Sign in to follow this  
suchey

Mission editing contest

Here is the money they offer for winners but check out their rules. They are a bit off I guess. Why they pay more for C&H and A&D is a miracle to me as a good coop map affords lots more work than this simple structured maps. Anyway I wont participate cause they demand to be unique owners of the maps once they are handed in.

C&H => $30

A&D => $30

COOP => $25

CTF => $25

Those rules make me think they don't know much about editing at all smile.gif

Like Balschoiw pointed out: a lower prize for a coop-missions (which usually require a longer development-time)

and their las rule: All maps submitted will become property of 1st Battalion 8th Marines

Atleast that rule made my decission to attend or not real simple smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Shadow @ Nov. 22 2002,13:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and their las rule: All maps submitted will become property of 1st Battalion 8th Marines<span id='postcolor'>

So what they can do is grab the best mission submitted, change it to say it was made by them, and then keep the prize money for themselves tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Nov. 22 2002,15:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">C&H : Capture and Hold

A&D: Attack and defend

Yeah shadow same here.<span id='postcolor'>

No, shadow no tounge.gif. That I didn't knew some abbreviations doesn't mean I know too little about mission editing as Balschoiw !  biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif  j/k

But I have little experience wit MP mission editing. I have almost no oportunity for proper testing.  confused.gif

I referred to this :

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Atleast that rule made my decission to attend or not real simple

<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gifbiggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Balschoiw @ Nov. 22 2002,06:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here is the money they offer for winners but check out their rules. They are a bit off I guess. Why they pay more for C&H and A&D is a miracle to me as a good coop map affords lots more work than this simple structured maps. Anyway I wont participate cause they demand to be unique owners of the maps once they are handed in.

C&H => $30

A&D => $30

COOP => $25

CTF => $25<span id='postcolor'>

Yes and for that kind of money they can, you know... biggrin.gif

It takes more than 1 hour to make a mission, at least a winner should get 5x development payrate. confused.gif

I guess it's a symbolic gesture. Better than nothing. smile.gif

These guys are really something </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> * All maps submitted will become property of 1st Battalion 8th Marines.

<span id='postcolor'>

For $30 or most likely $0? ROFL tounge.gif

And I was thinking maybe I could rework an old coop map of mine if the contest would only end Jan 1st or later.

I'd rather there be no "cash" prize at all. The fact that any missions submitted become their property is UNACCEPTABLE. Why in the hell would anyone work there arses off on a mission that is freely distributable anyway, only to have it become the property of someone else?

I think it's insulting at worst and ill-conceived at best.

I wish that OFPEC would revive its OFP Oscars again. Although mission judging is a HIGHLY subjective endeavour, it really brings out recognition for some good missions that otherwise you might never hear about, mainly because they're popular in a different country than the one you normally play in.

Yes it is rather odd that they wish to own your mission, I might send in a mission for a laugh. A waypoint leading over a hill to 100 Russians.

I also would like to see a mission contest without money involved, I play OFP for fun not for money smile.gif

RED

I dont think they meant that they will take the missions and say it was made by them...I think they meant this in a broad sence in that they would be allowed to use the mission as they choose on their servers.

What "property of" means that they can modify, take from, sell, publish the mission and scripts to their liking.

So why not say that only the winning missions will become property of 1.8th bla bla bla.

Or that winning missions may be distributed by 1.8th bla bla bla.

Well I didn't know this would create so much bad press!  Really guys, as Suchey has stated, it is so that we would have the right to place it on our server without complaints of thief.  I appreciate all the comments.

The sole purpose of the contest is to make use of good addons to make good maps.  We have great addons/maps, that nobody uses because of fear of incopatabilty with guests on their server.  We felt that by having a contest and standarizing the addons, we (as a community) could have wider use of great addons in really good maps.

If the rule of "owned by 1-8th" bothers everyone that is considering participation, please consider it removed.  We had intended to zip the finalists up anyway for all to have and enjoy.

I am not a map maker.  However, I am amazed at the map editing talents of this community; I just wish we could incorporate addons in a standardized manner.  I felt that this was a good procedure to accomplish that task.

If the cash prize is not enough, I am sorry.   That is all my wife budgeted for this project...  smile.gif   However, if others would like to contribute to get the dollar figure up, it would be much appreciated and welcome (then we could call it the 1-8th/[your name here] map editing contest - or if you out do me, [your name here]/1-8th marines map editing contest).

Respectfully,

DC

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DavieCrock @ Nov. 22 2002,18:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well I didn't know this would create so much bad press! Really guys, as Suchey has stated, it is so that we would have the right to place it on our server without complaints of thief. I appreciate all the comments.<span id='postcolor'>

You are going to have to reword that requirement then. Because that's not what it says. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DavieCrock @ Nov. 22 2002,18:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">bn880.. please read the updated rules..

thanks<span id='postcolor'>

Ok, new rule is much better. Thanks. When is the contest over?

I for one think its a great idea and hope that it pumps some much needed lifeblood back into the player vs player mission editing scene.  There are alot of great single player and co-op missions coming out all the time, but quality player vs. player missions trickle out at a much slower pace.  I look forward to seeing what kind of work is generated for this contest.  Its a safe bet that the winning submissions in the player vs. player categories will become regular installations on the dedicated server my site is affilited with. I know there is a TON of talent out there in the mission editing community and hope to see more of these folks working their magic with some really good missions suitable for player vs. player.

I'm not blasting the amount of the cash amounts, but I think you could get mission editors, etc. to compete without it.

OK then Karillion.. if you win.. I won't pay you.. LOL

In regards to the question on duration of the contest.  The rules state at least 6 months.  This is so new editors may increase their chance of winning after a little practice. It is also in place to allow for increased number of submissions.

Thanks for all the comments.

Sound good, I will try and find some time over christmas to enter a mission smile.gif

RED

Well... After some late input on the rules (that we all agree on), the contest will end on Jan 15th to prevent lack of follow through and follow up (which usually wanes prior to 6 months in the online gaming world).