Sign in to follow this  
advocatexxx

Going to war with iraq?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 21 2002,15:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 21 2002,20:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">fuck it. This is already too off topic for offtopic.<span id='postcolor'>

No, it's not. News discussions and current events are not too offtopic. As for exactly where the line goes, it is at the moderators discretion. I think however that we are fairly consistent.<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Off-topic forum is here so that you can discuss things that are somewhat related to the game, but not about the game itself. The forum subtitle reads:

"about wars, military conflicts and everything what pertinent to Army"

Even if this forum section is called Offtopic, it is still part of Operation Flashpoint discussion board - and any topics that are completely unrelated to OFP can be closed or deleted. We see no reason why we should dedicate our bandwidth and hosting space to such discussions.

If you want to talk about something else or about nothing at all, there is plenty of spaces on the web where you can do it (like public chat rooms, some newsgroup or IRC). <span id='postcolor'>

So I guess we got to start to talk about the schools (or lack of) on Nogova, Everon and Malden.

-=Die Alive=-

Are you telling moderators how to do their job? You know how upset a cop gets when one tells him how to do his?

I posted this because the headline mentioned USA possibly going to war with Iraq but that 89% of Americans can't even point it out on the map. I guess it's somewhat military-related. confused.gif

Die ALive, I will point you to my previous post

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Same here, but I also agree with Tovarish, especially the US since they are a superpower and are pursuing various wars. <span id='postcolor'>

And now it is related to war.

What beer will you be drinking when you're watching headlines of the war that hasn't even fucking started yet?

IS this worth of a thread too?

-=Die Alive=-

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ Nov. 21 2002,21:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So I guess we got to start to talk about the schools (or lack of) on Nogova, Everon and Malden.<span id='postcolor'>

This is the relevant emphasis:

"and any topics that are completely unrelated to OFP can be closed or deleted"

It doesn't mean that all topics not related to OFP will be closed, but that they can be closed.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 21 2002,13:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

I got a perfect score<span id='postcolor'>

Wow, you must be very proud. A 12 year old kid should know the answeres to those questions.<span id='postcolor'>

how about not being an a*****e about it? jeez.

Guest BratZ

Im from the US and how can we know all that much when we have been lied to all our lives.

I find some of those test scores hard to believe..How could some of those other countries get good scores like that?

They must have tested people in the US military or immigrants compared to colleges in other countries.

But seriously we don't even have the proper impression of indians as we have been lied to all our lives.

Most of the bad stuff we have done in the past gets all turned around,we don't have a clue...I live by a motto...Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Nov. 23 2002,17:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I find some of those test scores hard to believe..How could some of those other countries get good scores like that?<span id='postcolor'>

Good scores? All scores were terrible! Sweden that had the best score had on average 14 out of 20 questions right. That is not good!

Besides, the survey was done by the National Geographic society, an American organization. I highly respect their work in general, so I don't see any reason why not to trust them now.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Nov. 23 2002,11:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Im from the US and how can we know all that much when we have been lied to all our lives.

I find some of those test scores hard to believe..How could some of those other countries get good scores like that?

They must have tested people in the US military or immigrants compared to colleges in other countries.

But seriously we don't even have the proper impression of indians as we have been lied to all our lives.

Most of the bad stuff we have done in the past gets all turned around,we don't have a clue...I live by a motto...Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see!<span id='postcolor'>

I think their findings are accurate, they appear to be.

I just watched a Canadian comedy show yesterday "This hour has 22 minutes", and it was 1 hour of hillarious displays by US students, professors (even Harvard), and politicians (even Bush) as to how little they know about Canada and the world.

Most believed that Canada just got it's first University.

Most believed Canada did not have a harbour... ROFL

Most believed that Canada is thinking of getting rid of the commonwealth flag, and that the hockey puck would make a better flag than another choice: maple leaf

Most believed Canada was going to start hunting polar bears in Toronto

Most didn't pick up that Jean Chretien is not Toronto's mayor.

