Sign in to follow this  
Matthijs

Working on combat diver

Hi all,

I wanted to make a combat diver, which seemed a little useless to me without working diving equipment, so... Inspired by Walker's wetsuit addon, I took up my mouse, quickly modelled a basic rebreather and started CPP'ing.

The bad news is: it seems to be impossible to animate it in a convincing way. Actually, I can animate it, but it looks even more stupid than than this inanimate guy sliding around on his belly.

The good news is: apart from the animation, it works. You can move relatively easily in water and while "wearing" the rebreather, and you move only very VERY slowly on land.

The pictures below are not even pre-beta, only a rough sketch to try out the mechanics, but I guess you get the idea. Any tips and suggestions are welcome.

lar7.jpg

The LAR VII rebreather unit. I still want to look into a way of picking it up.

lar7b.jpg

demonstrating the driver proxy.

More pics:

1) Combat diver (a little too close to the shore)

2) Then again, if you were the enemy, it would have been your last sight anyway

Hey mathijs that's a damn good idea m8 keep trying it it would be cool addon m8 I always wanted to swimm in OFP

Can't wait to give this a try. Certainly there must be a way to animate it to "swim" with the RTM editing that has been discovered by Fliper? Maybe you should contact fliper smile.gif

Wow! biggrin.gif This is something I like about in the OFP community; people always come up with new ideas like this.

I suppose going underwater is still impossible because of those god damn piranhas living in the sea around every OFP island? smile.gif

why not make it a vehicle you just get into? Make the rebreather act like a boat and the guy just get in as a driver. I dont know but it's just a possibility. wink.gif

If this does work, it would be one of the most important addons in ofp.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey mathijs that's a damn good idea m8 keep trying it it would be cool addon m8 I always wanted to swimm in OFP <span id='postcolor'>

It's not my idea. I got my inspiration from Walker's wetsuit addon.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Can't wait to give this a try.  Certainly there must be a way to animate it to "swim" with the RTM editing that has been discovered by Fliper?  Maybe you should contact fliper<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm... the animation is not the biggest problem. The problem is that the animation doesn't stop when lying still.

The combat diver should make a crawling motion, not a swimming motion. After all, you can't see him when in the water, only when on land.

I tried the crawling motion, but it looked like the guy lies loose on the rebreather unit (not strapped onto it), and makes a silly continuous crawling motion, like fish on the land.

The animation does stop as soon as I define the rebreather as a bike but.... bikes don't accept the CanFloat=True property.

sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I suppose going underwater is still impossible because of those god damn piranhas living in the sea around every OFP island? <span id='postcolor'>

That's not a problem at all. Works fine. Just make sure you are at the coast, before disembarking...

smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">why not make it a vehicle you just get into? Make the rebreather act like a boat and the guy just get in as a driver. I dont know but it's just a possibility.    

If this does work, it would be one of the most important addons in ofp.<span id='postcolor'>

It is a vehicle. The current trial is based (like Walker's wetsuit) on a floating car. The main difference is that this car can hardly move on land, and drives very well in water. The rebreather model is relatively small, and it's weight relatively high, so it disappears a few decimeters below the surface.

I still want to change the simulation model into a tank. That way, you can turn, even when lying stil in the water.

The reason I can't use a boat simulation, is that it will make big waves at the bow and stern.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I believe that is exactly how it is done right now. The breather has boat properties. <span id='postcolor'>

Well then.... not exactly.  tounge.gif

It's a rebreather btw. It recycles the air you breathe, so it makes no bubbles. Very useful for combat divers. Also very nice for OFP, because bubbles would be impossble to make in OFP.

wink.gif