie

RTS Gamemode - Discussion

Working on an RTS game mode and looking for some feedback. Please tell me what you think.

New video

Edited by soolie
  • Like 7

Since you asked for feedback on some things in the video, here I am, giving my two cents (Some are just suggestions/ideas):

1. PVP or COOP?: I recommend designing it to work in both situations.  It'd be cool if you could have a more than 1 Zeus against each other (Meaning, more than one controlling Blufor Zeus).  Personally, I enjoy cooperative experiences a lot more.
  2. Civilian Penalty: Negating experience from the killing faction and awarding it to the opposing one may be a good idea.
  3. Civilian Life Cycles: Awesome.
  4. Floating 3D Enemy Icons: I like it.  Have you considered making the color of the enemy icon to be side specific?  For instance, if it's Independent, make it dark green?  Then again, maybe that information is redundant.
  5. Time Acceleration: If the civilians have legit life cycles (Work in the day, go home at night) then it'd be a good idea to add some time acceleration for players to experience it more often.
  6. Special Abilities: It'd be cool if you earned "special abilities" as a reward for completing difficult tasks, like completely wiping out a town of Independent.  Abilities such as a A-164 Wipeout gun-run or something (CAS module) would be cool.
  7. Squad messages: Events should be reported from squad leaders to the Zeus players in control of them, to help with the Zeus' situational awareness.  Maybe have a button to easily enable/disable it locally. (In case 1 guy building a base doesn't wanna hear that shit, while the other Zeus is handling the situations)
  8. Fog of War: All Independent markers should be grey/black upon mission start and then turn Green or Red when you discover them.  Discovery could be based on one of your guys getting within 400m of the markerPos or something like that. Just an idea!
  9. Can't Drag Your Units Around in Combat/When Enemies Near Unit: Great idea, good job.
  10. Lose Ability to Move Object After It's Built: Also great.  Maybe try to prevent certain objects from colliding, maybe, if that's not already in.

Overall, looks great.  The main pro with it being singleplayer is you can speed up time and movement of everything and it's more accessible to people with shitty internet.  Aside from that, coop is always great fun and PVP could be cool too.  Looking good.

9 hours ago, phronk said:

Since you asked for feedback on some things in the video, here I am, giving my two cents (Some are just suggestions/ideas):

Thanks for taking the time to give such a well thought out response.
I think with the way I'm designing it I may need 1 version for sp/co-op and 1 for pvp (no problem!)
3d icons different colors may be a little redundant but that's fine. It would be super easy to change and the more information given to the player the better, and this would allow the player to prioritize their targets.
Time acceleration, Special abilities, Squad messages and the Fog of war are all amazing suggestions that I will be adding :)

Added a new video, let me know what you guys think!