Bush did not pick up that Jean Putin is not Canadas prime minister.

etc.

They also told American citizens that Canadians got those horrible scores when it came to geography and knowledge of their own country, they were discusted. smile.gif

Then they told some more Americans that Canadians rank much lower on education tests than Americans, and 80% of Canadians are basically retarded. They asked if Canadians should do something about it or embrace their stupidity as part of their culture... most Americans agreed that it's better to embrace it. well, it was the funniest hour I had in a long time...

They polled people in Northern / North Eastern most parts of the US, so New York state was big on the list.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Nov. 23 2002,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They must have tested people in the US military or immigrants compared to colleges in other countries.<span id='postcolor'>

Errr? Why would you assume that those of us in the military are clueless in regards to geography?

I think there are a number of explanations for the results. The first of all, it is social segregation. If you compare the results of the different countries you will see that it is highly proportional to that. USA has a lot of universities and schools in general that are without a doubt world leading. The thing is that a very small portion of the population attend those. This is due to different national ideals/policy.

In USA if you are smart or rich, you have a good chance of getting a good education. American ideals are based on individual success and individual enterprise. The good side of that is that you invest in the best and you encourage progress. The bad side of it that the many unmotivated and poor people remain uneducated.

Sweden for instance has different ideals. The goal there is that you give everybody the same premisses: there are very few private schools. Even the kids of the royal family go to public schools. The good side of that system is that on average the citizens get a good education. The bad side is that it opresses above average people, not encouraging progress.

Which system is better? -It entirely depends on what you want with the society; i.e political orientation.

The other explanation is that America is largely self-sustaining. Almost all the products that you use are American, you only have American TV. Very few Americans go abroad etc. The same thing can explain Japan's poor results.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ Nov. 23 2002,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The other explanation is that America is largely self-sustaining. Almost all the products that you use are American, you only have American TV. Very few Americans go abroad etc. The same thing can explain Japan's poor results.<span id='postcolor'>

not really. most good appliance products are from Japan,(Sony for example) and foreign cars are slowly gaining the market share. Cheap clothings are made in China, and we import it.

US is actually a foreign borrower tounge.gif i.e. our export is smaller than imports.

but Americans go out less often. we have just about every damn thing you can think of within the border.

Japan might be somewhat different. From what I heard, their education system is f!@#ed up. they have 40 students or more per class, with heavy pressure emphasized in getting good academic standing.

and their teenager life is driven mostly by fun stuffs like animes and gameconsoles.

so for them it could be lack of proper system, not being a sedantary people.

You have to agree however Ralph, the TV in America (movies, shows and media) is very Americentric. Basically all international movies are never even heard of by US citizens, Canadians are a little better off because of the cuture mix here.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Nov. 23 2002,19:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You have to agree however Ralph, the TV in America (movies, shows and media) is very Americentric.  Basically all international movies are never even heard of by US citizens, Canadians are a little better off because of the cuture mix here.<span id='postcolor'>

actually, it runs both ways. I've seen many foreign people not knowing about movies like 'Boys in the hood' and other movies like 'Reality Bites'.(But thank god they don't know about 'Dude, where's my car'wink.gif

many US movies that make it to oversees are those with big budget that has no plots and so forth. so in other words, each coutry is also into its own views.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Nov. 23 2002,13:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">actually, it runs both ways.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but more your way. wink.gif

I'm shocked... SHOCKed...

until I came across this thread I always thought the world was flat and ended at the atlantic and the pacific.

what am I going to do now?  sad.gif

P.S.: how can I edit that silly line under my avatar? I didn't put it there. whoever wrote it: write something like LastManStanding; SurvivorType or GodsCommando, pahlease.

