Kyancyan

Vehicle Creation Tips/Advice?

Hey folks, would love some aid/advice to complete a goal

First off, I've been working on a vehicle in Blender that I'd like to add to ArmA 3 for myself and my friends, however I've run up against two big walls which could stop me from reaching my goal at all.

1. I have absolutely zero mod-making experience.

I only just yesterday downloaded the ArmA 3 tools, as well as GIMP, and I don't even have a clue what I'm meant to do with these alien, unfamiliar programs.

2. I have difficulty learning without guidance.

I work best with a mentor, somebody who know's exactly what they're doing, but unfortunately that's not an option for me with ArmA 3, I don't know anyone who could assist me directly or otherwise.

All in all, my hopes to have my vehicle working, even at a very basic level (Moving, shooting) seem slim to nonexistent at this point, and it feels like I've got nowhere to turn to for help except here.

Summed up, what I'd like to achieve is to get a working vehicle of my own Blender design, into ArmA 3, but I will most likely need somebody's help to do so.

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section, please move it if necessary.

Spoiler

8c17e98e6e5673cab3a47a87299d0bbc.png

Thanks for checking this post out!

I know you said you'd like a mentor, but sometimes the best thing you can do is look into a mod similar and change things, see what does what. In your case, I highly recommend looking at the Arma 3 Samples when it comes to the config side. In terms of importing your model to Oxygen, Katie Byrne did a good tutorial, start to finish of importing models etc etc (link will be below). If you've got any burning questions, I'll try my best to help!

Here's a link to her channel too: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwA5wd50HYLa-ZY80LSAg3w

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

I'll tell you right now that there will be hours of research and frustration. Especially when working with object builder. Also as Flinty said, the A3 samples are very helpful. Also using Mikeros tools to see the "real world" application and setting up your P drive. Feel free to PM me I wouldn't mind helping out the best I can. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far Flinty and Martin, I'm really glad to get such a lightning fast response.

Will be taking a look at those videos, and also downloading the Samples and such.

Also since you use Blender Id recommend FHQ BlenderToolbox so you can pretty much bypass using Object Builder.

This thread might be better suited for the Arma 3 - Editing section of the forums btw. 

Got it, thanks for the heads-up HorribleGoat, I'll be sure to post similar articles in that section next time.

I also appreciate the note on that FHQ Toolbox, I'll be sure to check that out!