(I'm not a vicar. neither are most posters here. and I'm not partial to tea... )  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sam Samson @ Nov. 22 2002,22:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm shocked... SHOCKed...

until I came across this thread I always thought the world was flat and ended at the atlantic and the pacific.

what am I going to do now?  sad.gif

P.S.: how can I edit that silly line under my avatar? I didn't put it there. whoever wrote it: write something like LastManStanding; SurvivorType or GodsCommando, pahlease.

(I'm not a vicar. neither are most posters here. and I'm not partial to tea... )  biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Man, these mods sure are nasty...

Guest BratZ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Othin @ Nov. 23 2002,18:18)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Nov. 23 2002,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They must have tested people in the US military or immigrants compared to colleges in other countries.<span id='postcolor'>

Errr?  Why would you assume that those of us in the military are clueless in regards to geography?<span id='postcolor'>

Just that when I was in and from the type of people that join the military and when you are in you live a diff lifestyle and are sometimes clueless as to what is going on in civilian life and you don't learn the same things

And from my experiences, alot of the lower ranking military people often events in the world are actually hidden from them and is on a need to know basis

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Nov. 24 2002,07:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And from my experiences, alot of the lower ranking military people often events in the world are actually hidden from them and is on a need to know basis<span id='postcolor'>

What, they can't watch CNN?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Nov. 24 2002,02:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BratZ @ Nov. 24 2002,07:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">And from my experiences, alot of the lower ranking military people often events in the world are actually hidden from them and is on a need to know basis<span id='postcolor'>

What, they can't watch CNN?<span id='postcolor'>

probably training all day makes you wanna just rest, not watch 15 minute news that repeats itself again and again and again and again and again and again.....

So how is world news being hidden from them? It's available to them, they just don't want to watch it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FSPilot @ Nov. 24 2002,03:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So how is world news being hidden from them?  It's available to them, they just don't want to watch it.<span id='postcolor'>

not that they don't want to, they have hard time to. after whole day of training, I guess first thing they want to do is to rest, not watch news.

also, international news is not something you can hear and comprehend at an instance. you need to have solid background in history to comprehend what is going on. of course you can just hear it too, but it's better that you have some knowledge background. which is somewhat lacking in America's school system.

so many ppl who join military as grunts are not well-endowed with this. let's face it. thesesdays you prefer to goto college than military.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Nov. 24 2002,04:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">let's face it. thesesdays you prefer to goto college than military.<span id='postcolor'>

C'mon now, it's not an either/or proposition. I'd also bet that servicemen generally have more (firsthand) knowledge of other countries than civilians do.

Today's grunt = NOT Gomer Pyle.

<E6Hotel places cork back on end of his fork, so as not to hurt himself or others>

Semper Fi

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (E6Hotel @ Nov. 24 2002,04:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Nov. 24 2002,04:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">let's face it. thesesdays you prefer to goto college than military.<span id='postcolor'>

C'mon now, it's not an either/or proposition.

Today's grunt = NOT Gomer Pyle.

<E6Hotel places cork back on end of his fork, so as not to hurt himself or others>

Semper Fi<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'd also bet that servicemen generally have more (firsthand) knowledge of other countries than civilians do.<span id='postcolor'>

I don't know realy, but here's my thoughts: I believe that knowledge is still largely a matter of social class and we all know that most armies consisting of professional soldiers (privates) do not recruit from upper- or middle class society.

The english soldiers on naval visits or the Commandos training at Voss in Norway are not your average Joe. They were mostly pretty rough boys with an agressive attitude, and they were not someone I suspected to have any education except from the obligatory. I would be very surprized to see these boys reading The Observer or watching BBC's

"World Correspontents"! However, I do not know how the situation is in the US! I also believe that conscripts generally have a larger interest in world affairs. I served during the Kuwait war here in Norway and many - if not most - of my fellow mates not only watched the news as infotainment - but as something to perceive critically. The only possible reason for this is not that norwegians are generally "smarter" or more enlightened, rather that the conscripts come from all social strata of norwegian society. I could be wrong of course?

smile.gif